Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What's better for a potential comp sci student who has a limited budget and just wants to do well at the course, maybe run Linux on a VM or two (but is not a gamer):

standard laptop with an i7 processor, 8GB RAM etc

"gaming" laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB RAM, better graphics card etc. (and it's a bit heavier to carry than standard laptop)

Thank you for your input in advance
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What's better for a potential comp sci student who has a limited budget and just wants to do well at the course, maybe run Linux on a VM or two (but is not a gamer):

standard laptop with an i7 processor, 8GB RAM etc

"gaming" laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB RAM, better graphics card etc. (and it's a bit heavier to carry than standard laptop)

Thank you for your input in advance
If you need any heavy duty computational support, the university will be able to give you access to that. You dont need a killer machine for basic student stuff in STEM degrees, just about any i7 laptop is going to be able to handle a fair bit of Python, Matlab etc, along with Word and a graphics package for doing lab reports. If you get to the point where you are doing multiple hour long computational runs in a lab or project, its time to ask for access to a bigger machine or cluster from your supervisor.
username4998226
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do computer science and have a £200 Lenovo, you don't need an expensive laptop, the uni has facilities (I don't use those I only use my laptop). You don't need to go broke to work on your mips and Java projects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.92%
I'm not sure (30)
4.8%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (198)
31.68%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.52%

Watched Threads