The Student Room Group

Application help

Hey, Im currently studying Law at a university in Ireland but wish to transfer to a different college in the UK such as Uni of Bristol or Nottingham. I contacted the admissions for each uni and I was told that I can not transfer and must apply through year 1, which also means I have to retake the Irish Leaving Cert. I did not achieve the minimum grades required due to extenuating circumstances (recently diagnosed with ADD) which could mean that I can resit.My questions are:1) Should I mention that I'm enrolled in a uni studying law in my personal statement? Would it benefit me in anyway?2) Are my chances of getting an offer lowered since I am re-taking?
Firstly, you will need to list your current uni in the education section of the UCAS form, but how much you talk about your current course is up to you. If it were me, I would briefly outline my reasons for preferring to do the course at an English uni - the student body being more diverse, etc

Secondly, most unis don't mind retakes - Bristol don't, for example, but Nottingham might - best to check directly with their Admissions. As your situation is somewhat complicated, I think I would phone or email Admissions at both unis and ask for their advice as to how you should proceed. Explain about your recent diagnosis and see if you would qualify for a lower offer.

@returnmigrant may wish to comment later about Bristol
Bristol does not allow 2nd year transfers for Law under any circumstances. If you want to study at Bristol you will have to start in year 1.

If you do not have the Irish grades, its unlikely that they will look at you unless you are retaking - this is what they would expect you to do, regardless of extenuating circumstances. Its possible (only possible) that they may look at your Irish Highers alongside your Irish Year 1 results - but you would have to email Bristol and ask about this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending