AS choices Watch

live.laugh.love
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I can't seem to decide what subjects to do at college. I'm thinking of going into nursing so am unsure if i need related subjects or not.

I definitely want to do:
Biology
Psychology

And choose 2 more out of:
Health+Social Care
German
English Lit

Help me pleease
OllyThePhilosopher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You may need another science - check university websites. German and English Lit are more respected and even though you are going into nursing, I'm not sure whether H+S Care will be accepted by the best unis.
juicyfruit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Health and social care would probably be a good option and either of the other two would probably be fine too
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As OllyThePhilosopher said, you may need another science subject if you want to do nursing-so I'd look into that if I were you. Chemistry would be your best bet as one of your remaining subjects, and then either German, English Lit or possibly maths. Health and Social Care is the most related subject, but it's not respected at all and hence won't do you many favours.
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would firstly definatly suggest another science subject.
Then health and social care as it is really good!
But the fourth one should be one you enjoy and will find easier rather than very heavy workload
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
I'm not considering a top uni, whether that would make any difference?
And I've read that for southampton uni I need ABB, not sure if the related subjects are needed...
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/study/u...ursing_BN.html
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...ode=07870&pg=3

Looks like they don't specify certain A Levels, or am I missing something?
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by live.laugh.love)
I'm not considering a top uni, whether that would make any difference?
And I've read that for southampton uni I need ABB, not sure if the related subjects are needed...
What do you mean by top? Nursing is a degree taught mainly by ex-polys/new universities anyway. So it's not as though Oxford, UCL or Durham teach it :p:

Having said that I know of two redbricks who teach it, Leeds and Manchester. There's also Southampton. The majority are the newer unis though.

(Original post by piece_by_piece)
http://www.southampton.ac.uk/study/u...ursing_BN.html
http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergra...ode=07870&pg=3

Looks like they don't specify certain A Levels, or am I missing something?
From what I've seen of nursing programmes very few specify A-levels, only points/grades.

Northumbria, being one of the leading new unversities and a top nursing school, may be an option. They also don't ask for specific subjects, just points (280 I think)

http://northumbria.ac.uk/?view=Cours...10&sbtn=Search

So I'd go with whichever you think you feel most comfortable with. English lit and German and very highy respected and these may be good options if you think you may change your mind (with regard to degree/career area). But if you're certain you want to do nursing and like Health and social care then go with it
John Locke
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
None of these appear to be specified as entry requirements so I'd just do what you think you would enjoy most. The only thing the universities seem to say is they prefer a science and a social science, although only prefer and not require and you have both of these covered already .
MissJethro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have a friend who wants go into nursing and she does Health and Social Care which I think would be a good option to take.
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can't seem to decide what subjects to do at college. I'm thinking of going into nursing so am unsure if i need related subjects or not.

I definitely want to do:
Biology
Psychology

And choose 2 more out of:
Health+Social Care
German
English Lit

Help me pleease

Hey i considered nursing, so i know what you're going through..its a hard choice. Also, don't listen too ANY of the advice on here, load of tosh too be honest with you! Have a scan around the healthcare and nursing forum, we don't bite!

You only need 3 a-levels and many offers range from 240points- BBB with the occasional ABB, but i've personally never heard of an offer like that!!

Ideally you only need one science - biology, you certainly don't need 2 and universities won't look down on you for that! Also, many universities for nursing consider 'psychology' a science anyway.

From speaking too nurses, one of the best combination of subjects you can do (Too a-level, so only 3 choices) is

Biology
Psychology
Sociology

However, Biology and psychology are perfect....back too your 3rd and 4th choice..i'd suggest DO health and social care, you have the opportunity for work experience, plus, again speaking too nurses they've said you're pretty much guarenteed a place at uni with health and social care!! However it's a LOT of work and courswork, be prepared for that!!!

You could do health and social care and german, a language is always helpful and shows you have a greater variety of communication for patients!

To sum up...with biology, you can pretty much choose any other subjects on top of that!!! For example my cousin whos a student nurse did biology, english lit and art!!!
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should definately pick Health & Socialcare. In recent months 4 of my friends have applied for nursing, and I think H & S has definately supported them in this. Alot of the topics covered relate to nursing, and also child development if you were to go into child nursing. Because of this I think out of your three remaining choices it would definately be of most value to you.

Don't worry too much about only studying one science. Most applicants don't even study a science at all so you would already be at an advantage. The good thing with nursing is that there are no specific requirements as such. Obviously Southhampton, Nottingham and a few others so have them but most of them tend to base offers on interviews and other things.

Nursing is harder to get into than you probably think though. One of my mates who is an A and B grade student got rejected from 3 of her choices in the first few months for seemingly no reason. That's why its best to apply for a mixture of degrees and diploms when the time comes, especially as the diplomas have tuition fee fees paid for you by the NHS.

Out of your three subjects I'd definately pick H&S and something you enjoy. If you like German then go for it because Lanaguages are never sniffed at! English Lit would provide you with some great writing skills if you were to take it too.
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
I have since spoken to one of the college teachers, and she suggested that i started with all 5 subjects, and then chose 1 to drop after 6 weeks.
Do you think this would be a good idea? I don't want to struggle in the first 6 weeks and be put off them all:confused:
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
I have since spoken to one of the college teachers, and she suggested that i started with all 5 subjects, and then chose 1 to drop after 6 weeks.
Do you think this would be a good idea? I don't want to struggle in the first 6 weeks and be put off them all:confused:
anyone?
:confused:
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
to drop1 after 6 weeks is pretty odd and the first ive heard of

what will you say to unis' I kinda have an extra AS level[it lasted 6 weeks-I have a 6 week AS]

what would you do that for?
[from your perspective?]
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
(Original post by malsi101)
to drop1 after 6 weeks is pretty odd and the first ive heard of

what will you say to unis' I kinda have an extra AS level[it lasted 6 weeks-I have a 6 week AS]

what would you do that for?
[from your perspective?]
a few people i know are also doing the same thing..
IF i decide to do this, i would do the 5 in my first post (biology, psyhcology, H+S, german, english lit), and then depending on which one out of the last 3 i disliked most i would drop that one.
i just wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not ?
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a few people i know are also doing the same thing..
IF i decide to do this, i would do the 5 in my first post (biology, psyhcology, H+S, german, english lit), and then depending on which one out of the last 3 i disliked most i would drop that one.
i just wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not ?

Oh yeah you can do that but what I mean is it wouldn't make no difference to your uni and they will not be able to know that you dropped out on one 6 weeks in because youll have 4 full others-the only thing it would mean is that you get to know the last 3 subjects you said and choose one you feel you cant manage and drop it-which is fine and a advantage to yourself only-but it would kinda mean your messing up your college or school lol!
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
Oh yeah you can do that but what I mean is it wouldn't make no difference to your uni and they will not be able to know that you dropped out on one 6 weeks in because youll have 4 full others-the only thing it would mean is that you get to know the last 3 subjects you said and choose one you feel you cant manage and drop it-which is fine and a advantage to yourself only-but it would kinda mean your messing up your college or school lol!
yep i suppose, but it was the college's idea so:p:
thanks for your help
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yep i suppose, but it was the college's idea so:p:
thanks for your help

Oh thts okay then!

how sorted are you with your choices then! you even get to have a feel on what some subjects are like and drop one you dont like!-talk about life being good to ya:p:
live.laugh.love
Rep:
?
Oh thts okay then!

how sorted are you with your choices then! you even get to have a feel on what some subjects are like and drop one you dont like!-talk about life being good to ya:p:
haha i hope its going to be easy to choose after the 6 weeks though, otherwise i can see me posting another thread on here again for more advice:rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads