Iamatuniversity
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm currently studying Business at university. I have an alevel in ICT. When i applied to uni, I wasn't completely sure what career I wanted to do. Now, I'd quite like to be an ICT teacher. Could I get a PGCE in Business or ICT and go on to teach ICT in a secondary school? Or would a Business degree not be relevant enough?
Last edited by Iamatuniversity; 1 year ago
student342
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Business degree would not be enough
If you have an A level in ICT, then you may be able to.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Iamatuniversity)
I'm currently studying Business at university. I have an alevel in ICT. When i applied to uni, I wasn't completely sure what career I wanted to do. Now, I'd quite like to be an ICT teacher. Could I get a PGCE in Business or ICT and go on to teach ICT in a secondary school? Or would a Business degree not be relevant enough?
ICT is no longer a curriculum subject- it's now computing/computer science and the syllabuses are quite different. I would look at the new curriculum for this subject to check it is still the sort of thing you want to teach- there is now a lot more emphasis on programing and much less on ICT skills.

If you have a look at this and decide it is still for you, Computer Science is a shortage subject, so I would contact some unis with PGCE programs and ask if they would consider an application from you.
Iamatuniversity
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
ICT is no longer a curriculum subject- it's now computing/computer science and the syllabuses are quite different. I would look at the new curriculum for this subject to check it is still the sort of thing you want to teach- there is now a lot more emphasis on programing and much less on ICT skills.

If you have a look at this and decide it is still for you, Computer Science is a shortage subject, so I would contact some unis with PGCE programs and ask if they would consider an application from you.
Yeah I did ICT at A-Level 2 years ago and I was told it had changed, I was really doubtful at first but ended up loving it!
Iamatuniversity
Rep:
?
(Original post by student342)
Business degree would not be enough
If you have an A level in ICT, then you may be able to.
Yeah I've got a high grade A-Level in ICT and like SarcAndSpark said, there's a shortage so hopefully I could find something
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could apply to teach business knowing that most schools require their business teachers to teach KS3 computing which will involve coding etc. However, it isn't hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads