B1524 – Stadia Solar Energy Bill 2019 (Seconding Reading). Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Stadia Solar Energy Bill 2019, Second Reading, TSR Government

A Bill to require solar panels on stadia roofs.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Definitions
a. 'Stadium' or 'Stadia' shall mean place where sporting events take place for which an admission fee is charged. This includes but is not limited to Association Football, Rugby Union, Rugby League, Tennis, Cricket and Athletics.
b. 'Solar Energy' shall be solar panels as defined by the Energy Savings Trust.
c. 'Stadium Capacity' shall be that at the time of the passage of this Bill.
d. 'Roof Area' shall be the area of the roofs at the Stadium at the time of the passage of this Bill. For retractable roofs, it shall be the area when fully open.

2. Stadium Solar Energy requirements
a. All Stadia of over 25,000 capacity shall have solar panels fitted and working to at least 25% of their roof area by 1st July 2021.
b. All Stadia of over 10,000 capacity not covered by 2a above shall have solar panels fitted and working to at least 25% of their roof area by 1st July 2022.
c. All Stadia of over 2,000 capacity not covered by 2a or 2b above shall have solar panels fitted and working to at least 25% of their roof area by 1st July 2025.
d. The local Distribution Network Operator shall be required to connect the panels to the National Grid, at the expense borne by the Stadium owner.
e. New stadia not constructed or open at the time of the Royal Assent of the Bill shall be required to meet the requirements above according to capacity.

3. Exemptions
a. The provisions of this Bill shall not apply to any roof which forms part of a Grade 1 Listed Structure.
b. The provisions of this Bill shall not apply to a place used for less than 50 hours per year for sporting events.
c. The provisions of this Bill shall not apply to a stadium with fewer than 1,000 seats, or under 2,000 overall capacity.

4. Penalties
Should a Stadium or Stadia not comply with the provisions of this Bill, the Secretary of State responsible for sport shall have the power to close the Stadium or Stadia, or reduce its capacity, or the times of use, until the provisions of the Bill are met.

5. Extent, Title and Commencement
a. This Bill shall be known as the Stadia Solar Energy Bill 2019.
b. This Bill shall take effect from Royal Assent.
c. This Bill shall apply to the United Kingdom.

Notes
Football and other sports grounds present an opportunity for large scale solar power given their roof space. The costs are small to install compared with the annual income of many clubs, and there may indeed be sponsorship opportunities to defray some fo the costs.

Changes for second reading
Clarification of measurement of roof space for retractable roofs.
Requirement to connect to the National Grid.
Exemption explicitly for stadia with under 2,000 capacity
Requirements for new stadia.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We remain talking about something that doesn't exist (what he stadia?)
It remains incredibly costly for owners while the government also has issues with clubs having financial issues
it remains a measure that does next to nothing other than place further burden on these businesses
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It remains incredibly costly for owners while the government also has issues with clubs having financial issues
it remains a measure that does next to nothing other than place further burden on these businesses
For the majority of those clubs that are within the scope of this Bill, there are five years to comply, and the cost is less than that of one player's salary for that time, or one transfer fee for an average player. For those in the top two divisions, less than a year's salary, or probably one month's for the club just outside Manchester.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Some stadiums clearly do not have the capability to put solar panels on the roof. Manchester United's Old Trafford is a prime example, would it really be sensible for the Government to shut Old Trafford (home to one of the biggest Football Teams in the World) just because it doesn't have solar panels? Pretty sure the mayor, local MPs etc would have something to say about that - would damage the local economy.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Some stadiums clearly do not have the capability to put solar panels on the roof. Manchester United's Old Trafford is a prime example, would it really be sensible for the Government to shut Old Trafford (home to one of the biggest Football Teams in the World) just because it doesn't have solar panels? Pretty sure the mayor, local MPs etc would have something to say about that - would damage the local economy.
Old Trafford could be adapted to have solar panels for about the cost of one month of Paul Pogba's salary I expect. Even though they are not one of the biggest football teams in the north west of England any more.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
Old Trafford could be adapted to have solar panels for about the cost of one month of Paul Pogba's salary I expect. Even though they are not one of the biggest football teams in the north west of England any more.
Manchester United is the third richest Football club in the World, biggest in England in terms of competitions won, history, branding etc.

The structure of the roof is there for a reason with all those poles and stuff, I expect it would be incredibly difficult to install panels there.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Last two posts are entirely speculation, and Man U are crap.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Last two posts are entirely speculation, and Man U are crap.
Look at this roof, you can't seriously tell me you can put something on that?

CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I still don't agree with having a penalty of full or partial closure of the stadium.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at this roof, you can't seriously tell me you can put something on that?

I haven't said anything about the ability to put solar panels on that roof. All I said was you and barnetlad guessing about the cost doesn't achieve anything.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I haven't said anything about the ability to put solar panels on that roof. All I said was you and barnetlad guessing about the cost doesn't achieve anything.
I didn't mention the cost of anything.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't mention the cost of anything.
Suggesting the difficulty of the operation implies greater cost, unless the point was about concern for the physical exertion of construction workers.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Suggesting the difficulty of the operation implies greater cost, unless the point was about concern for the physical exertion of construction workers.
The difficulty was implied by those massive great scaffolding/pole things on the roof.

04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The difficulty was implied by those massive great scaffolding/pole things on the roof.

So?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The cost of about £550k for each ground is based on Energy Savings Trust estimation per square metre. As for Old Trafford, if they are such a big club, sponsorship for the panels would be possible.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Still in support of this.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Hope this helps!

Spoiler:
Show
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Still in support of this.

Hope this helps!

Spoiler:
Show
The English plural is 'stadiums'.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
The English plural is 'stadiums'.
The question, however, was what a 'stadia' was, not what the English plural was
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
The question, however, was what a 'stadia' was, not what the English plural was
We all know the point Jammy was making
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
We all know the point Jammy was making
If you knew the point he was making why did you respond to another point then, are you dense?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (140)
18.74%
Labour (319)
42.7%
Liberal Democrats (152)
20.35%
Green Party (41)
5.49%
Brexit Party (21)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.27%
SNP (9)
1.2%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.8%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)