''Are you Chinese?'' Watch

No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Walking along in a city I am visiting...

Couple approach me, Oriental lady, white guy..

Lady "Are you Chinese?"
Me ''Well, yeah'' (I'm mixed)
Lady ''Do you know where XXX (some westernised takeaway) Chinese restaurant is?''

WTF? Yes, I am Chinese and therefore know where all the Chinese restaurants are in any given city? It's like saying, ''Oh you're white, therefore you must know where all the English/French/American type eating establishments are."

-----

In a supermarket...

Old man approaches, kinda creepy guy...

man ''nee hao''
me ''eh? sorry?''
man ''nee hao''
me ''pardon? what?''
man ''THAT''S CHINESE!''

OH MY, REALLY? God, you are a bloody genius! Now leave me alone you weird man!

man ''aren't you from china?''
me ''no. i was born in berkshire.''
man ''oh *looks disappointed*''

Wrong language anyway! (HK heritage so if I could speak Chinese, it'd be Cantonese and therefore Jo San or something)....It'd be like me approaching random people in England and saying hello in Welsh or Celtic...

Anyway, I'm not making a specific point. These were just silly and annoying experiences. Anyone else?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yup....OMG you must be a bomber. :rolleyes:
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol those people are silly.

It's like when you tell somebody you are from England, "oh do you know <insert name> (e.g. john smith :p:) ?
The Lyceum
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
lol those people are silly.

It's like when you tell somebody you are from England, "oh do you know <insert name> (e.g. john smith :p:) ?
I've had a "Do you know Ewan McGreggor?" off someone. I responded with "Yes, we eagerly fellate each other at the start of each day"
edward_wells90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What mix of nationalities are you?
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol i know EXACTLY how you feel

I was walking through walsall when this posh looking old couple walk upto me

Old Man - "Excuse me, are you indian?"
Me - "Yep"
Old Man - "Would you point me to the nearest Indian resturant?"
me - "-_-, sorry no idea"
Keoje
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes but I've no idea what he said as I was in a club. I couldn't really engage in a conversation I could only partially hear so he buggered off after I blanked him.
Tucking Fypo
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
I'm Indian, and there's a Tesco where 100% of the daytime staff is Asian (night workers are 100% Polish but that's a different matter).

Anyway, I went to the checkout and the Asian looked at me and said, "where are you from?"

Me: "Pardon? From...uh, England. London, actually."

Him: "No. Pakistan? India?"

Me: "Oh. Yeah. My parents are from India."

Him: "Ah, I'm from Pakistan."

Every Asian stranger asks the same question. Happened in a Burger King once too. They all have a fascination as to whether you're Pakistani or Indian.

I happen to work at that Tesco. :ninja:
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg that happened to me too. I was standing outside a shop and this old lady comes up to me and says "Ni Hao", after sidling alongside for about 10 seconds. I said "Huh, pardon?" and she was like "oh sorry." and walked off in a hurry.

I found it hard to be annoyed because she was so endearing. Yet, this stuff is immensely annoying.

(Original post by TuckingFypo™)
They all have a fascination as to whether you're Pakistani or Indian.
There is a reason for this.
username138106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
Fu King Diks.
Two with prawn crackers please, mate.

Hooray for ethnic humour!
Keoje
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
omg that happened to me too. I was standing outside a shop and this old lady comes up to me and says "Ni Hao", after sidling alongside for about 10 seconds. I said "Huh, pardon?" and she was like "oh sorry." and walked off in a hurry.
Oh I had this happen to me too. Shame I don't understand Mandarin - and only know a bit of Cantonese.
Noctilux
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I'm white and British, and in Morocco people would shout "Fish and Chips" at me.

People of below average intelligence of all races seem to find this a fun sort of thing to do.

Water off a honky's back in my case.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm Indian, and there's a Tesco where 100% of the daytime staff is Asian (night workers are 100% Polish but that's a different matter).

Anyway, I went to the checkout and the Asian looked at me and said, "where are you from?"

Every Asian stranger asks the same question. Happened in a Burger King once too. They all have a fascination as to whether you're Pakistani or Indian.

:rofl:

They pay crap....allegedly your better off having packets of chill powder. :ninja:
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You should just go along with them and say things the sound slightly chinese. They'll either carry on with you, or just run away thinking you might axe-murder them or something.

This too reminds me of somebody I was talking to on MSN that went to America and was asked by an American if he knew the Queen, he convinced them he did infact know the queen and apprently they believe him. Haha.
Tucking Fypo
Badges: 3
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 46664)
:rofl:

They pay crap....allegedly your better off having packets of chill powder. :ninja:
I'm on £6.49 and that's after a 3% pay rise hahaha. I'd go elsewhere, I hate it there. But it took me ages to find a job and I'm ****ing off to uni later in the year anyways so I thought I may aswell stick to it.
Undiscovery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hmm I don't like it when people bring up race and identity as a starting point for conversation.

X - So, are you mixed? What are you?
Me - Oh I'm half Indian half English.

X - Wow, I went for my holiday in India. Yeh, we had an amazing time in Goa, spent the whole time on the beach, never bothered leaving the hotel and might as well been in Margate, but yeh I've been to India!
Me - Great, can I carry on filling up my car with petrol?
fleur_de_haine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had a boy in my year who was determined he had indian heritage, despite the fact that he claimed, in full, to be half jamaican, half syrian and half indian, who literally murdered my mother tongue. He would try to greet me and just leave me, well, perplexed.

I've also had, 'Oh, so you've lived in Jamaica; do you kow any of the marleys', 'Do you know how to roll a spliff' etc. ad nauseum.

I don't really have a point but meh. Ah, I've found one, some people are just plain stupid.
fleur_de_haine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

At least they asked in english, it's when they yammer away in hindi/urdu and look at you like you're stupid for not responding straight away.:eek:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm on £6.49 and that's after a 3% pay rise hahaha. I'd go elsewhere, I hate it there. But it took me ages to find a job and I'm ****ing off to uni later in the year anyways so I thought I may aswell stick to it.
Lol, good on you. I still need a job.
Harv616
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They seem to trust their own for some reason, racist gits :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads