Does this seem a good routine/diet? Watch

BrightGirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey, i'm 16 and currently a size 8/10 but looking to lose some weight and tone up before my holiday in a month, and get to a size 6 overall by college in 2 months. I don't think it's that big a change, and am feeling quite positive about it!

I've recently joined a gym and hope to go at least 3 times a week for about an hour at a time. I jog in the mornings about 3 times a week, and have decided to do about 100 sit ups a night. I'm a really lazy exercise person :rolleyes: so this is quite a lot for me.
As for my diet, I don't think it's too bad although I skip breakfast (can't seem to manage anything in the mornings).
A typical day would probably be:

Breakfast
Nothing
Lunch
Some toast or maybe a sandwich or a salad
Dinner
Veggie hot dogs in a roll or pasta or some sort of vegetarian meat substitute and salad/vegetables
Snacks
Drinks- Lots of tea (no sugar + skimmed milk) and diet coke and sugar free squash and options hot chocolate and if i'm in town then a skinny cappuccino from starbucks!
Food- Fruit, sometimes cereal with skimmed milk, cereal bar, sometimes a low fat chocolate pudding after dinner

Do you think what i'm doing will help me lose the weight? Is there anything I can improve?

Thanks
xxx
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you have to have breakfast otherwise it won't help!

make sure you have some sort of healthy brekky! you'll find you will loose more weight if you have brekky!

your diet seems fine.
remember to treat yourself now and then
size 8/10 is fine, and some would say no need to diet size
but if you want to make sure you are careful-dont loose too much.
xx
omni1
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
you should eat breakfest, eat porrıge for breakfest or those oaty cornflakes. dont drınk coke, are you a vegatarıan? veggıe hot dogs sounds quıte dısgustıng, and what do they put ın them? ıt probbaly ısnt healthy for you. dont eat the puddıng eıther. ı dont thınk you need to loose weıght anyway.....
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
I'm just never hungry in the mornings...but maybe I can have some fruit or something? Or would a glass of milk be enough - my mum's always telling me I don't get enough calcium.
Yeah i'm a vegetarian, and i'm not sure what's in the hot dogs but they taste really yummy and only have 71 calories in one (I usually have 2 :p:)
mavoury
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You NEED to eat breakfast. If you don't your metabolism will remain at the same slow pace it is at during the night, when you're not using any energy, so you will store more fat during the day. Skipping breakfast also means your body feels starved, so it clings onto fat, meaning you lose less weight. And it also makes you more likely to snack on fast-sugars (high in calories) throughout the day.
Try and avoid sugary cereals, you want foods high in fibre that release energy slowly so you can stay full till lunch, and not snack. Eg. oatmeal, Weetabix, Oatabix, porridge. If you find the taste too bland, add some fresh fruit.

The exercise sounds good, but try and mix up your regime, so you dont get bored. Add in some swimming or exercising to an exercise video. Take a rest day every 3 or 4 days, or you will strain yourself.
wackysparkle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I used to be like you - couldn't stomach a breakfast at all.
I completely changed now and I have a big breakfast and the amount I consume deteriorates during the day..
even I'm on a strict diet right now and i've lost nearly 3kg in the last 2 weeks.
I have a bowl of crunchy nut with low fat milk + a glass of lemonade + 1 egg for breakie. For lunch I have an apple and 3 crackers.
For dinner it's usually cereal or maybe a sandwich.
Snacks - cherries and grapes.
+ plenty of water.
I don't eat chocolate in any form, no caffeine intake - and that means no starbucks either!

I'd say - hold off of the diet coke coz all fizzy drinks actually make your stomach bigger because of the fizz.
Avoid chocolate if you can -

I do 100 sit-ups a day too!! -- gets easier lol - I also have another series of workouts I do after that.

Reason I'm so strict with myself is coz I do a job that requires me mainly being behind a computer for 10 hours a day - so can't afford to gain weight!!

size 8/10 is quite perfect actually.. I myself am a size 10 nearly an 8 now.

remember that you need to stick to at least a 1000 calorie diet!.. anything lower could harm you quite bad.
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by mavoury)
Eg. oatmeal, Weetabix, Oatabix, porridge. If you find the taste too bland, add some fresh fruit.

