The Student Room Group

Should I stay or should I go

Iam a first year medical student, and am really unsure as to whether or not this is a pathway I want to continue down. I had a real passion at A-Level for chemistry and biological molecule topics and did at one stage just want to attend a Biochemistry degree. Now I am in the medical degree, I do not want to drop out to pursue this Biochem degree instead, in fear of making the wrong choice, wasting money (both mine, governments and families) and wasting my time (grass is greener on the other side etc). So, is there a way I can make my passion for biological chemistry my career via medicine, or shall I drop out and re apply for biochemistry next year?
Reply 1
Iam a first year medical student, and am really unsure as to whether or not this is a pathway I want to continue down. I had a real passion at A-Level for chemistry and biological molecule topics and did at one stage just want to attend a Biochemistry degree. Now I am in the medical degree, I do not want to drop out to pursue this Biochem degree instead, in fear of making the wrong choice, wasting money (both mine, governments and families) and wasting my time (grass is greener on the other side etc). So, is there a way I can make my passion for biological chemistry my career via medicine, or shall I drop out and re apply for biochemistry next year?
Reply 2
Original post by mattc0ws

It use to be the case that yiu couod pause your meducal degree to do a biochemistry degree in year 3 and then carry on with the medical degree afterwards. Can this still happen? According to Imperial college - it can!"Achieve both an MBBS and BSc qualification in this dual award degree, with direct contact with patients from the very start". Check what your uni can offer. You may be able to have your cake and eat it!
Reply 3
Which uni are you at? Would you be able to intercalate in biochem in 3rd year? That would give a better idea of whether it's something you'd want long term.
Reply 4
Original post by mgi
It use to be the case that yiu couod pause your meducal degree to do a biochemistry degree in year 3 and then carry on with the medical degree afterwards. Can this still happen? According to Imperial college - it can!"Achieve both an MBBS and BSc qualification in this dual award degree, with direct contact with patients from the very start". Check what your uni can offer. You may be able to have your cake and eat it!

I suppose so ! I do think theres an interpolation scheme here . I shall look into it ! Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Helenia
Which uni are you at? Would you be able to intercalate in biochem in 3rd year? That would give a better idea of whether it's something you'd want long term.

I'll have a look at intercalating - exeter - thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending