The Student Room Group

Faced with a difficult decision...Help!

Hi,

I am a current LLB student at London Metropolitan, where I studied since February...As it turns out, I just received my results and they are as follows:
Criminal Law 82%
Contract Law 70%
English Legal System 71%

Not so long ago I had my mind made up on quiting london met and studying for a legal method certificate at Birkbeck, which is accepted by the likes of UCL and Oxford, in order to enter a higher regarded university...

I got accepted by Birkbeck, however, after getting my uni results, my heart is braking at the thought of leaving after committing so much hard work throughout the year and managing to get such great results (i have been out of education since the age of 16, and am currently 22)

Leaving London Met would mean wasting another half year and entering university at the age of 23, however, I have a high chance of getting accepted by a better uni...However, if I stay at london met, I will graduate a year earlier...but what would be my prospects, even if with a 1st???

What would you do???Any encouraging words would help...Bring me back to reality!!!:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am an American who has yet to see the English law scene, but from my experience in the U.S. you should finish London Met and get the 1st. A 1st is a 1st. Get that 1st and then go on for an LLM somewhere more reknown. You will save a year, save money, and people will look at the LLM earned at UCL or Oxford more than the LLB awarding university. It only seems logical to me that if you can pull off an LLM from Oxford, your past before that is irrelevant.

Also, university like Oxford and UCL take into account the grade you acheived at your previous university right? So, wouldn't it be better to get a 1st from London Met than a 2:1 from Birkbeck?
Hate to say it but I disagree.....

First of all well done on the amazing results - you must be so proud, to get those grades in law is phenomenal!

However, sadly a lot of firms will bin applications from students from unis considered not 'reputable'. If these grades could help you get into a 'better' uni, which I'm sure they could, and you could manage a 2.1 there (a 1st isn't necessary, though obviously nice!) you'd have no problems getting in anywhere I should think!

Hope this helps and good luck.
In the UK law firms generally don't care about LLMs - in the USA law is a postgraduate discipline so with all due respect the system is completely different and your advice is wrong. An LLM cannot be seen as 'upgrading' a worse uni at undergraduate level - they most certainly will not ignore the LLB awarding institution just because you have an LLM. I would suggest that with a first from London Met you could get a decent job, but it is most definitely safer to do the access qualification and then go to UCL, in my opinion. The other factor is that with a degree from a less reputable undergraduate school how do you know you would definitely get on to the postgraduate qualification at a top university? They have told you that with the access qualification you will be eligible for selection, so my advice is to take that, although if ultimately money/age are a factor then you might find yourself forced to take one route or the other.

In fact, you've asked this a few times now and received the same answers from me and a few others a few times, which indicates to me that in truth you want to stay at London Met, because you continue to ask for advice.
Reply 4
Lewisy-boy
In the UK law firms generally don't care about LLMs - in the USA law is a postgraduate discipline so with all due respect the system is completely different and your advice is wrong. An LLM cannot be seen as 'upgrading' a worse uni at undergraduate level - they most certainly will not ignore the LLB awarding institution just because you have an LLM. I would suggest that with a first from London Met you could get a decent job, but it is most definitely safer to do the access qualification and then go to UCL, in my opinion. The other factor is that with a degree from a less reputable undergraduate school how do you know you would definitely get on to the postgraduate qualification at a top university? They have told you that with the access qualification you will be eligible for selection, so my advice is to take that, although if ultimately money/age are a factor then you might find yourself forced to take one route or the other.

In fact, you've asked this a few times now and received the same answers from me and a few others a few times, which indicates to me that in truth you want to stay at London Met, because you continue to ask for advice.[/QUOTE]

That is not necessarily the case...I received my results yesterday and that's when the doubts came back! I guess there is no right or wrong decision here....
Reply 5
If I were you, and if given the opportunity, I would do an LLM at a top Uni just for personal satisfaction. Employment prospect wise, I don't really know. But your LLM MIGHT just be considered (there is still a possibility isn't it?), and you shall pray that it would.
Reply 6
Will other unis not take you with your current results omitting the need for the legal method certificate?
Reply 7
Purple
Will other unis not take you with your current results omitting the need for the legal method certificate?

I spoke to City University and they said these results are irrelevant, they will only be looking at A levels, which is why I would be taking the LM cerificate at Birkbeck...:frown: :confused:
Reply 8
I haven't got any advice, but those are a great set of results. Well done. :smile:
Reply 9
brown
I haven't got any advice, but those are a great set of results. Well done. :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Have you tried approaching any of the other UoL colleges directly? UCL or KCL may well leap at the chance to take a relatively mature student (less likely to muck about and drop out) who has demonstrated not only a commitment to the law, but also the ability to excel.
Reply 11
Edmund Blackadder
Have you tried approaching any of the other UoL colleges directly? UCL or KCL may well leap at the chance to take a relatively mature student (less likely to muck about and drop out) who has demonstrated not only a commitment to the law, but also the ability to excel.

