The Student Room Group

Help, Am I the problem

I live with my boyfriend, been in our house for over a year. I just got annoyed by coming home from work, to see that’s he had left for work 6 hours ago and he left the blinds open and the lights inside on. anyone who walks past my house can now see right in. (A lot of people would have walked passed school time and had a nosey in) he got assy because I never asked how he was, before jumping down his throat, which is fair enough, but I feel uncomfortable knowing the inside of my house is in full show to whoever walks past!
I feel like this happens a lot. I worried I’m the problem. Any small issue is made into this big thing and both of us annoyed at one another, mostly me annoyed at him.
I’m the one who would mostly clean the house, and do the dishes. If I ask him to do the dishes because we have no more cutlery and plates, he will tell me, he will do it in his own time, but 9 times out of 10 he’s just on the PlayStation, a week will pass, I’ve refused to do it because I’m waiting for him to do it and he’s still not done them! but I end up saying sorry to him for starting fights over the dishes, (reminding him to do it)
I would like to live a nice clean home, but he doesn’t care and makes it clear he doesn’t care about this.
He complained when I asked him to help pay towards the new vacuum cleaner as ours broke, only 25% but almost every conversation or every day one of us, mostly me, has started a squabble and I’ve reacted poorly to the comments he I live with my boyfriend, been in our house for over a year. I just got annoyed by coming home from work, to see that’s he had left for work 6 hours ago and he left the blinds open and the lights inside on. anyone who walks past my house can now see right in. (A lot of people would have walked passed school time and had a nosey in) he got assy because I never asked how he was, before jumping down his throat, which is fair enough, but I feel uncomfortable knowing the inside of my house is in full show to whoever walks past!
I feel like this happens a lot. I worried I’m the problem. Any small issue is made into this big thing and both of us annoyed at one another, mostly me annoyed at him.
I’m the one who would mostly clean the house, and do the dishes. If I ask him to do the dishes because we have no more cutlery and plates, he will tell me, he will do it in his own time, but 9 times out of 10 he’s just on the PlayStation, a week will pass, I’ve refused to do it because I’m waiting for him to do it and he’s still not done them! but I end up saying sorry to him for starting fights over the dishes, (reminding him to do it)
I would like to live a nice clean home, but he doesn’t care and makes it clear he doesn’t care about this.
He complained when I asked him to help pay towards the new vacuum cleaner as ours broke, only 25% but almost every conversation or every day one of us, mostly me, has started a squabble and I’ve reacted poorly to the comments he makes.
He says we are lucky we only fight over stuff like this, but I’m so sick of the squabbling over the little like this! He’s openly said we have nothing in common-is this why we fight? We are just different.If I’m the problem for being too uptight, please tell me, and how to care less
Original post by Anonymous
I live with my boyfriend, been in our house for over a year. I just got annoyed by coming home from work, to see that’s he had left for work 6 hours ago and he left the blinds open and the lights inside on. anyone who walks past my house can now see right in. (A lot of people would have walked passed school time and had a nosey in) he got assy because I never asked how he was, before jumping down his throat, which is fair enough, but I feel uncomfortable knowing the inside of my house is in full show to whoever walks past!
He complained when I asked him to help pay towards the new vacuum cleaner as ours broke, only 25% but almost every conversation or every day one of us, mostly me, has started a squabble and I’ve reacted poorly to the comments he I live with my boyfriend, been in our house for over a year. I just got annoyed by coming home from work, to see that’s he had left for work 6 hours ago and he left the blinds open and the lights inside on. anyone who walks past my house can now see right in. (A lot of people would have walked passed school time and had a nosey in) he got assy because I never asked how he was, before jumping down his throat, which is fair enough, but I feel uncomfortable knowing the inside of my house is in full show to whoever walks past!
He complained when I asked him to help pay towards the new vacuum cleaner as ours broke, only 25% but almost every conversation or every day one of us, mostly me, has started a squabble and I’ve reacted poorly to the comments he makes.
He says we are lucky we only fight over stuff like this, but I’m so sick of the squabbling over the little like this! He’s openly said we have nothing in common-is this why we fight? We are just different.If I’m the problem for being too uptight, please tell me, and how to care less

No you’re not in the wrong. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people leave the lights in so I understand why something like that annoys you. He needs to grow up and take responsibility for the household duties as well instead of just playing on his play station. I wouldn’t break up or anything over the situation like this however this maybe a sign that he can’t act maturely especially considering you two have a house together
You're dating a manbaby. There's no reason, why, as an adult living in their own home, an individual can't do something as simple as make sure lights are off before going out or do the washing up. If you work more than he does then he should really be putting in more effort with household chores. I'm at uni and don't work but my partner works full time, guess who does all the cleaning, washing, cooking? It's only fair that as the person who's got more time - even though I obviously do a lot of uni work at home - should pick up the slack when it comes to basic household chores
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree with bones. It sounds like you're overreacting to individual incidents but only bc they're not individual!! And it is really annoying to live with a slob. Unfortunately I think you're in a catch 22 if you're not prepared to walk out over this. Things can change but only with a partner who cares... I've felt like I do basically everything with my bf before but I talked to him and asked how we can do things differently so he helps out... he suggested some stuff that helped motivate him and picked some chores and now we're good. But he did care about the house, he's a motivated person and he respects me ... he was just in a rut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending