The Student Room Group

My tutor missed the early UCAS deadline. Is it impossible to go to Oxbridge?

Hi. I applied for Oxford university. I don’t expect to be accepted and that isn’t a big issue, however, it is now the 16th October and my tutor still hasn’t written my personal statement. Does this automatically rule out any chance of my even being considered by Oxbridge. There is nothing I can do?

This is really unfair because I finished my application in August. I told my tutor that I was going to submit it early and I told him that on the 14th September. I submitted my application on the 14th September and since then, I havent even seen my tutor because of work experience and he missed a lesson. I assumed he had already completed my application and sent it to UCAS by now, but today on the 16th October, I have finally seen him again and now he is telling me that he didn’t even know I submitted the application.

Surely I can’t be blamed for that? It’s completely unfair!!
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m not an expert on UCAS deadlines but surely if you were so committed to going Oxford OR Cambridge, you would’ve been chasing up this reference for weeks/months.

Seems you left your application quite late to actually submit.

Fingers crossed something can be sorted but surely you realise it was your responsibility to ensure your application (including references) was complete by the deadline.
No, if you miss the deadline, you miss the deadline, your never getting into any university.
Reply 3
Original post by CTLeafez
I’m not an expert on UCAS deadlines but surely if you were so committed to going Oxford OR Cambridge, you would’ve been chasing up this reference for weeks/months.

Seems you left your application quite late to actually submit.

Fingers crossed something can be sorted but surely you realise it was your responsibility to ensure your application (including references) was complete by the deadline.

I have been chasing up this application for 2 months. Tons of research about what the deadlines are and what they are for. And considering I submitted my application a month BEFORE the ‘early’ deadline I thought I was good.

Especially when my tutor was acting like I was a crazy person when I said I wanted to submit my application so early.

And considering nobody in my course has even started their application process yet.

And considering I had to do this completely alone because nobody has been talking about the UCAS application before now since the deadline for everybody else is November 28th and because I don’t know anybody who has ever applied to university before. Egh.
Reply 4
Original post by BenBen1902
No, if you miss the deadline, you miss the deadline, your never getting into any university.

The deadline is 28th November. MY TUTOR (not specifically me) missed the EARLY deadline of 15th October which is required by oxbridge and certain courses in other universities.
Reply 5
It's unfair.

But as you grow older you learn life is unfair. This will seem trivial in a few years.
Reply 6
Is it possible for you to ask your tutor to write in the reference it was his fault the application was not in on time?

Maybe ring Oxford and see what they say
Original post by King Emojai
Hi. I applied for Oxford university. I don’t expect to be accepted and that isn’t a big issue, however, it is now the 16th October and my tutor still hasn’t written my personal statement.

This is really unfair because I finished my application in August. I told my tutor that I was going to submit it early and I told him that on the 14th September. I submitted my application on the 14th September and since then,

Hold up, is it your tutor that actually had to write your PS or you meant reference.

One other thing, if you knew your deadline was 15th October, why risk it and wait a day before the deadline OR EVEN why did you have to wait until 14th October to send your application to your tutor.

Mostly, you are to blame. if you claim to have finished it by August then at least you would have sent it your tutor by 1st October and then be on his neck about sending it to UCAS, than waiting until 14th and then being on his neck for not sending it.
Kinda irresponsible, don't you think?

But Oxbridgedg isn't the end of the world, there is Durham, Imperial and Warick etc as you go down. Unless you were applying for medicine.
Reply 8
Original post by Shish_bish
Hold up, is it your tutor that actually had to write your PS or you meant reference.

One other thing, if you knew your deadline was 15th October, why risk it and wait a day before the deadline OR EVEN why did you have to wait until 14th October to send your application to your tutor.

Mostly, you are to blame. if you claim to have finished it by August then at least you would have sent it your tutor by 1st October and then be on his neck about sending it to UCAS, than waiting until 14th and then being on his neck for not sending it.
Kinda irresponsible, don't you think?

But Oxbridgedg isn't the end of the world, there is Durham, Imperial and Warick etc as you go down. Unless you were applying for medicine.

I meant my reference.

I didn’t wait a day. I waited a month. September and October are in different months.

True.
Reply 9
Original post by Nununu
Is it possible for you to ask your tutor to write in the reference it was his fault the application was not in on time?

Maybe ring Oxford and see what they say

Thank you, I will try those.
Reply 11
Thank you, I will try those.

Maybe dont say it to your tutor in quite the way I just said it......say it a bit nicer
I meant my reference.

I didn’t wait a day. I waited a month. September and October are in different months.

True.

Oh ****, my bad. Sorry

Then your teacher is to blame.
Making assumptions is never a good idea. AFAIK you haven't got a chance for this year.
God most of the commenters are absolute bricks it is unbelievable.

Try and call Oxford ASAP and ask them, I doubt UCAS will let you at the moment sadly, I would also make a serious complaint to the school about your form tutor as they failed to do your reference in time and hindered your application.
Hi. I applied for Oxford university. I don’t expect to be accepted and that isn’t a big issue, however, it is now the 16th October and my tutor still hasn’t written my personal statement. Does this automatically rule out any chance of my even being considered by Oxbridge. There is nothing I can do?

This is really unfair because I finished my application in August. I told my tutor that I was going to submit it early and I told him that on the 14th September. I submitted my application on the 14th September and since then, I havent even seen my tutor because of work experience and he missed a lesson. I assumed he had already completed my application and sent it to UCAS by now, but today on the 16th October, I have finally seen him again and now he is telling me that he didn’t even know I submitted the application.

I think you will be blamed for it, sorry to say.

It doesn't sound like you are getting the support you need with UCAS applications - you need to phone Oxford uni about this but going forward, please ask us on TSR any questions you have about unis/offers/UCAS - we will try and help you more than it sounds like your school/college does!

You can start a thead on the "Applications and UCAS" forum if you have any general questions not relating to Oxford

Hola Emojai,

We answered a similar query on another thread.

University Admissions send out a list of any late applicants to colleges (and to the Medical school for A100, BC90 and A101). Admissions Tutors/Coordinators are advised not to consider applications made after the deadline unless there are very strong extenuating circumstances.
The decision, however, ultimately rests with the colleges or the Medical School.

If an applicant has not submitted their application yet, the affected prospected candidate tends to notify the college he/she wishes to apply for although sometimes University admissions are also contacted. The process is the same except that if a college wishes to condone a late application University Admissions must re-open the course on UCAS to enable the candidate to apply.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending