The Student Room Group

Law Applicants and Offers Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
You will!

Congratulations on your two offers, great stuff :dance:

thanks! :smile:
My son got an "attainment offer" for Law from Birmingham yesterday. CCC if he firms and AAA if he insures...
Original post by Fluorescent_A
My son got an "attainment offer" for Law from Birmingham yesterday. CCC if he firms and AAA if he insures...

Quite a few people have been getting those offers! I guess they don’t do as many unconditionals anymore
Original post by dyingstudent101
Quite a few people have been getting those offers! I guess they don’t do as many unconditionals anymore

I think they don't do unconditionals at all as they were heavily criticised for it last year.
Although it's early days, some people have started to report Law offers. This is a place for people to share and discuss their offers (or rejections) as they come in :smile:

Early offers have started trickling in from:

Birmingham (AAA if not an attainment offer)
Cardiff AAB
Durham (only via Sutton Trust summer school)
Exeter (AAA/AAB if Firmed & some at BBB)
Kent (AAB/BBB if Firmed)
Leeds (AAA/AAB)
Leicester (ABB if Firmed)
Liverpool (ABB)
Manchester (AAA/AAB)
Newcastle
Northumbria (128 points)
Queen Mary’s (A*AA)
Reading (ABB if Firmed)
Royal Holloway (ABB)
Sussex
Swansea (AAB - BBB)
Warwick (AAA)
York interview

So far I've got 3 offers :smile: 2 of them are for Law and Politics, from Cardiff and Liverpool. My third offer was from Leeds for Law with International Legal Studies. I'm now waiting for my other two choices that are both LNAT unis- Oxford (Law) and Kings College London (Politics, Philosophy and Law). Tbf i think ill hear from Kings in January which is really scary, because Kings is my top choice.
Original post by Aye5ha
So far I've got 3 offers :smile: 2 of them are for Law and Politics, from Cardiff and Liverpool. My third offer was from Leeds for Law with International Legal Studies. I'm now waiting for my other two choices that are both LNAT unis- Oxford (Law) and Kings College London (Politics, Philosophy and Law). Tbf i think ill hear from Kings in January which is really scary, because Kings is my top choice.

Lol, how did you balance your personal statement with 4 different subjects and 47 lines. I guess law centred with decent politics section and a smaller philosophy.
Original post by my_man_123
Lol, how did you balance your personal statement with 4 different subjects and 47 lines. I guess law centred with decent politics section and a smaller philosophy.

I mainly focused on Law (because all the degrees I've applied for are LLB), but mentioned it on a national and global scale (in my intro). I also do politics A-level, so i linked that with Law, and how they overlap. For Philosophy, i did the same because i do A-Level Religious Studies. I somehow didn't think this would have been an issue when i was writing my personal statement, but when i linked my A-level subjects with Law it turned out fine
Original post by Aye5ha

You applied to a good spread of Unis. Cross fingers for Kings and Oxford 🤞
People may be interested to know that Newcastle are giving unconditional Law offers to some candidates with very high predicted grades, despite Nottingham and Birmingham stopping their unconditional offers scheme. They say:

"A small number of unconditional offers will be made in the 2020 Admissions cycle to selected, high achieving students who apply to Newcastle University.

We make unconditional offers to applicants who can demonstrate excellent academic achievement. The criteria for receiving an unconditional offer may vary depending on the course you have applied to but will always require high academic ability alongside an outstanding personal statement and teacher reference.

Applicants with Scottish Highers, who have already achieved our entrance requirements but are applying based on their predicted grades for Advanced Highers, may receive an unconditional offer based on the results they have already obtained".
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Fluorescent_A

Birmingham used to come under a lot of criticism for giving out lots of unconditional offers to applicants predicted AAA. They have ameded it this year to the "attainment" offer scheme but the same basic criticism of the scheme applies - students should not feel pressurised to accept these offers just because they are so appealing, unless Birmingham is where he would have wanted to go anyway
Birmingham used to come under a lot of criticism for giving out lots of unconditional offers to applicants predicted AAA. They have ameded it this year to the "attainment" offer scheme but the same basic criticism of the scheme applies - students should not feel pressurised to accept these offers just because they are so appealing, unless Birmingham is where he would have wanted to go anyway

I absolutely agree with you.
People may be interested to know that Newcastle are giving unconditional Law offers to some candidates with very high predicted grades, despite Nottingham and Birmingham stopping their unconditional offers scheme. They say:

"A small number of unconditional offers will be made in the 2020 Admissions cycle to selected, high achieving students who apply to Newcastle University.

