No (59)
79.73%
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1roM98Dass

I think I lost a few brain cells by listening to the guy with the glasses, I fully support Piers here, this whole gender (As in biological sexes) is getting out of control.
Gender-fluid, non-binary gender, poly-gender, dragon-gender etc..what next? Snack-gender?

If this is what 21st century is like, god help people like me

Keep in mind when I say gender I mean the biological sexes
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Morgan's an embarrassment, a sad man who in the last 12 months has been outraged by some fireworks, a papoose, a sausage roll, a razor and a blt sandwich.

I'm guessing he thinks he's put across some sort of intellectual argument there when he's really just reinforced that he's using his platform to mock people, not to share the humour in their life (you can extract humour from pretty much any experience if you're that way inclined, that's why gallows humour exists) but to turn them into an object of ridicule.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Pretty weak reason to sack someone.
Though Piers Morgan is an insufferable ****.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Morgan's an embarrassment, a sad man who in the last 12 months has been outraged by some fireworks, a papoose, a sausage roll, a razor and a blt sandwich.

I'm guessing he thinks he's put across some sort of intellectual argument there when he's really just reinforced that he's using his platform to mock people, not to share the humour in their life (you can extract humour from pretty much any experience if you're that way inclined, that's why gallows humour exists) but to turn them into an object of ridicule.
Complaining about something and actively trying to get something banned are not the same thing.
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)

This.
Piers probably thought he was being really original & clever with his comments about non binary people when really it was on the same level as that silly meme about attack helicopters. He always makes himself look more ridiculous though in his attempts to mock other people's lifestyle choices. The whole thing about the vegan sausage roll is another thing that sticks in my mind. OK, it might not be to everyone's taste, but in that case, the normal response for most people would be to just not buy one, instead of making a huge issue out of it. Don't really agree with sacking him though, if it did happen he'd probably end up with an even higher profile anyway and be able to present himself as a victim of 'political correctness gone mad'.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's for ITV to decide, but I certainly wouldn't miss him if they did.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Like that would calm him down...

re: the OP I think the response would be that gender is a different thing to biological sex
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Piers should be sacked for so many things but will not be because he is ratings gold. Only answer is to not watch the show!
Neilos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Just watched the video and he didn't do or say anything sack-worthy (other than just being Piers Morgan).
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Agreed. Morgan can be an absolute ass sometimes, but much like Katie Hopkins (who can be an ass in her own right as well), sometimes they say things that are perfectly on point. Though I thought the whole penguin argument could've been phrased better, he never really seemed to push the point that if we can do it with gender, where does it stop? There's little difference between saying I've been wrongly assigned the gender of male when I am in fact non-binary and I've been wrongly assigned the species of human when I am in fact a penguin.

The whole gender lark is getting out of control. You're either male or female. That's it. Non-binary/Genderfluid/Bigender/polygender/intergender/demigender (yes, these are all slightly different takes on the same idea of not identifying as a single-gender)? No, you're not a different gender. You just don't dress/act the way many members of your gender do. You're not a different gender, you're just being an individual with your own tastes.

Agender? You're just looking for an excuse to be different. Etc...

I also fully agree with what India (pretty sure that's her name right?) was saying. This gender lark and this new take on 'transgender' makes an absolute mockery of real trans people. There's zero commitment.

Not to mention that the Sam Smith scenario that was mentioned is verging on setting a dangerous precedent... One moment he's gay, two years later he's the 'wrong' gender. It verges on implying that gay people aren't actually gay, but rather straight people 'born in the wrong bodies'. We may well go back to a point where gay people are somewhat demonised, being told they must transition because their love for the same gender means they were born in the wrong body.
CameronWS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think he's an absolute ****. However, I side with Piers on this one.
Last edited by CameronWS; 3 weeks ago
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by CameronWS)
I think he's an absolute c***. However, I side with Piers on this one.
Language sir!
CameronWS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Language sir!
I'll add an extra asterisk! Haha :P
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Of the many reasons this fatuous egotistical **** munch who so enjoys throwing around fissiparous statements, this particular one would seem to be rather low on the list of them.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For every person who wants him sacked, there are multiple (mostly older) viewers who love watching him every morning..

Lets be honest, if you want a hyper-progressive viewpoint on TV, there are plenty of places to go, and plenty of shows to watch that will give you exactly the message you want. The entitlement here is that those wanting him sacked (not those complaining about him being an arse, that is perfectly legitimate) is that they want TV to only conform to their perspective, no matter what. If you don't think as they do.. you should be fired.

Piers is like Clarkson and trump before he became the president... are they arses? 100%... but are they really entertaining sometimes and great at what they do? yep. Remove characters like them, and TV becomes increasingly stale and samey - full of people who hapily toe the line and stay beige for the sake of their jobs.

Besides, if you aren't the easily-triggered type.. his interviews can be really funny, even if you really disagree with him. For example his recent climate change interview was a load of nonsense where his arguement was literally stupid... but it was still really entertaining watching him shout 'do you have a TV' at a climate activist for 10 minutes...
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Clarkson for President!
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No and he wont be because he is a ratings dream. Example - we are talking about him now whether we agree or disagree and depending what your view is (fortunately or unfortunately) many people do agree with him.

I do respect him in a way like I do Jeremy Clarkson because they say what they think - the world would be an easier place if politicians did this right?

and regardless I dont really want to live in an echo chamber
Greywolftwo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Like that would calm him down...

re: the OP I think the response would be that gender is a different thing to biological sex
Gender these days is seen as a social construct rather than biological fact
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
Agreed. Morgan can be an absolute ass sometimes, but much like Katie Hopkins (who can be an ass in her own right as well), sometimes they say things that are perfectly on point. Though I thought the whole penguin argument could've been phrased better, he never really seemed to push the point that if we can do it with gender, where does it stop? There's little difference between saying I've been wrongly assigned the gender of male when I am in fact non-binary and I've been wrongly assigned the species of human when I am in fact a penguin.

The whole gender lark is getting out of control. You're either male or female. That's it. Non-binary/Genderfluid/Bigender/polygender/intergender/demigender (yes, these are all slightly different takes on the same idea of not identifying as a single-gender)? No, you're not a different gender. You just don't dress/act the way many members of your gender do. You're not a different gender, you're just being an individual with your own tastes.

Agender? You're just looking for an excuse to be different. Etc...

I also fully agree with what India (pretty sure that's her name right?) was saying. This gender lark and this new take on 'transgender' makes an absolute mockery of real trans people. There's zero commitment.

Not to mention that the Sam Smith scenario that was mentioned is verging on setting a dangerous precedent... One moment he's gay, two years later he's the 'wrong' gender. It verges on implying that gay people aren't actually gay, but rather straight people 'born in the wrong bodies'. We may well go back to a point where gay people are somewhat demonised, being told they must transition because their love for the same gender means they were born in the wrong body.
The penguin argument has absolutely no merit and is incredibly different to being non-binary, because our understanding of trans people suggests they are trans because of atypical development during sex critical periods of prenatal development. There is no species critical periods of development. A human fetus will always develop into a human, however for instance if the SRY4 gene doesn't quite activate at the right time, or only partially activates in some rather than all cells, then what with typical development would have turned out to be male can instead be female or somewhere in between.

India is full of **** - people who are non-binary do not invalidate binary trans people or lack commitment, they're just another facet of how gender manifests in our lives.

As for the rubbish about Sam Smith, while some homophobes will no doubt use that reasoning, it holds no ground. What you're arguing there is people shouldn't be allowed to live true to themselves and reconsider who they are as they grow in case people abuse that for points scoring. That's a pointless concession to the 'phobes and in reality little more than a way of dividing the LGBTQ community

(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Gender these days is seen as a social construct rather than biological fact
Because it is and always has been, the gender divisions are a cultural phenomenon, with many cultures having 3rd genders (two spirit in a number of indigenous American tribes, fa'afafatine in Polynesian cultures, the Hirja of India, Mahu in native Hawaii as some examples). Don't make the mistake of confusing "social construct" with "not real/useful". Language and money are also social constructs but they're absolutely real and useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (262)
54.47%
18-20 years old (no) (62)
12.89%
20-25 years old (yes) (80)
16.63%
20-25 years old (no) (9)
1.87%
25-30 years old (yes) (25)
5.2%