The Student Room Group

Arc Length of a Conic

Hi,
Could anybody help me with the following question? I have attached the question in my book and my solution so far. But I am stuck and can't figure out how to continue as the integral gets too complicated to integrate. Is there something I am doing wrong or missing? I would be really grateful if anyone could help.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tesla3
Hi,
Could anybody help me with the following question? I have attached the question in my book and my solution so far. But I am stuck and can't figure out how to continue as the integral gets too complicated to integrate. Is there something I am doing wrong or missing? I would be really grateful if anyone could help.

It "says" approximately, which suggest some sort of power series.

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
It "says" approximately, which suggest some sort of power series.

Spoiler

Could you please elaborate? like Maclurin Series?
Original post by Tesla3
Could you please elaborate? like Maclurin Series?

It's in the spoiler of my first post!
Reply 4
It's in the spoiler of my first post!

Can you show how? I am a bit confused......
Original post by Tesla3
Can you show how? I am a bit confused......

Check your textbook. What's the expansion of (1+x)n(1+x)^n? Then just replace the x and n with the appropriate values. You have two binomials to expand. Have a go.
Reply 6
Check your textbook. What's the expansion of (1+x)n(1+x)^n? Then just replace the x and n with the appropriate values. You have two binomials to expand. Have a go.

I get that the denominator can be expanded using the binomial theorem but what about the numerator? It has three terms e^2 , 1 and 2ecos(theta).
Reply 7
After using the binomial theorem I get this........
Original post by Tesla3
After using the binomial theorem I get this........

Well expanding the square in the denominator hardly qualifies as requiring the full might of the binomial expansion.

Let's rewrite the integrand to make it clearer.

[1+ecosθ]2[1+(2ecosθ+e2)]12 \displaystyle [1+e\cos\theta ]^{-2}[1+(2e\cos\theta +e^2)]^{\frac{1}{2}}

Now try.
Reply 9
Well expanding the square in the denominator hardly qualifies as requiring the full might of the binomial expansion.

Let's rewrite the integrand to make it clearer.

[1+ecosθ]2[1+(2ecosθ+e2)]12 \displaystyle [1+e\cos\theta ]^{-2}[1+(2e\cos\theta +e^2)]^{\frac{1}{2}}

Now try.

wait let me try.....
Reply 10
After expansion and multiplying I get something like this. Also I neglect any e terms with power equivalent to 2 or higher. Then I simplify and integrate to get the desired result. Is it okay? @ghostwalker
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tesla3
After expansion and multiplying I get something like this. Also I neglect any e terms with power equivalent to 2 or higher. Then I simplify and integrate to get the desired result. Is it okay? @ghostwalker

Looks fine.

You made a minor slip in the second expansion - should have e^2/2 - but it doesn't effect the final outcome.
Reply 12
Looks fine.

You made a minor slip in the second expansion - should have e^2/2 - but it doesn't effect the final outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest