Is 8 months enough time to self study A-levels? Watch

Astrainlinat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m studying geography, psychology and maths as a private student at home and I’m wondering if 8 months is enough time to get good grades like 3 Bs in those subjects?
Hazzabear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Astrainlinat)
I’m studying geography, psychology and maths as a private student at home and I’m wondering if 8 months is enough time to get good grades like 3 Bs in those subjects?
Have you already done AS levels then? If so what were you predictedgfades in those as a private candidate?
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Have you already done AS levels then? If so what were you predictedgfades in those as a private candidate?
No I haven’t, I’m doing the two year course in a year
14yalamanchilig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
quite possible for maths. I have learnt everything, did an infinite number of math paper in a matter of 6months while studying Further Maths, Physics and product design along. I do have a friend who managed to do finish a-level maths in a matter of 4 weeks.

I didn't do the other subject os sorry caznt help
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
very possible, but this has to mean you work hard in these 8 months and not ask this question again asking if 2 months is enough etc., a lot of work spaced out over time goes a long way.

Best of luck
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 14yalamanchilig)
quite possible for maths. I have learnt everything, did an infinite number of math paper in a matter of 6months while studying Further Maths, Physics and product design along. I do have a friend who managed to do finish a-level maths in a matter of 4 weeks.

I didn't do the other subject os sorry caznt help
Thanks anyways, you studied three subjects though, how many months did you take for you to feel like you’ve covered everything. What exam board did you use? I’m going with Cambridge international
14yalamanchilig
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks anyways, you studied three subjects though, how many months did you take for you to feel like you’ve covered everything. What exam board did you use? I’m going with Cambridge international
Honestly, you could finish everything in 6 weeks but it's very important to get as much practice as possible and make sure you remember everything. I studied 4 subjects out of which I finished 3 (Maths Further Maths and Physics). The fourth one(product design) had course work and I wanted more time: I did it a year later. I did Edexcel for the 3 completed ones. and AQA for product design(Personal preference)
Punextended
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is possible. But you'll probably have to sacrifice some time on some subjects meaning you'll have less on others. Depending on your strength in those subjects. And take sufficient breaks, you don't want to burn out.
Punextended
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Which board have you chosen?
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 14yalamanchilig)
Honestly, you could finish everything in 6 weeks but it's very important to get as much practice as possible and make sure you remember everything. I studied 4 subjects out of which I finished 3 (Maths Further Maths and Physics). The fourth one(product design) had course work and I wanted more time: I did it a year later. I did Edexcel for the 3 completed ones. and AQA for product design(Personal preference)
I’ve already made my notes and made flash cards for everything. I don’t really have a good memory so I was worried 8 months would not be enough but you’ve reassured me. I definitely need to work on exam technique more than anything. Do you think revision books are enough?
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Punextended)
Which board have you chosen?
Cambridge international
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll disagree with most.

Yes it's possible but so is walking 20 miles to work each day. Not something that is done with enthusiasm and relish

It's easy to say yep I'll just sit in my room for 8 months and study 8 hours a day. Another thing to actually do it.
username4996222
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello There Kind Sole, 8 months is a NOT enough time to learn alevels, i reccomend at least 999 year
s
Hazzabear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BenBen1902)
Hello There Kind Sole, 8 months is a NOT enough time to learn alevels, i reccomend at least 999 year
s
999 years.. wow
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam277)
I'll disagree with most.

Yes it's possible but so is walking 20 miles to work each day. Not something that is done with enthusiasm and relish

It's easy to say yep I'll just sit in my room for 8 months and study 8 hours a day. Another thing to actually do it.
I get what you mean but I just want to make sure I’m not being unrealistic since I’ll be paying for my exams. I’m definitely motivated to study hard
Punextended
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Cambridge International
Well Geo is doable. I managed to do it in 4 months so you can feasibly get an A or beyond.
Punextended
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve already made my notes and made flash cards for everything. I don’t really have a good memory so I was worried 8 months would not be enough but you’ve reassured me. I definitely need to work on exam technique more than anything. Do you think revision books are enough?
Get a textbook for Geo. It has everything you'll need.
Astrainlinat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Punextended)
Get a textbook for Geo. It has everything you'll need.
Should I read around the subject? Or do you think the textbook is enough?
Punextended
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Should I read around the subject? Or do you think the textbook is enough?
Definitely read around the subject if you find the time, but the textbook should suffice. It did tend to be too wordy for my liking but they also did cover the topics in detail. You may have to sift through the some of the details to get to the main point.
You can use videos online for other topics.
And study a lot of case studies. You'll need them especially for the essay topics in Paper 3 and 4 I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Chester
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • Kingston University London
    All faculties involved Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (243)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (57)
12.67%
20-25 years old (yes) (74)
16.44%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
2%
25-30 years old (yes) (24)
5.33%