This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
B1527 – Multiple Detentions Bill 2019, Glaz MP

Multiple Detentions Bill 2019

An Act implementing a ban on teachers giving multiple detentions to school students.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Offence of giving students multiple detentions simultaneously.
(1) It is an offence for a schoolteacher to give a student more than one detention at the same time.
(2) For the purposes of this Bill:—
(2) a. "detention" means any disciplinary action taken against a student holding them during recess or after school hours,
(2) b. "simultaneously" means given for the same offence,
(2)

2: Enforcement and Punishment
(1) The reporting of violations of this Act should be undertaken by students informing the principal.
(2) Violation of this Act should be punishable by a suspension of ability to teach not exceeding one half term.

3: Exemption
(1) Students having repeated the same offence more than twice shall be exempt from this Bill.

4: Extent
This Bill extends to the United Kingdom.

5: Commencement
The provisions of this Bill come into force immediately.

6: Short Title
This Bill may be cited as the Multiple Detentions Bill 2019.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well, first of all why even give multiple detentions, when you can just give like a weeks detention (unless that is what you're trying to stop, then it's a really big Nay from me) Second of all, why is this in need of legislating?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am sure that there are some teachers, perhaps not many, who do this. I am not sure though that this legislation is the best way to bring about reform of unreasonable or unfair treatment towards school pupils/students. I would be more concerned with some of the school clothing requirements at some schools and some of the school rules I have read about.

A second reading should the author wish to put one forward should define a single detention, perhaps time based.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, it’s not the place of the state to dictate a school’s behavioural policies to them.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure about this, I definitely did things at secondary school which warranted several days and upto a week or more worth of detentions.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Not sure about this, I definitely did things at secondary school which warranted several days and upto a week or more worth of detentions.
I don't mean really for serious stuff (maybe I should've made that clear), I mean for stuff like homework for example. If a student's missed two pieces of homework due on the same day for the same lesson, it's out of order to give them two separate detentions. The teacher's made their point, what's there to be gained in keeping them back for a second one - especially given that it's not for two separate subjects or due on two separate days.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm tempted to automatically 'no' this for calling the headteacher the 'principal'.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
:ditto:

Also no for draconian withdrawal of freedom from teachers. Each school has their own policies for behaviour, these are different because the social context in which the school is placed provides different challenges. It is not the position of the state to enforce what is a school-level policy decisions. No.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm tempted to automatically 'no' this for calling the headteacher the 'principal'.
What's wrong with principal

(Original post by 04MR17)
Also no for draconian withdrawal of freedom from teachers. Each school has their own policies for behaviour, these are different because the social context in which the school is placed provides different challenges. It is not the position of the state to enforce what is a school-level policy decisions. No.
For an example, respond to reply #6
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nay. There will be things that merit more than one detention to atone for the offence.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
I don't mean really for serious stuff (maybe I should've made that clear), I mean for stuff like homework for example. If a student's missed two pieces of homework due on the same day for the same lesson, it's out of order to give them two separate detentions. The teacher's made their point, what's there to be gained in keeping them back for a second one - especially given that it's not for two separate subjects or due on two separate days.
That's a teacher's choice to make, not parliament's.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's quite ridiculous that this very small and specific thing is being debated in parliament.

If you insist, this should just be some guideline from the Department for Education.

I would also like to point out that it's not fun for teachers to give out detentions. It's actually extra work both for the teacher and for the management. If a teacher gives out multiple punishments for the same offence, I'd say most likely there's a reason for it.
Last edited by Baron of Sealand; 1 month ago
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a ridiculous thing to legislate
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not a matter for HM Parliament (and I say this as someone who would benefit).

Andrew97, please explain how this is a serious bill but SoggyCabbages' Reeeeee Bill isn't?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. Sometimes you need to give out multiple detentions. I know people who were put in ‘detention’ for every lunch for the whole year and that was about keeping them safe. As such no.
Glaz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)

Andrew97, please explain how this is a serious bill but SoggyCabbages' Reeeeee Bill isn't?
Because it's called a Reeeeee bill ffs :rofl:
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nay - it's not a common problem that I'm aware of, and I think it's too small an issue for a bill of it's own. Perhaps as part of a wider bill addressing issues I would be less averse, but I do feel that it's an issue for the school/schools themselves.

The fact the bill was called Reeeeee should answer that, quite frankly.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So what exactly is the point of this bill?

On top of that we have a bizarre format where definitions are mid bill, including a definition for a word that isn't even used
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

I refer you to my answer in the MONC thread where I have addressed this issue.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ridiculous, teachers have enough pressures as it is
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (216)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
18.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
10.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise