The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Politics

Hi, I'm looking to change my degree from Journalism to Politics but haven't quite decided yet, if anyone doing Politics at University of Leeds could give me some info on the course e.g. the modules, assignments and contact hours that would be great :smile: Also are the people on the course generally friendly/involved in socials? My current course doesn't seem the most social.
Hi, I do a different course at the uni but have done a module and have friends who study it :smile:

I really enjoyed the module I did in first year (Power and Conflict)! It involved a lot of discussion and case studies. I don't know if you know about the module catalogue? Google 'University of Leeds module catalogue', search under the School of Politics and all the modules will come up, with information about assessments, contact hours, module content, etc - v useful! I do think Politics tends to have few contact hours - my friend had 5 last year, and I don't know much about the social side of things. I do know that a lot of seminars are held in the Social Sciences building, so I think it may be a smaller department?

Are you a current student or applying for university? Because it will definitely be too late to change courses now if you are a current student - they usually only let you change within the first two weeks of the semester.

Sorry that I couldn't help you more, but I hope this helps somewhat!

*edit* after rereading the part in your course about your current course, I assume you are a current student - I got an email from the School of Politics last Friday to say that they were not allowing any more module changes, so I highly doubt you'll be allowed to change course, as there will be too much to catch up on and module spaces will be full. However, it's definitely worth talking to someone about it - you could see your current course through for a year and decide next year whether to go into second year, or restart as a first year doing Politics? A lot of people do this!
(edited 4 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by sublimesm
Hi, I'm looking to change my degree from Journalism to Politics but haven't quite decided yet, if anyone doing Politics at University of Leeds could give me some info on the course e.g. the modules, assignments and contact hours that would be great :smile: Also are the people on the course generally friendly/involved in socials? My current course doesn't seem the most social.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by they're not social? I'm applying this year and one of my options was studying Journalism at Leeds. Could you tell me a bit about the course, is it boring? What are the people on the course like?
Reply 3
Original post by fairypixie
Could you elaborate on what you mean by they're not social? I'm applying this year and one of my options was studying Journalism at Leeds. Could you tell me a bit about the course, is it boring? What are the people on the course like?

The course itself is really good, like it's definitely very professional, I guess it's just not for me; you have to be ready to step very out of your comfort zone in doing things like interviewing people on the street and it's very self-sufficient. It has very low contact hours and is a lot less intense than other subjects. By not social i mean because it's a small course it doesn't have it's own society or anything, you can still make friends it just isn't like other subjects who arrange socials all the time.
has anyone had an offer from Leeds Uni for Journalism yet?

Quick Reply

Latest