Heather does her GCSES! (An ongoing thread) Watch

heatherrose145
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello! Welcome to my GYG!

My name is Heather Rose and I’m currently going through the somewhat traumatic experience of Year 11! I’d like to use this thread as a place to store memories, track my progress and make new friends! This will sort of be like a diary I suppose, I’ll try my best to update as often as I can, if anyone cares that is.

My Year 10 exam results (my school is obsessed with doing exams early, so I did 9 exams in year 10, fun I know!!)
- History: Germany in Transition- A*
- Maths Numeracy- A
- English Lit- A
- Biology- A
- Chemistry- B
- Physics- A
- Welsh Speaking- A

My hobbies/interests are:
- Politics (I think this is what I’d like to do my degree in)
- The 1975
- 5 Seconds of Summer
- Learning the ukulele
- The Great British Bake Off
- RuPauls Drag Race

I’d really like to make some friends and just have something nice to look back on this weird and wonderful experience!

Heather

Tags:
Hazzabear
Last edited by heatherrose145; 4 weeks ago
Hazzabear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by heatherrose145)
Hello! Welcome to my GYG!

My name is Heather Rose and I’m currently going through the somewhat traumatic experience of Year 11! I’d like to use this thread as a place to store memories, track my progress and make new friends! This will sort of be like a diary I suppose, I’ll try my best to update as often as I can, if anyone cares that is.

My Year 10 exam results (my school is obsessed with doing exams early, so I did 9 exams in year 10, fun I know!!)
- History: Germany in Transition- A*
- Maths Numeracy- A
- English Lit- A
- Biology- A
- Chemistry- B
- Physics- A
- Welsh Speaking- A

My hobbies/interests are:
- Politics (I think this is what I’d like to do my degree in)
- The 1975
- 5 Seconds of Summer
- Learning the ukulele
- The Great British Bake Off
- RuPauls Drag Race

I’d really like to make some friends and just have something nice to look back on this weird and wonderful experience!

Heather
Hi heather!

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your gyg and in your academic year. Do you take classes for ukulele?

If you’re doing tags I would be interested in following your gyg
RoadtoSuccess
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wish you all the best!
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Hi heather!

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your gyg and in your academic year. Do you take classes for ukulele?

If you’re doing tags I would be interested in following your gyg
Hi! Thank you so much!

I think I’ve tagged you (honestly I’m rather new here so I’m not entirely sure how this works!!)

No I don’t take classes, I’m attempting to teach myself but I only know a few chords at the moment
username4997956
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, Heather! Give you all the best luck in your gcses, I’m currently in year 12 so the experience is fresh in my mind. Just remember not to stress too much because now I’m here I realised gcses don’t really matter, they are good and it’s good to succeed but enjoy your time in year 11 too, it’s a mad (but exciting) time.

Oohh, also I loveeeeee the 1975 aswell, whats your favourite song by them, oohh and favourite album?
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by abimayw)
Hey, Heather! Give you all the best luck in your gcses, I’m currently in year 12 so the experience is fresh in my mind. Just remember not to stress too much because now I’m here I realised gcses don’t really matter, they are good and it’s good to succeed but enjoy your time in year 11 too, it’s a mad (but exciting) time.

Oohh, also I loveeeeee the 1975 aswell, whats your favourite song by them, oohh and favourite album?
Thank you!! I’ll try to keep that in mind haha

The 1975 are the bestttttt omg, my favourite album would have to be iliwys and my top 3 songs I think are undo, liiwmi and either ballad or Paris! How about you?
Bea.McHealy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by heatherrose145)
Thank you!! I’ll try to keep that in mind haha

The 1975 are the bestttttt omg, my favourite album would have to be iliwys and my top 3 songs I think are undo, liiwmi and either ballad or Paris! How about you?
Hello, that was me on my friends account, haha didn’t realise they’d logged into my account. Anyway, I think I’d have to say a brief inquiry of iliwys, they both are masterpieces and bring something different, I can’t bring myself to choose. A brief inquiry for sure changed my perception on music as a whole and opened me to people like Brian Eno and Talking Heads, but my that stretch on I like when you sleep from if I believe you to loving someone is sublime. Anyway, getting side tracked, I’d say if I believe you, I couldn’t be more in love and Menswear are my top three, but god it’s difficult. Are you seeing them on tour next year?
Last edited by Bea.McHealy; 4 weeks ago
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bea.McHealy)
Hello, that was me on my friends account, haha didn’t realise they’d logged into my account. Anyway, I think I’d have to say a brief inquiry of iliwys, they both are masterpieces and bring something different, I can’t bring myself to choose. A brief inquiry for sure changed my perception on music as a whole and opened me to people like Brian Eno and Talking Heads, but my that stretch on I like when you sleep from if I believe you to loving someone is sublime. Anyway, getting side tracked, I’d say if I believe you, I couldn’t be more in love and Menswear are my top three, but god it’s difficult. Are you seeing them on tour next year?
Yes I am!! In Cardiff ahhh I’m so so excited!
I loved brief inquiry too, it really widened my musical taste and opened me up to so many different genres etc
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
Spoiler:
Show

17/10/19
Friday tomorrow, whoooo!