The exercise sounds good, but try and mix up your regime, so you dont get bored. Add in some swimming or exercising to an exercise video. Take a rest day every 3 or 4 days, or you will strain yourself.
Ok, I think i'll start eating a weetabix in the mornings then, not too keen on porridge really and it takes too long to make!
Ooh I have an vid, so may use that occasionally too

(Original post by wackysparkle)
I used to be like you - couldn't stomach a breakfast at all.
I completely changed now and I have a big breakfast and the amount I consume deteriorates during the day..
even I'm on a strict diet right now and i've lost nearly 3kg in the last 2 weeks.
I have a bowl of crunchy nut with low fat milk + a glass of lemonade + 1 egg for breakie. For lunch I have an apple and 3 crackers.
+ plenty of water.
I don't eat chocolate in any form, no caffeine intake - and that means no starbucks either!

I'd say - hold off of the diet coke coz all fizzy drinks actually make your stomach bigger because of the fizz.
Avoid chocolate if you can -

I do 100 sit-ups a day too!! -- gets easier lol - I also have another series of workouts I do after that.

Reason I'm so strict with myself is coz I do a job that requires me mainly being behind a computer for 10 hours a day - so can't afford to gain weight!!

size 8/10 is quite perfect actually.. I myself am a size 10 nearly an 8 now.

remember that you need to stick to at least a 1000 calorie diet!.. anything lower could harm you quite bad.
Gosh your so strict! And well done, 3kgs is loads!
I know I shouldn't drink diet coke, but i'm so addicted to it. We never have it in the house though, so it's only when I go out I buy some.
With chocolate, I don't eat that much, but every so often I do treat myself to some. It's never a daily thing though. And I don't eat much junk at all - very rarely crisps and I never go to fast food places.
Surely if I had just like a couple of coffees a week it wouldn't be bad would it - it's not that much caffeine?

Lol I have to do my sit ups in groups of 5 of 20 each :p: - can't keep going without a break hehe.

Edit: I know size 8/10 is fine, but I feel a lot better when i'm slimmer, and i'm intending to do it the healthy way!
wackysparkle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BrightGirl)
Gosh your so strict! And well done, 3kgs is loads!
I know I shouldn't drink diet coke, but i'm so addicted to it. We never have it in the house though, so it's only when I go out I buy some.
With chocolate, I don't eat that much, but every so often I do treat myself to some. It's never a daily thing though. And I don't eat much junk at all - very rarely crisps and I never go to fast food places.
Surely if I had just like a couple of coffees a week it wouldn't be bad would it - it's not that much caffeine?

Lol I have to do my sit ups in groups of 5 of 20 each :p: - can't keep going without a break hehe.
thank you muchly ... still have another 5 Kgs to go before I'm off on holiday in 5 weeks!!

Well the occasional diet coke isn't that bad! -- just don't drink it every day. The chemicals in it is the other concern really...
As to the junk food - you sound like me.. before! lol.. yeah, a treat here and there isn't that bad.. but make sure you balance it out, as in you don't have a heavy dinner or something... and the next day eat light.. coz chocolate does carry a lot of calories!! the doubledecker itself is like an entire meal!

Don't mind me about the caffeine thing - I'm going through a detox phase right now coz I had 2 weeks at uni where I only drank coffee, tea, diet coke and had chocolate, all to stay awake and keep working throughout every night.. only got about 15 hours sleep.
So my body literally collapsed after that and I had a breakout on my face - so detoxing is the only thing I can do right now, and its working.

Tea and coffee aren't bad at all, just make sure it skimmed milk and no sugar if possible :p:

hahaa.. yeah.. it'll get easier after about 2 weeks.. and in about a month you will see results on your abs
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by wackysparkle)

+ plenty of water.
Aahh you make me feel like I eat loads! :p: do you never have a hot meal?! I love cereal but couldn't just have it for tea haha. Well done for losing all that weight though, pretty impressive
wackysparkle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lili!)
Aahh you make me feel like I eat loads! :p: do you never have a hot meal?! I love cereal but couldn't just have it for tea haha. Well done for losing all that weight though, pretty impressive
haha my lil sis says the same thing.
Well.. actually thinking about it.. I hardly ever have a hot meal really - and the reason I'm so used to just having cereal is coz at uni when you are cramped up with work and have no time to make yourself something crunchy nut is the way to go :p:
And you guessed it.. I was basically known for eating only cereals and sandwiches :rolleyes:.... but funny thing was that towards the end of this year I was known for my baking.. cookies, cakes etc.. ahahah... pretty weird considering my diet.

Thanks..been doing it for nearly 3 weeks now.. hopefully I can take the diet through this month!
FluxC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Choo need some protein gurl.
BrightGirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by FluxC)
Choo need some protein gurl.
I know, but don't the veggie meat substitutes have it in? I sometimes have baked beans on toast...
Lady Venom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eat more and exercise. You HAVE to eat more including breakfast to get your metabolism going to shift weight.

Breakfast like a King
Lunch like a Prince
Dinner like a Pauper.

With 3 extra meals in between. Depending on your goals depends on your evening meal size. I don't have many carbs in the evening unless I know I'm doing some heavy cardio the next morning. Instead I usually have a complex carb an hour before in the morning, but then I'm not trying to be a size 6. I'm trying to be super duperly fit and have an awesome body - the size 6 just came with that goal and a shed load of hard work.
omni1
Report 10 years ago
arnt situps quite useless. i feel more... pain? when i do crunches so it feels like im working my abs more
Emmska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by BrightGirl)
I know, but don't the veggie meat substitutes have it in? I sometimes have baked beans on toast...
Egg whites babe!
Eric_7
Report 10 years ago
Id say not eating breakfast is your biggest problem with nutrition wise, when you get a proper breakfast your bodys metabolism speeds up quite a bit and I heard it really helps your overall health alot

Im not an expert or anything, but Id strongly suggest eating some high fiber foods in the morning, anything with whole grain and processed sugar.

Also the diet coke is pretty bad for your body, theres no sugar but the sweeteners in it are basically poison.
AussieKat
Report 10 years ago
When I get up... I normally can't stomach breakfast for at least an hour. So i get to college and THEN have breakfast, you hear it all over the place that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day!" and its true. If I miss breakfast all together I can't function properly.

I have cereal for breakfast, a full cooked dinner and then a snack at tea time because if i eat too much then, I'm uncomfortable and can't sleep.

I jog, I lift heavy weights all day (at work not weight-lifting the work-out) I don't snack unless it's fruit and drink orange juice and coke zero

I've managed to lose a stone this way but why do you need to get down to a size six?! 8/10 is great x
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It sounds like you're aiming to be underweight.
Thrace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by omni1)
... are you a vegatarıan? veggıe hot dogs sounds quıte dısgustıng, and what do they put ın them? ıt probbaly ısnt healthy for you. dont eat the puddıng eıther.
Veggie sausages are fantastic. They're usually made of soy, and I don't imagine they're more unhealthy than, say, veggie burger or other soy products. Tofu is another soy product, and it's fantastically versatile and healthy and tasty when prepared right.

I love cooking, and baking in particular. I love my pudding. You do not have to stop eating pudding just because you want to lose weight. Just don't do it daily... treat yourself once or twice a week. If you make the pudding a part of your diet, you're less likely to start craving sweets. And by treating it as a part of your diet, you don't need to feel "guilty" for eating it.
minimo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Freud)
It sounds like you're aiming to be underweight.
Ditto. Unless you're under CONSIDERABLY under 5' size 8/10 is not fat! I lost weight TO GET TO that size and now y'all talk about wanting to lose further weight.

Luckily I'm sensible, like.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (469)
38.13%
No - but I will (95)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.07%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (579)
47.07%

Watched Threads