The Student Room Group

English Lit

What grade would you give this paragraph and how could I improve it? The question is : How does Stevenson present the transgression of boundaries in the novel?

When Dr Lanyon describes Dr Jekyll’s science as “unscientific balderdash” , Stevenson presents the theme of transgression of boundaries. The noun “balderdash” implies that Dr Lanyon believes that Dr Jekyll’s science is nonsense and not real science. Similarly to how the average religious Victorian would not have accepted Dr Jekyll’s mystical and metaphysical science, as it was new and unknown, which contrasted to Dr Lanyon’s rational and orthodox science, which represents the repression during the Victorian era. Metaphysical science represents discovery, but also the unknown and being out of control. Upon further inspection, “unscientific balderdash” could also imply that Dr Lanyon wants to break the boundary of science, but he is afraid, so calls out Dr Jekyll for his science. This represents the repression in Victorian society, and that Victorian people may want to do something, but don’t because it isn’t socially acceptable.
I am sorry to disappointing but you are not allowed to swear. Speaking from a markers perspective this would get a 0 in my view. But you can decide if u prefer. I would recommend u speak to your teacher about deferring a year
Reply 2
Original post by ConradCosta
I am sorry to disappointing but you are not allowed to swear. Speaking from a markers perspective this would get a 0 in my view. But you can decide if u prefer. I would recommend u speak to your teacher about deferring a year

I’m sorry I don’t know what you’re talking about? I didn’t use any swear words. Please let me know which ones I used ; I’ll change it

Quick Reply