International Student Worried About Grades Watch

imawoikiro
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Unfortunatley, my long post's been moved to somewhere else. I hope this one's short enough that it won't cause any trouble.

I'm an international student living in the U.S. and I was wondering how important GPA is. I'm preparing as hard as I can for PPE but I'm not sure whether I'll even get an interview offer or not. My AP grades and SAT scores (which I'm retaking) are good but I'm worried about my GPA. It's above 3.0 but not stellar.

Any comment/advice will be appreciated.
jbruner17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My interviewer didn't know what GPA was and there's no place to put it on the application form. Relax.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imawoikiro)
Unfortunatley, my long post's been moved to somewhere else. I hope this one's short enough that it won't cause any trouble.
I didn't move it myself, but chances are that your thread was either moved because it was better suited for another forum or deleted because it was a duplicate of a thread you had created elsewhere. Anyway, if you want to find your own posts again, all you have to do is click on your username and select 'find all posts'.
imawoikiro
(Original post by jbruner17)
My interviewer didn't know what GPA was and there's no place to put it on the application form. Relax.
You mean on the UCAS app? I'm pretty sure you're supposed to put in your high school grades. But I'm really surprised the interviewer didn't know what GPA was.
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I'm an international student living in the U.S. and I was wondering how important GPA is. I'm preparing as hard as I can for PPE but I'm not sure whether I'll even get an interview offer or not. My AP grades and SAT scores (which I'm retaking) are good but I'm worried about my GPA. It's above 3.0 but not stellar.

Any comment/advice will be appreciated.
Oxford doesn't care about GPA or Class rank, because truth be told they're bull****.

AP exams are what are important. As for SATs, you just need to make it past their basic requirements, and that is enough. Interviews, APs, personal statements and the subject tests are what are important.
imawoikiro
^That's what I heard. But then someone mentioned that Oxford does look at your GPA, which kind of worried me. It would be stupid to prepare so much for the PPE interview and not even get the interview offer.
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It would be stupid to prepare so much for the PPE interview and not even get the interview offer.
Well, you could just wait till you find out if you get an offer or not, before driving yourself too hard. Incidentally, just what are you doing to "prepare so much for the PPE interview", this long beforehand?

DtS
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^That's what I heard. But then someone mentioned that Oxford does look at your GPA, which kind of worried me. It would be stupid to prepare so much for the PPE interview and not even get the interview offer.
Oxford does not look at your GPA. They never asked for mine, and they have never asked for any US applicant's that I know of.
jbruner17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
GPA/High School grades are NOT an acceptable qualification for UCAS. Basically, they're only interested in nationally-recognized exams, which means AP, SAT, SAT II, or IB, etc, and there's nowhere to put them on your UCAS form, Oxford supplement, or UCAS online application. They do ask for a High School transcript at interview along with all other test score certificates, but I believe that's to verify you're in High School.
imawoikiro
^Are you someone who have applied to UK schools before? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...ghlight=Oxford
The person in this post came to the conclusion of listing all his or her grades. I guess it depends on the school. But since UCAS is sent everywhere simultaneously, what do you think I should do?
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what do you think I should do?
What you should do is contact someone who can give you a definitive answer. People on this forum can give opinions, but that is all. You need to contact the admissions office:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/contact_details.html

They are nice people whose sole aim in life (9-5, at least) is to help people with admissions things.

DtS
imawoikiro
^Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise