Can I go to University with 2 A-Levels and a BTEC or do I need a 3rd A-Level?

Watch
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can I go to University with 2 A-Levels (Business Studies and Economics) and a BTEC (Applied Law) or do I need a 3rd A-Level? I have been thinking about resitting GCSE Maths this November or maybe next May/June and then doing A-Level Maths as I think I may need it to do Accounting and Finance at University. I have thought about which university and my top is DMU but I am not sure what other universities I could go to as most people apply to 4 and then choose 1 so I need three other possibilities but I can’t think of any so I need your help and recommendations. I know it is an extra year but I wouldn’t mind doing it as I have until I am 25 according to my EHCP. I hope to get at least 2Cs and a Merit this year in AS but I still haven’t had any tests or mocks yet so these predictions are
just my target grades and there is not really much to go by. I hope you are able to give me good bits of advice about this. Thanks and Best wishes From Michael.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mjhmichael18)
Can I go to University with 2 A-Levels (Business Studies and Economics) and a BTEC (Applied Law) or do I need a 3rd A-Level? I have been thinking about resitting GCSE Maths this November or maybe next May/June and then doing A-Level Maths as I think I may need it to do Accounting and Finance at University. I have thought about which university and my top is DMU but I am not sure what other universities I could go to as most people apply to 4 and then choose 1 so I need three other possibilities but I can’t think of any so I need your help and recommendations. I know it is an extra year but I wouldn’t mind doing it as I have until I am 25 according to my EHCP. I hope to get at least 2Cs and a Merit this year in AS but I still haven’t had any tests or mocks yet so these predictions are
just my target grades and there is not really much to go by. I hope you are able to give me good bits of advice about this. Thanks and Best wishes From Michael.
Yes you can go to uni with 2 A levels and a BTEC - I will write more tomorrow about it.

In the meantime, please can you say why you are thinking about resitting your maths - what grade did you get in your maths GCSE and also your English GCSE?
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
Maths GCSE- 5 twice

I need a higher grade to do A-Level Maths and I want to do A-Level Maths because I like Maths a lot as it is my favourite subject.

English GCSE-4 - 2nd time round
Last edited by mjhmichael18; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths GCSE- 5 twice
Thank you Michael

I will write you a proper reply tomorrow when I can concentrate but I'm half watching The Apprentice at the moment
xozxexo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths GCSE- 5 twice

I need a higher grade to do A-Level Maths and I want to do A-Level Maths because I like Maths a lot as it is my favourite subject.

I would also maybe consider retaking English as the 4 could potentially hold you back from certain universities if you happen to do very well in your A Levels.

Looking on UCAS it says you do not need maths or economics to become an Accountant although these are preferred. My best suggestion is to look at university websites and look at their entry requirements, where they sit in league tables and then going to see them on open days and start the process early.

Top universities like Loughborough and Birmingham accept two A levels in combination with your btec so it is very much your choice whether you want to pick up a third A level or not. I have seen and heard that A level maths is extremely hard however, if you put the work in im sure it will be rewarding if you do really enjoy the subject.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Michael,

Reading what you've written, it depends which course you want to study and which unis you're considering. The following guidelines may assist you;
Universities you're applying to:
A level subjects:
GCSE grades:
Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Which career?
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-match
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...with-my-degree
Career profiles
https://www.planitplus.net/JobProfiles?letter=A
https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/my-c...s/job-profiles
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

Alternatively, you can contact your choice of universities via phone and/or email.
Hope this helps and do feel free to let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,
Jon
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Michael, I think you would be better off focussing on your A levels and Btec now rather than resitting your Maths - a grade 5 is a good pass but I think you would struggle with A level maths as it is much harder than GCSE and at many schools and colleges they only let you do it if you have achieved grade 6 at GCSE. Your top uni is DMU and they only require a 4 in GCSE Maths and English for their Acccounting and Finance degree, while even Leicester uni only require a 5 in Maths. So why stress yourself out trying to do a GCSE resit and a third A level when you don't need to?

It would be good to go to some university Open days in Year 12 to get an idea which unis you want to apply to. Obviously you are keen on DMU but maybe you could also visit Leicester uni. There are lot of other unis that do Accounting & Finance too, but it depends on where you would like to study? One other good uni is Nottingham Trent - they also accept a 5 in GCSE Maths

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-cour...ng-and-finance
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
I want to be within a 90 minute journey of my current home which is in a little village near Rugby. I don’t really mind where as long as it still fits this area.

I would try to find near campus accommodation.

I have 5 GCSEs altogether which include: Film Studies, Maths, English Language, 2 in Combined Science.

I think it may be worthwhile as I do enjoy the subject and there is a bit of Maths in Accounting and Finance I believe.

I at one time was thinking of doing Physics but my dad said to me the other day that it is hard and Engineering would not suit me and I am not sure what the point of doing A-Level Physics is if you don’t want to be an Engineer.
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
(Original post by De Montfort University)
Hello Michael,

Reading what you've written, it depends which course you want to study and which unis you're considering. The following guidelines may assist you;
Universities you're applying to:
A level subjects:
GCSE grades:
Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Which career?
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-match
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...with-my-degree
Career profiles
https://www.planitplus.net/JobProfiles?letter=A
https://www.myworldofwork.co.uk/my-c...s/job-profiles
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers

Alternatively, you can contact your choice of universities via phone and/or email.
Hope this helps and do feel free to let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,
Jon
I want to study an Accounting and Finance degree at University.
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Hi Michael, I think you would be better off focussing on your A levels and Btec now rather than resitting your Maths - a grade 5 is a good pass but I think you would struggle with A level maths as it is much harder than GCSE and at many schools and colleges they only let you do it if you have achieved grade 6 at GCSE. Your top uni is DMU and they only require a 4 in GCSE Maths and English for their Acccounting and Finance degree, while even Leicester uni only require a 5 in Maths. So why stress yourself out trying to do a GCSE resit and a third A level when you don't need to?

It would be good to go to some university Open days in Year 12 to get an idea which unis you want to apply to. Obviously you are keen on DMU but maybe you could also visit Leicester uni. There are lot of other unis that do Accounting & Finance too, but it depends on where you would like to study? One other good uni is Nottingham Trent - they also accept a 5 in GCSE Maths

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-cour...ng-and-finance
I want to be within a 90 minute journey of my current home which is in a little village near Rugby. I don’t really mind where as long as it still fits this area.

I have 5 GCSEs altogether which include: Film Studies, Maths, English Language, 2 in Combined Science.

I think it may be worthwhile as I do enjoy the subject and there is a bit of Maths in Accounting and Finance.

I at one time was thinking of doing Physics but my dad said to me the other day that it is hard and Engineering would not suit me and I am not sure what the point of doing A-Level Physics is if you don’t want to be an Engineer.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I think it may be worthwhile as I do enjoy the subject and there is a bit of Maths in Accounting and Finance I believe.

Coventry uni must be close to you isn't it? And they accept BTEC courses
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
Coventry uni must be close to you isn't it? And they accept BTEC courses
I also have strict rules about which university I can go to and Coventry does not fit those rules as my dad went there and I think it is bad idea to go to the same University as one of your parents.

Yes it is close to me still but I have strict rules against it as my dad went there.

My dad went to the University of London and the University of Coventry.

My mum went to the University of Leeds and the University of Birmingham and she currently works at the University of Warwick.

I also don’t want to go to Warwick University because my mum is working there.

I also don’t want to go to the University of Westminster because my mum once worked there.

I also don’t want to go to the University of Northampton as my mum tried to get a job there.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I also have strict rules about which university I can go to and Coventry does not fit those rules as my dad went there and I think it is bad idea to go to the same University as one of your parents.
What unis do fit your rules?
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
What unis do fit your rules?
It must be within a 90 minute journey of my current home which is in a little village near Rugby.

My rules are basically that I cannot go to the same university as my parents did or any university they once worked at or tried to get a job at.

The only universities that break these rules are:
University of London- My Dad went there
University of Leeds - My Mum went there
University of Coventry- My Dad went there
University of Birmingham- My mum went there
University of Warwick- My mum works there
University of Westminster- My mum once worked there
University of Northampton- My mum tried to get a job there once.

Most other universities fit my rules as long as they are within the 90 minute journey area.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It must be within a 90 minute journey of my current home which is in a little village near Rugby.

My rules are basically that I cannot go to the same university as my parents did or any university they once worked at or tried to get a job at.

The only universities that break these rules are:
University of London- My Dad went there
University of Leeds - My Mum went there
University of Coventry- My Dad went there
University of Birmingham- My mum went there
University of Warwick- My mum works there
University of Westminster- My mum once worked there
University of Northampton- My mum tried to get a job there once.

Most other universities fit my rules.
Hmmm.... I think you are being a bit rigid, it doesn't matter if you go to a uni that your mum once tried to get a job at, that won't affect anything at all
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?

Yes it is close to me still but I have strict rules against it as my dad went there.

My dad went to the University of London and the University of Coventry.

My mum went to the University of Leeds and the University of Birmingham and she currently works at the University of Warwick.

I also don’t want to go to Warwick University because my mum is working there.

I also don’t want to go to the University of Westminster because my mum once worked there.

I also don’t want to go to the University of Northampton as my mum tried to get a job there.
These are the all universities that break my rules.

Most of the other universities fit my rules as long as they are within the 90 minute journey area.

I want this to be the case as I want to travel home at the end of each term or semester.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Have you looked into UWE in Bristol, Sheffield or Hallam in Sheffield, Nottingham or Trent in Nottingham, , Reading, Keele, Aston etc
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Have you looked into UWE in Bristol, Sheffield or Hallam in Sheffield, Nottingham or Trent in Nottingham, , Reading, Keele, Aston etc
No, I haven’t.

Do any of them fit my 90 minute journey area which basically says it needs to be within a 90 minute journey from my current home which is in a little village near Rugby?

I want this to be the case because I would like to travel home at the end of each term or semester.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I haven’t.

Do any of them fit my 90 minute journey area which basically says it needs to be within a 90 minute journey from my current home which is in a little village near Rugby?

I want this to be the case because I would like to travel home at the end of each term or semester.
Some are some slightly longer. You can travel home for much longer than that. I know of someone who travelled from Durham to Swansea. 3 hours is a fairly reasonable time to get home although these are all with about 2 hours
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
swansea jack1
These do all fit my rules. So no problems there.

I just have some questions about them.

I am not really saying against a longer journey as long as it is not longer than the 5 hour journey my mum did from Worthing to Leeds.

Do these universities accept BTEC courses as well as A-Levels?

Do these universities do an Accounting and Finance course or any course similar to that?

Are any of these universities Russell group?

Thanks and Best wishes From Michael.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (338)
83.66%
No (66)
16.34%

Watched Threads