The Student Room Group

If Brexit is racist...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiberOfLondon
1) Opposition to immigration isn't racist (this from someone who would follow an ”open borders for skilled professionals” position - certainly not a ”send 'em all back to where they came from” chap). Opposition to particular immigrants on the grounds of race (as the EU does) is.
2) As the old joke (at least on our WhatsApp) goes:
Brexit is:
So racist it's backed by Kwasi Kwarteng
So xenophobic it's backed by Dominic Kawcynski
So misogynistic it's backed by Andrea Leadsom
So Islamophobic it's backed by Sajid Javid
So anti-Semitic it's backed by Dominic Raab
So anti-Catholic it's backed by Jacob Rees-Mogg
So homophobic it's backed by Darren Grimes
So transphobic it's backed by India Willoughby.

That in itself does not support the argument that Brexit is not racist. I don't think it is, even though some of those who voted for it are.
Original post by barnetlad
That in itself does not support the argument that Brexit is not racist. I don't think it is, even though some of those who voted for it are.

It does, as Kwarteng, Cleverly, Patel and Javid are all members of ethnic minorities and support Brexit.
Reply 22
Original post by Burton Bridge
Read this forum, I can name you at least 5 who do.

No you can't.
Reply 23
No maybe hes making a point you are missing, imagine that?

Possible, but not very likely.
As you understood his point, explain how the EU is "institutionally racist".
Reply 24
No. The EU prioritises immigrants from majority white, Eastern European countries over ones from majority non-white, Commonwealth countries. Pretty racist.

In what way does it do this?
Reply 25
It does, as Kwarteng, Cleverly, Patel and Javid are all members of ethnic minorities and support Brexit.

So you are saying that non-white people cannot be racist or support racist ideas?
Interesting.
Original post by QE2
No you can't.

Well you are one :wink:
Original post by QE2
So you are saying that non-white people cannot be racist or support racist ideas?
Interesting.

:facepalm:

Original post by QE2
Possible, but not very likely.
As you understood his point, explain how the EU is "institutionally racist".

I'd say it's highly likely. The EU is protectionist to it's own which disproportionately European white caucasian, also non white people like @LiberOfLondon mention are unlikely to be fearful of ... to use your own crass language quote "a few brown people", let's be honest :rolleyes:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by QE2
Interesting.

No, I am saying that you can't be a white supremacist when being very clearly non-white.
Original post by Kitten in boots
It’s not and very few people believe all Brexit supporters are racist.

It’s just become a common refrain among Brexiters to claim that they are viewed as racists by remain supporters. It is part of their victimhood narrative.

No... we maintain you attract racists and that is where half of your support comes from.
Reply 30
Well you are one :wink:

Oh, you poor thing.
I don't think that "Brexit is racist", merely that some people who support it and voted for it are.
Reply 31
:facepalm:

So, what. Do you think they can or they can't? (I know how adverse you are to answering straight questions)

I'd say it's highly likely.

But you rarely have a clue what you're talking about, so we can dismiss that.

The EU is protectionist to it's own which disproportionately European white caucasian,

So, you think that the EU is "institutionally racist" because its policies favour EU member states over non EU members. :rofl:
Genius! Just when I think you can't get any worse!

also non white people like LiberOfLondon mention are unlikely to be fearful of ... to use your own crass language quote "a few brown people", let's be honest :rolleyes:

What does that even mean?
BTW, either you know that any mention of "Brown Foreigners" (not "a few brown people") is satirising the views of many Brexiters of the people who they believe are to blame for many of the county's ills, and you are being dishonest - or you just don't understand. Either one is just as likely.
Reply 32
No, I am saying that you can't be a white supremacist when being very clearly non-white.

You could be. You'd just have to be a bit stupid, lack self-awareness and not know what is in your own best interests.
Otherwise known as "Leave voters".
No. The EU prioritises immigrants from majority white, Eastern European countries over ones from majority non-white, Commonwealth countries. Pretty racist.

You are getting confused. They prioritise citizens from other EU countries because they are members. of the EU.
No maybe hes making a point you are missing, imagine that?

Imagine 6 Eurosceptic Tories turning this into a canker back in 1993. It should have been amputated there!
Original post by Arran90
If Brexit is racist, then exactly at what point in time did Brexit become racist?

It's hard to believe that Brexit was racist back in the early 1980s when it was Labour Party policy. Also, there was little evidence that Brexit was racist back in 1997 with Jimmy Goldsmith's Referendum Party. Even UKIP was established as a non-racist and non-sectarian party.

Simply put Brexit is not racist.
Original post by QE2
You could be. You'd just have to be a bit stupid, lack self-awareness and not know what is in your own best interests.

What is more racist? 52% of the referendum voters? Or characterizing minorities who voted ‘leave’ as ‘a bit stupid, lack self awareness and not know what is in your self interest.’

Isn’t that relegating the intelligence of every minority ‘leave’ voter, and assigning a paternalistic rationale to ‘remain’ voters?
Original post by Gingertraveller
Simply put Brexit is not racist.

Of course it isn't and everyone knows it isnt, not least for the reasons I highlighted in #17.
Original post by QE2
Oh, you poor thing.
I don't think that "Brexit is racist", merely that some people who support it and voted for it are.

Oh sorry, I made the mistake of thinking you believed what you say again. I keep forgetting you type any old tripe to score political points with contradictory meanings.

On the topic of any old tripe;

Original post by QE2
So, what. Do you think they can or they can't? (I know how adverse you are to answering straight questions)

But you rarely have a clue what you're talking about, so we can dismiss that.

So, you think that the EU is "institutionally racist" because its policies favour EU member states over non EU members. :rofl:
Genius! Just when I think you can't get any worse!

What does that even mean?
BTW, either you know that any mention of "Brown Foreigners" (not "a few brown people") is satirising the views of many Brexiters of the people who they believe are to blame for many of the county's ills, and you are being dishonest - or you just don't understand. Either one is just as likely.

You have wrote loads of it there. You managed to completely remove the context of my post by breaking one small sentence up into 4 sections to make fallacious statements, tis nice :borat:

What I think was detailed in my post in #17, I was mearly explaining another posters potential view point on you're instruction. A view you clearly could not assimilate so you asked me to explain it too you! double :facepalm::facepalm:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by QE2

So Brexiteers are all stupid and need to be taught by the superior Remoaners what's in their best interest? Seems a bit ”white man's burden”-ish to me.

Quick Reply

Latest