We make unconditional offers to applicants who can demonstrate excellent academic achievement. The criteria for receiving an unconditional offer may vary depending on the course you have applied to but will always require high academic ability alongside an outstanding personal statement and teacher reference.

Applicants with Scottish Highers, who have already achieved our entrance requirements but are applying based on their predicted grades for Advanced Highers, may receive an unconditional offer based on the results they have already obtained".

so..wheres my unconditional hun??
Original post by cheerIeader
so..wheres my unconditional hun??

Oh hun, you mustn't be too disappointed. You got your offer ....they want you hun just not that much, which must be so unusual. Chin up, you got your first offer and tbh hun, an unconditional might have made you just the tiniest bit bigheaded and we wouldn't want that x

I'm very curious who are going to be those people receiving unconditionals from Newcastle. I just got an offer for ABB from them. Having my predicted grades at 2x A* and 2x A. With the fact that I also classify for contextual.
Original post by Wielkio
I'm very curious who are going to be those people receiving unconditionals from Newcastle. I just got an offer for ABB from them. Having my predicted grades at 2x A* and 2x A. With the fact that I also classify for contextual.

Wow, amazed you didn't get one - maybe it's worth phoning their Admissions and asking them? Someone on the Oxford Law Applicants forum has been given one, but don't know what their predicted grades are. Birmingham always used to give them to AAA candidates though
Oh hun, you mustn't be too disappointed. You got your offer ....they want you hun just not that much, which must be so unusual. Chin up, you got your first offer and tbh hun, an unconditional might have made you just the tiniest bit bigheaded and we wouldn't want that x

Ok hun can you respond to my PMs now because I'm on the verge of crying my eyes out. (
Ok hun can you respond to my PMs now because I'm on the verge of crying my eyes out. (

I sent it 22 minutes ago? Check your inbox hun, I'll resend if it didn't arrive for some reason
I sent it 22 minutes ago? Check your inbox hun, I'll resend if it didn't arrive for some reason

Ok just got it hun thanks for your love and support :'(

Idk what I'd do without u and I've #forgiven you for yesterdays antics
Ok just got it hun thanks for your love and support :'(

Idk what I'd do without u and I've #forgiven you for yesterdays antics

To sin is human to forgive is divine
Original post by Ajbwvwiah
I would imagine those places are very limited so aimed towards people with 3/4 A* (I don't think they make distinctions based on a forth subject) or just people whose statements are deemed exceptional. Whatever it may be don't take it personally, especially when someone with ur target grades could easily achieve ABB so it shouldn't make much difference.

I think that it's obvious there are smarter people than me, and those who deserve it more than me. However, I'm not gonna lie, I hoped to get unconditional and then set it as my insurance. I'm not saying that I'm exceptionally smart, as I'm not, but I also think that achieving 2A*/2A, is not the easiest thing, especially, looking at the fact that I have came to the UK a year ago, and hence I think my personal statement is quite strong, in addition to that I somehow (went to the law competition, being in England for 3 months not speaking English very well, and have been seen by lawyers, who offered me 2 work experience placements) got really good work experience.

Wow, amazed you didn't get one - maybe it's worth phoning their Admissions and asking them? Someone on the Oxford Law Applicants forum has been given one, but don't know what their predicted grades are. Birmingham always used to give them to AAA candidates though

Do you think is it possible to 'negotiate offers' with universities? By that I mean, can you ask them to change your offer/Is it not unprofessional?etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending