mattc0ws
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Iam a first year medical student, and am really unsure as to whether or not this is a pathway I want to continue down. I had a real passion at A-Level for chemistry and biological molecule topics and did at one stage just want to attend a Biochemistry degree. Now I am in the medical degree, I do not want to drop out to pursue this Biochem degree instead, in fear of making the wrong choice, wasting money (both mine, governments and families) and wasting my time (grass is greener on the other side etc). So, is there a way I can make my passion for biological chemistry my career via medicine, or shall I drop out and re apply for biochemistry next year?
mattc0ws
Rep:
?
Iam a first year medical student, and am really unsure as to whether or not this is a pathway I want to continue down. I had a real passion at A-Level for chemistry and biological molecule topics and did at one stage just want to attend a Biochemistry degree. Now I am in the medical degree, I do not want to drop out to pursue this Biochem degree instead, in fear of making the wrong choice, wasting money (both mine, governments and families) and wasting my time (grass is greener on the other side etc). So, is there a way I can make my passion for biological chemistry my career via medicine, or shall I drop out and re apply for biochemistry next year?
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mattc0ws)
It use to be the case that yiu couod pause your meducal degree to do a biochemistry degree in year 3 and then carry on with the medical degree afterwards. Can this still happen? According to Imperial college - it can!"Achieve both an MBBS and BSc qualification in this dual award degree, with direct contact with patients from the very start". Check what your uni can offer. You may be able to have your cake and eat it!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Which uni are you at? Would you be able to intercalate in biochem in 3rd year? That would give a better idea of whether it's something you'd want long term.
mattc0ws
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
It use to be the case that yiu couod pause your meducal degree to do a biochemistry degree in year 3 and then carry on with the medical degree afterwards. Can this still happen? According to Imperial college - it can!"Achieve both an MBBS and BSc qualification in this dual award degree, with direct contact with patients from the very start". Check what your uni can offer. You may be able to have your cake and eat it!
I suppose so ! I do think theres an interpolation scheme here . I shall look into it ! Thank you
mattc0ws
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Which uni are you at? Would you be able to intercalate in biochem in 3rd year? That would give a better idea of whether it's something you'd want long term.
I'll have a look at intercalating - exeter - thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (138)
52.08%
No (127)
47.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise