The Student Room Group

Democrat Party altered images to make Chinese presidential candidate look shorter

Scroll to see replies

meh...
You’re really reaching now.
Reply 3
Im struggling to care im afraid...
Reply 4
He's Taiwanese, not Chinese

(Watch, that'll trigger him)
They are all standing on each other's feet.
I can't see the damn images
Going to get hate but think Kamala Harris/Bernie would do a good job, like Tulsi Gabbard too especially her foreign policy ideas though I suspect that she will not get close.

As for the image, blown out of proportion and frankly nonsense
The 'original' image is itself doctored, with the black-haired Asian chappie standing higher than the brown-shoed people nearest him - and half the participants floating in mid-air. To complain of this is laughable.
Reply 9
Original post by AngeryPenguin

NY times, not the democrat party
Original post by Good bloke
To complain of this is laughable.

The image creator himself stated:

"How a political candidate looks in photographs and on television has always been influential with some voters."

Height is well known to be one of the primary factors in how males are portrayed. For instance, the very reason there is a pervasive myth that Napoleon was short, despite him being above-average height, is because of British propaganda that portrayed him as short in order to mock him.

The image creator states "We bend over backward with images, assigning terrific photographers, videographers and visual designers to cover politics". In other words, Andrew Yang's height in the original (manipulated) image cannot have been an accident, it must have been approved by a multitude of experts beforehand, despite being incorrect.
Reply 11
I sense an inferiority complex.
Reply 12
Reply 13

He's not Chinese, he's American. He was born in America and his parents are Taiwanese.
the very reason there is a pervasive myth that Napoleon was short, despite him being above-average height, is because of British propaganda that portrayed him as short in order to mock him.

Naopleon was 5' 2" in height (1.57m) and was known by his own soldiers as Le Petit Caporal. I have personally stood alongside one of his uniforms on display and he was very significantly shorter than me (5'9").
Reply 15
Naopleon was 5' 2" in height (1.57m) and was known by his own soldiers as Le Petit Caporal. I have personally stood alongside one of his uniforms on display and he was very significantly shorter than me (5'9").

There’s no consensus on this. The argument is about whether his autopsy (given as 5’2”) was using French or British units. If it was French units then he was actually around 5’6” to 5’7”. I think nowadays most historians believe that the latter is true.
Original post by Sir Cumference
There’s no consensus on this. The argument is about whether his autopsy (given as 5’2”) was using French or British units. If it was French units then he was actually around 5’6” to 5’7”. I think nowadays most historians believe that the latter is true.

Rats. For a split second there I was thrilled at being taller than Napoleon. 😂
Original post by Sir Cumference
I think nowadays most historians believe that the latter is true.

I don't. He was examined on St Helena, on British territory, with British measuring devices. If he had been measured with a French measure it would have been a metric one, with no room for mistakes.
I don't. He was examined on St Helena, on British territory, with British measuring devices. If he had been measured with a French measure it would have been a metric one, with no room for mistakes.

I am afraid that argument doesn’t hold. Why are you 5 ft 9, not 175 cm? Because of your age relative to metrication in the UK.

All of Napoleon’s associates would have been schooled before adoption of the metric system and France had a hybrid metric/traditional system from 1812 to 1840. He could easily have been measured in French traditional measurements.

Clearly he was regarded as short by the Army but a French grenadier wearing his hat probably stood 6ft 10 or more tall.
The image creator himself stated:

"How a political candidate looks in photographs and on television has always been influential with some voters."

Height is well known to be one of the primary factors in how males are portrayed. For instance, the very reason there is a pervasive myth that Napoleon was short, despite him being above-average height, is because of British propaganda that portrayed him as short in order to mock him.

The image creator states "We bend over backward with images, assigning terrific photographers, videographers and visual designers to cover politics". In other words, Andrew Yang's height in the original (manipulated) image cannot have been an accident, it must have been approved by a multitude of experts beforehand, despite being incorrect.

This is true. Think back to the comments about Nicolas Sarkozy and how at political events he tried to counter this by standing on a box by the lecturn, or being stood next to the female members of his government.

Quick Reply

Latest