Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m asking because my book says yes but my lecturer said the only 3 things that every single living cell has is the cell membrane, some sort of chromosome or genetic material and cytoplasm
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Leah.J)
I’m asking because my book says yes but my lecturer said the only 3 things that every single living cell has is the cell membrane, some sort of chromosome or genetic material and cytoplasm
Hi!

So I believe your lecturer is wrong as ribosomes are necessary for protein synthesis (creating genetic material etc.) Therefore, all living things would need ribosomes.

Edit: excluding mature red blood cells

Because protein synthesis is an essential function of all cells, ribosomes are found in practically every cell type of multicellular organisms, as well as in prokaryotes such as bacteria. However, eukaryotic cells that specialize in producing proteins have particularly large numbers of ribosomes. - Khan Academy
Last edited by _Mia101; 1 year ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
mature red blood cells do not contain ribosomes.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your lecturer is not correct. Bacteria are living and have ribosomes like all living cells
Last edited by mgi; 1 year ago
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
except RBCs. all living cells do
lucymellor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mgi)
Your lecturer is correct. Bacteria are living but do not have ribosomes.
this isn't true. bacteria have ribosomes as they need to produce proteins just as much as eukaryotes do. the prokaryotic ribosome is smaller (70S*) than the eukaryotic ribosome (80S) and functions fairly similarly with some differences in translation factors and other things. most of what we know about translation is from studying the prokaryotic ribosome since it's simpler.

pretty much all living cells have ribosomes except for red blood cells, but these are a bit of a special case and also don't contain a nucleus, so this also technically makes your lecturer incorrect when they said every living cell contains genetic material. but RBCs are a rare exception, generally it's fine to say all cells except RBCs contain genetic material, a cell membrane, cytoplasm and ribosomes.

*S = Svedberg units, relating to how a molecule diffuses through solution - don't worry about it, all you need to know is 80S is bigger than 70S.

source: biochemistry degree
Last edited by lucymellor; 1 year ago
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucymellor)
this isn't true. bacteria have ribosomes as they need to produce proteins just as much as eukaryotes do. the prokaryotic ribosome is smaller (70S*) than the eukaryotic ribosome (80S) and functions fairly similarly with some differences in translation factors and other things. most of what we know about translation is from studying the prokaryotic ribosome since it's simpler.

pretty much all living cells have ribosomes except for red blood cells, but these are a bit of a special case and also don't contain a nucleus, so this also technically makes your lecturer incorrect when they said every living cell contains genetic material. but RBCs are a rare exception, generally it's fine to say all cells except RBCs contain genetic material, a cell membrane, cytoplasm and ribosomes.

*S = Svedberg units, relating to how a molecule diffuses through solution - don't worry about it, all you need to know is 80S is bigger than 70S.

source: biochemistry degree
Sorry. You are right. I did change my first post but clearly it didnt get through in time to replace the wrong post!
lucymellor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mgi)
Sorry. You are right. I did change my first post but clearly it didnt get through in time to replace the wrong post!
no problem!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All the living creatures on earth have these for profucimg essential proteins. The life we know as it is cannot exists without the ribosomes. The exceptions are tiny living things like viruses (they use the ribosomes of the host cell), if you would count them as living creatures like humans and animals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
28.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.1%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.27%

Watched Threads