Is it difficult for International Students? Watch

DXGSP
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi guys..

I'm an international student. can someone tell me if it is difficult to get a part time job for international students? Just assume that English is not a problem and the visa does allow working up to 20 hours per week. What is your general view?

:tsr2:
cabso1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah I want to know this too.
M.A.H
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
From my exp it seems international students tend to get the jobs more easily then home ones..(or could be i suck at interviews lol)
DXGSP
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Any more opinions???? Guys common..
zooeyj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Half the people who work at my Uni shops with me are international students! One guy I know has worked everywhere from cleaning, burger king, shops, offices since he's been in England!
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you've got all your stuff in order e.g. work permit (20hrs during term time for most international students), NI number, bank account, you should be fine. It'd be like anyone else applying for a job. I think the reason why some international students get the jobs is because a) english skills - international students are forced to have at least a B in English before the uni takes them in, so they don't go 'like yeh, i'm soo excited' etc, they're more formal which is a plus for any interview, b) they're more hard working because they need the money, they appreciate the value of the money and the employers will know this from their attitude.

anyways, yup it's been pretty ok for me getting jobs...i joined agencies like everyone else and passed interviews. i know some other international students who don't have any luck but i think it comes down to how they perform in the interviews and their personalities really, like they weren't serious enough/trying hard enough etc. There isn't much of a difference between internationals and home students/citizens getting jobs. obviously if you travel home during the holidays etc it might be a problem for the employer, but if you mention it and show them you're really interested, they might just take you on and give you the holiday time.some will be fine with it, but some won't.

Hope that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads