The Student Room Group

coloured hair a problem for university?

im planning on changing my hai colour to bright purple and pink (my hair is naturally black)
however im afraid this might give a negative impression for universities, especially for my interviews.
im wondering if they might see me as irresponsible or a rebel just because i have coloured hair
would that be the case??

Scroll to see replies

I have pink hair, I’m at uni (first year) hasn’t been an issue
Reply 2
Original post by Paypurr
I have pink hair, I’m at uni (first year) hasn’t been an issue

did it affect your interview in any way?
Reply 3
I want to colour my hair however I would worry it may affect how others perceive me in interviews as there are some people who do criticise it negatively. It depends on the interviewer honestly, however if they are good at their job they will only judge you in your work ethic and passion and this is most likely to be the case so don’t worry about it. Just talk intelligently and you’ll be fine.
Original post by crooler
did it affect your interview in any way?

I didn’t have any interviews with coloured hair, I dyed it after but really don’t worry it won’t affect your interview at all. I see people with all sorts of hair colours at uni
Well speaking from an employers perspective; I would recommend you do not dye your hair as this gives off an impression that you care more about your appearance than you do work. This will make you unemployed for a very long time.

And OMG why would you use dye anyways? why pollute the world when its already dying its so bad for the environment and your just spoiling the natural beauty of your hair.
Reply 6
It depends what course you are going for.
For Medicine, I would strongly suggest you only dyed your hair after interviews.
A lot of my interviewers were older, and I would assume more conservative. And, due to the nature of the profession, you have to be as neutral as possible!
However, if you are going for something like Art, I'm not sure it would matter!
(edited 4 years ago)
I met a girl the other day lecturing alongside her PhD, she has bright yellow hair.

People aren't that fussed.
Anyone who spends time working at a university won’t look twice at an applicant with brightly coloured hair.
Original post by MidgetFever
I met a girl the other day lecturing alongside her PhD, she has bright yellow hair.

Clearly she has not been to a PROFESSIONAL interview then
Original post by ConradCosta
Clearly she has not been to a PROFESSIONAL interview then

"Professional"? She lectures for the university. :rolleyes:
"Professional"? She lectures for the university. :rolleyes:

And if this was a REAL job interview with a REAL expert in employment, they will not want some bright pink hair girl in the business, Sadly for you today society does not embrace your "creativity" as you just show you dont care for protocol and rules.
Were I interviewing a candidate of notably eccentric appearance for a traditional subject, I'd assume that they either lacked the perspective to realise that prioritising aesthetic self-expression over social mores might prejudice their application, hadn't the introspection to recognise that they could be perceived as such, or else simply didn't care one way or the other—which would imply both apathy and arrogance.

Were I interviewing a candidate of conventional appearance for said subject, the above train of thought wouldn't even enter my mind.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
Were I interviewing a candidate of notably eccentric appearance for a traditional subject, I'd assume that they either lacked the perspective to realise that prioritising aesthetic self-expression over social mores could prejudice their application, hadn't the introspection to recognise that their appearance might be perceived as such, or else simply didn't care one way or the other, which would imply both apathy and arrogance.

Were I interviewing a candidate of conventional appearance for said subject, the above train of thought wouldn't even enter my mind.

But social norms and values do NOT accept nor welcome an individual who is prioritizing said self-expression and so will face bias and prejudice judgement. Look when she applies to the job do you think a normal bureaucratic organisation with a traditional hierarchy will tolerate deviation from the norms and values of societies expectation? nonconformity will not be accepted and so she will either be asked to leave the interview or attend one without receiving feedback or response due to the outcast approach of their aesthetic.
University is the time when you’re supposed to experiment. Wait until after the interviews if you’re worried.
But social norms and values do NOT accept nor welcome an individual who is prioritizing said self-expression and so will face bias and prejudice judgement. Look when she applies to the job do you think a normal bureaucratic organisation with a traditional hierarchy will tolerate deviation from the norms and values of societies expectation? nonconformity will not be accepted and so she will either be asked to leave the interview or attend one without receiving feedback or response due to the outcast approach of their aesthetic.

Oh calm down. You seem a bit too passionate about this rather trivial subject. Perspective.
Original post by crooler
im planning on changing my hai colour to bright purple and pink (my hair is naturally black)
however im afraid this might give a negative impression for universities, especially for my interviews.
im wondering if they might see me as irresponsible or a rebel just because i have coloured hair
would that be the case??

She seems to be doing OK with dyed hair https://www.arch.cam.ac.uk/directory/lj102
i have purple hair
Reply 18
Calm down luv. It is clearly someones time of the month

aye; yours
Reply 19

Yeah, entirely normal in HE

Quick Reply

Latest