Isobeldace
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve been looking since mid August but I swear no one wants to take on someone my age (16). I must’ve applied to like at least 20 and I’ve had one interview- I did it last wed and never got a response oops. Not sure if it’s an issue with my CV or whatever but yeah any advice would be nice
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Isobeldace)
I’ve been looking since mid August but I swear no one wants to take on someone my age (16). I must’ve applied to like at least 20 and I’ve had one interview- I did it last wed and never got a response oops. Not sure if it’s an issue with my CV or whatever but yeah any advice would be nice
Its frustrating, I know. Have you had an actual answer from the 20 places? You should definitely ask the place you had the interview at whether you got it, but also ask for feedback from the interview at the same time.
I'd suggest maybe called back/email some of the places you applied to as well and see if they've still got anything going.
What's your CV like Depending on your circumstances volunteering is very good to do in the meantime because it shows you can demonstrate the skills required, (not saying you've not got them, just gives more practice) plus you can still put it on your CV and job hunt at the same time.

Finally, I was wondering whether you've asked people you know such as family, friends, neighbours, etc whether they know any places which are hiring - they might even be willing to put in a good word for you, if they know anyone who works at a place which is :yep:
Isobeldace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Its frustrating, I know. Have you had an actual answer from the 20 places? You should definitely ask the place you had the interview at whether you got it, but also ask for feedback from the interview at the same time.
I'd suggest maybe called back/email some of the places you applied to as well and see if they've still got anything going.
What's your CV like Depending on your circumstances volunteering is very good to do in the meantime because it shows you can demonstrate the skills required, (not saying you've not got them, just gives more practice) plus you can still put it on your CV and job hunt at the same time.

Finally, I was wondering whether you've asked people you know such as family, friends, neighbours, etc whether they know any places which are hiring - they might even be willing to put in a good word for you, if they know anyone who works at a place which is :yep:
Aw thank you! Yeah like some of the places got back to me but some never but I’ll try and chase it up. I might actually look at a volunteering placement somewhere then that’s really good advice and would probs look good on my uni app next year. For volunteering on my CV would it go under work experience? Thank you very very much for being so helpful
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aw thank you! Yeah like some of the places got back to me but some never but I’ll try and chase it up. I might actually look at a volunteering placement somewhere then that’s really good advice and would probs look good on my uni app next year. For volunteering on my CV would it go under work experience? Thank you very very much for being so helpful
Volunteering would 100% go under work/relevant experience! Just because it is not paid does not mean that you can't use it :hugs:
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No problem!
For volunteering you could either put it under Work Experience or Hobbies and Interests (if you have that as a section).
Work experience would be more recent and would therefore higher up on your CV. its your choice though tbh
(I've still got a couple of lines about the charity shop I helped out in a few years ago which is under work experience as its relevant to the industry I'm going into_
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there!

I can see you've been given some great advice so far!

Just wanted to add that right now a lot of businesses are advertising Christmas vacancies.

You could search for these online and you can also look at some of the ones we're sharing on our social media channels. I've added our Facebook and Twitter pages for you below to search for and look into-

Facebook- NationalCareersService
Twitter- @NationalCareers

It might also be worth looking into the useful help to get a job section and using the interview and CV tips o our webiste-

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/get-a-job

If you would like some further guidance you can also chat to one of our advisers for free here- https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/webchat/chat/

I hope this helps!

Best of luck- Samrita.
Isobeldace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chronoscope)
No problem!
For volunteering you could either put it under Work Experience or Hobbies and Interests (if you have that as a section).
Work experience would be more recent and would therefore higher up on your CV. its your choice though tbh
(I've still got a couple of lines about the charity shop I helped out in a few years ago which is under work experience as its relevant to the industry I'm going into_
I took your advice and signed up to a volunteering position at a charity shop today! I really appreciate the help and am defo gonna keep looking for jobs while I’m doing rhat
Isobeldace
Rep:
?
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there!

I can see you've been given some great advice so far!

Just wanted to add that right now a lot of businesses are advertising Christmas vacancies.

You could search for these online and you can also look at some of the ones we're sharing on our social media channels. I've added our Facebook and Twitter pages for you below to search for and look into-

Facebook- NationalCareersService
Twitter- @NationalCareers

It might also be worth looking into the useful help to get a job section and using the interview and CV tips o our webiste-

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/get-a-job

If you would like some further guidance you can also chat to one of our advisers for free here- https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/webchat/chat/

I hope this helps!

Best of luck- Samrita.
Thank you very much! I’ll defo check them out now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (48)
18.97%
Labour (104)
41.11%
Liberal Democrats (51)
20.16%
Green Party (15)
5.93%
Brexit Party (7)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.58%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.98%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)