I think it is fairly too late for that as it is July ans KCL and UCL wont even have places for law...

I could try Birkbeck for LLB Law which I believe they would accept me on, however, I do not want to study there for the next four years...
It might be worth just asking - all universities over-offer anyway, to take account of those who will miss out on the A Level grades, so it's not as if they're not flexible.

Good luck whatever you do.
Reply 13
Edmund Blackadder
It might be worth just asking - all universities over-offer anyway, to take account of those who will miss out on the A Level grades, so it's not as if they're not flexible.

Good luck whatever you do.

I studied at London Met...To be honest, it is not the best uni in the eyes of UOL and I am fairly sceptic in terms of my chances to study there this year...I guess Birkberk and the Access course remains my one and only way of getting to where I want to be...Thanks
If you're happy starting uni at 22/23 then by all means go for it. The only advice I can really give if to have a very hard think about whether you'll enjoy it (you'll probably notice the age difference to a certain degree) and whether you're happy starting work at around 26-28.

But if you work hard and get involved in decent ECs and the like, then going to London Met won't be the dead end that many people are all too happy to imply. You will certainly have to work that bit harder to impress, but at least you'll stand out! :wink:
Reply 15
Edmund Blackadder
If you're happy starting uni at 22/23 then by all means go for it. The only advice I can really give if to have a very hard think about whether you'll enjoy it (you'll probably notice the age difference to a certain degree) and whether you're happy starting work at around 26-28.

But if you work hard and get involved in decent ECs and the like, then going to London Met won't be the dead end that many people are all too happy to imply. You will certainly have to work that bit harder to impress, but at least you'll stand out! :wink:

Thanks for the encouraging words, I didnt get a lot of those here, specially regarding London Met :smile: I will have to think really hard over the next few weeks, however, I think I have my heart set on another uni...I had an offer from Westminster to study LLB there, and by reading their School of Law information, they do seem to have at least a few bits and pieces to have you noticed, such as the Innocence project and Annual Mooting...The only thing is that I am 22 already and if I end up at Birkbeck Access course, I will start uni at 23...However, it might still not be the end of the world, there are a lot of people like me, starting their undergrad quite late...Its comfusing, that's for sure!:smile:
I think I might come across as a bit more optimistic as regards ex-polys because
a) I went to one,
b) I got a major scholarship to do the BVC and
c) quite a few people at my particular insitution have gone on to secure very good training contracts and a couple secured pupillage (not bad, especially considering te relatively small number of students who go on to the BVC).

Quite a few of my friends are planning on starting uni at around the 23/24 year old mark, so it's definitely not unheard of. Also, you may find that, ironically, it works in your favour as a 26/27 year old will be that bit more mature than a 22 year old, but without the likely 'baggage' that someone in their lates 30s and beyond might bring.

Anyway, keep us updated and best of luck.
Reply 17
Edmund Blackadder
I think I might come across as a bit more optimistic as regards ex-polys because
a) I went to one,
b) I got a major scholarship to do the BVC and
c) quite a few people at my particular insitution have gone on to secure very good training contracts and a couple secured pupillage (not bad, especially considering te relatively small number of students who go on to the BVC).

Quite a few of my friends are planning on starting uni at around the 23/24 year old mark, so it's definitely not unheard of. Also, you may find that, ironically, it works in your favour as a 26/27 year old will be that bit more mature than a 22 year old, but without the likely 'baggage' that someone in their lates 30s and beyond might bring.

Anyway, keep us updated and best of luck.

I might be wrong here, but didn't you go to Westminster?I think I read one of your posts before, and that was a very positive and encouraging one too
I actually went to UWE (West of England--Westminster, perhaps?), then wandered over to Bristol to do a Masters (flirted with a few other career possibilities) before settling back on the bar.

Not wanting to sound like an advert, but it's got pretty good links with local firms, has the best teaching record out of the ex-polys and has a very active mooting and debating network, so all things considered I didn't do too badly!

Are you definitely set on staying in London or have you thought about some other places around the UK?
Reply 19
Edmund Blackadder
I actually went to UWE (West of England--Westminster, perhaps?), then wandered over to Bristol to do a Masters (flirted with a few other career possibilities) before settling back on the bar.

Not wanting to sound like an advert, but it's got pretty good links with local firms, has the best teaching record out of the ex-polys and has a very active mooting and debating network, so all things considered I didn't do too badly!

Are you definitely set on staying in London or have you thought about some other places around the UK?

I have my heart set on London...Have been living here for 6 years, have a steady job and live here with my partner...Dont think moving would be an option...I know there are some great unis away from London, however, I think I will have to settle down for those in London...:confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending