Alexia.alec
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey
Well i took my S1 exam today and i feel so devastated that i did a lot of silly mistakes
I am wondering if there are anything called method marking ....
But during the AS exams i calculated that i would get something like 90 percent in maths as i knew where i made a mistake
I did not take method markings into account
But when the results appeared i got 90 percent
Does it mean method marking is just a myth?
As if my paper was mark on the basis of method marking i would have gotten somewhere between 95-97%
jiaminglimjm
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Method marks are indeed taken into account. In fact, they are required for you to earn accuracy marks. Read any recent marking scheme by CAIE for a full description on how marks are awarded. For mathematics, marks are of the following three types:

M Method mark, awarded for a valid method applied to the problem. Method marks are not lost for numerical errors, algebraic slips or errors in units. However, it is not usually sufficient for a candidate just to indicate an intention of using some method or just to quote a formula; the formula or idea must be applied to the specific problem in hand, e.g. by substituting the relevant quantities into the formula. Correct
application of a formula without the formula being quoted obviously earns the M mark and in some cases an M mark can be implied from a correct answer.

A Accuracy mark, awarded for a correct answer or intermediate step correctly obtained. Accuracy marks cannot be given unless the associated method mark is earned (or implied).

B Mark for a correct result or statement independent of method marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.05%
I don't have everything I need (192)
42.95%

Watched Threads