Chemistry
- We did a quick recap on bonding (which I still don't 100% get tbh)
- Also started nano technology, watched a video and went through the examples we need (it reminds me of big hero 6, such a great film)

History
- Just continuing coursework (Civil Rights America, if anyone did WJEC History last year, any help would be much appreciated)
- I managed to finish 1 source out of the 4 needed
- I'm planning to stay after school Monday and possibly Thursday to finish as the first draft deadline is Friday, eek!!

Maths
- Circle theorem recap, and general exam prep (24 days until paper 1!)
- Also did some PPQs on congruency, standard form and circle theorems

Welsh
- Honestly not a lot, this lesson was pretty chaotic, including some welsh songs with some weird dancing
- (Although welsh is generally chaotic 24/7)

After School Revision
French: 25 minutes
- I did ten translations out of the twenty my teacher set, this was loads of different tenses and to be fair I only had to look up a few verbs (quite proud tbh)
-I need to get myself together with French, I barely made any revision resources in yr 10 and I barely revise content because I just find it quite overwhelming to revise all the content and all the tenses etc etc

Chemistry: 30 mins (ish)
- A bonding summary sheet
- I've been finding this topic quite hard, and we've got a test next Friday if anyone could send some revision resources/tips that would be fab!
- Chemistry is 100% not my strong point so I definitely need to crack on with some revision

Maths: About 1hr
- I did a B-A* Corbett Maths 5-a-day sheet, as well as a Maths Genie surds worksheet (I used to HATE surds so much but i actually somewhat understand them now!)
- Less than a month until my exams ahhhh honestly i'm kind of worried

So overall, a pretty productive day, chilling out now in prep for Drag Race episode 3 (anyone else watching?)

To-Do
- Revise Chemistry and Biology in prep for two tests next week
- Welsh description homework
- RS flashcards

Also, my first actual post on this thread so that's fun
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:woo:
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there - please tag me!
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Hi there - please tag me!
Hi! Will do (let me know if it works when I post later)
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
18/10/19
Decided to just do a revision summary today, because yesterday my post was SO long

After School Revision

Welsh: 30 mins
- I just did my description, which was set for homework a few days ago
- This was a piece of writing about a famous Welsh person, so I chose Ruth Jones (Nessa from Gavin and Stacey, such a great show!!)
- I did about a page, and i tried to include multiple tenses

Maths: 45 mins
- I did another Corbett Maths 5-a-day sheet (only got 2/5 today )
- I'm hoping to do one of these everyday until my exams
- I then did some PPQs on algebraic fractions and direct/inverse proportion from this huge booklet our teacher gave us
- It's been so good for helping me understand some of the topics i struggled with, such as surds

Biology: 30 mins
- Just finished off a quizlet on Cell Division, DNA, Inheritance and Stem Cells
- I'll use this and my summary sheet to revise this weekend for the test next friday

Weekend To-Do
- Revise biology
- Create a revision sheet and a quizlet, then revise for chemistry
- Another 20 French translations
- Lots of maths PPQs
- Start to learn the key French verbs in 5 tenses

Honestly i'm so glad it's the weekend, despite having a 3 day week (Off ill monday and tuesday ) I'm still so tired as per usual! Year 11 definitely wears you out
I hope everyone has a great weekend
Planning to have a productive weekend, lots of maths and science with maybe some RS or History thrown in depending on how I feel!

Tagged (if you'd like to be tagged, just ask!)

Spoiler:
Show
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Doing more revision than me
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
More productive than my last 7 years at school 😂
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
Doing more revision than me
Aww, i’m actually bricking it for my maths exams
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
More productive than my last 7 years at school 😂
Lmaooo I needed to get my act together a few weeks ago, but I’ve got loads of mock type things and both my maths exams in a few weeks (how many times will heather mention “maths exam” in one night)
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
19/10/19

Today's revision begins with...

French: 1 hour
- Another set of 20 translations! I think once I've finished all 100 (yes my teacher has set us 100 translations, i'm not loving life) I'm going to make a quizlet of all the words I had to use word reference for
- We've also been set 10 verbs to learn in 5 different tenses, so i started my revision of the first two (avoir and être, luckily I know these two pretty well already) by making.... another quizlet wow how predictable

Biology: 40 minutes
- I did the learn and test sections on my quizlet and used my summary sheets to revise the Cell Division, DNA and Inheritance topic
- I also used Seneca (this helped me so much with science last year)

After a break for lunch, I did about 20 more minutes of biology revision on Seneca

Chemistry: (Attempted to do) 1 hour
- I started to make a revision sheet and honestly nothing seemed to go in, I had lost motivation at this point so I decided to stop chemistry for today

Maths: 30 mins (ish) At this point I was tired and pretty unmotivated so I didn't do a lot of maths today
- Another Corbett Maths 5-a-day (4/5 today whoo hoo!)
- A few past paper questions from the big booklet

Total Revision Time
Around 3 and a half hours
This is slightly less than I usually do on a weekend but towards the end of the day I just felt so unmotivated and really tired Hopefully Sunday is better!

Sunday To-Do
- Attempt to revise chemistry again
- A lot more maths questions
- Possibly another few French verbs

I would usually have more things to do but because of how I felt today I think I'll keep it realistic for tomorrow

Tagged

Spoiler:
Show
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is okay to rest :hugs:
heatherrose145
Rep:
?
(Original post by Obolinda)
It is okay to rest :hugs:
That’s a reminder I really need sometimes, i do tend to push myself too hard sometimes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (149)
70.95%
No I haven't decided yet (38)
18.1%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
10.95%

Watched Threads