15inch Powerbook G4 - Won't turn on! Watch

Noctilux
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I REALLY need this computer to work.

Currently it turns on very rarely. Once a day maybe. Then I shut down and it does nothing when I press the on button.

The battery holds no charge (according to the battery meter when it does turn on).

But it should run off the mains alone (which is what I am going for).

If anyone can solve this permanently I will be massively grateful.

Seriously, please help if you can! Thanks!
JaSPLuNK!
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
This may help - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

My advice to you would be to go to the apple store and get a diagnosis of what they thing the problem is. I however wouldn't let them fix it for you as they will most likely charge the earth. They will let you know if it's fixable then maybe you could either attempt it yourself or get a third-party technician to fix it for you.

My friends dad had G4 ibook that needed a new HDD and the Apple store were going to charge £200 just to get a new one fitted. He couldn't be bothered to pay that much so he just gave it to me and said that if I could fix it I could have it. I fixed it - and believe me, Apple computers are not the easiest to dismantle!
Noctilux
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaSPLuNK!)
This may help - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431?viewlocale=en_US

My advice to you would be to go to the apple store and get a diagnosis of what they thing the problem is. I however wouldn't let them fix it for you as they will most likely charge the earth. They will let you know if it's fixable then maybe you could either attempt it yourself or get a third-party technician to fix it for you.

My friends dad had G4 ibook that needed a new HDD and the Apple store were going to charge £200 just to get a new one fitted. He couldn't be bothered to pay that much so he just gave it to me and said that if I could fix it I could have it. I fixed it - and believe me, Apple computers are not the easiest to dismantle!
Thanks for that! Helpful stuff.
mooseface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Was is making strange sounds before it died? I had a problem with mine where it would turn on intermitantly, and when it did id rarley get passed the login screen. Took it to get repaied and the HDD had died, apparantly a common problem on the powerbooks. Cost £118 to get a new 120Gb HDD installed and the data recovered. Not too bad as I got it for free any way! Best bet is probably get a pro to have a gander at it.
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When the charger's plugged into the computer, do any colours show on the little ring around it, where it meets the case? If not, you could have a knackered charger - which are not all that cheap.
Noctilux
Rep:
?
(Original post by thomasp)
When the charger's plugged into the computer, do any colours show on the little ring around it, where it meets the case? If not, you could have a knackered charger - which are not all that cheap.
No, it's not the charger. Light comes on etc.
nearlyheadlessian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Powerbooks are pernikity little things. Have you tried all the usual tricks which can help? For example, resetting PRAM, verifying/repairing disk permissions, or heck; even doing a full reinstall of OS? Do you have any RAM you have added? It might be causing trouble - take it out and see if it works better. Otherwise I would also diagnose bad HDD or even *gasp* a bad logic board (although if it still turns on sometimes probably the HDD).
Noctilux
Rep:
?
(Original post by nearlyheadlessian)
Powerbooks are pernikity little things. Have you tried all the usual tricks which can help? For example, resetting PRAM, verifying/repairing disk permissions, or heck; even doing a full reinstall of OS? Do you have any RAM you have added? It might be causing trouble - take it out and see if it works better. Otherwise I would also diagnose bad HDD or even *gasp* a bad logic board (although if it still turns on sometimes probably the HDD).
I will try all that tomorrow.

I don't know if this helps with the diagnostics, but I noticed two other things:

1. The battery always reads at 0% when it does turn on.

2. When it's on and I plug in an external HD (or memory stick) it reads the HD as having no space (ie. that they are 0kb - which is ridiculous!)

Any ideas what that might mean?

Thanks everyone - really appreciate the suggestions!
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have the original OS installer disks that came with the laptop (grey ones), run the Apple Hardware test - instructions are on one of the discs on how to run this. Point 2 is a little weird...

Definitely reset the PRAM as your next troubleshooting thing.

Also, just out of interest, if you press the little button on the battery (the side that makes the base of the laptop), how many of the green LED's light up?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.04%
No - but I will (91)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (84)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.43%

Watched Threads