The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
on the top right hand side of each post is a grey flag with the word "Report". click it and report any violent comments using that flag.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I am assuming everyone in TSR are educated and are well versed with the adverse effect of cyberbullying. Yet some of them still do it?!. I wish there was a way to report a violent comments because you never who how old the victim is and his/her mental state

There are a few bad apples but most on here are quite supportive. Reporting offensive posts can help keep TSR a safer space.
I have met some really, really nice people on here. And then some really, really horrible people too. The key is to distance yourself, become detached to others' ****. Honestly. Anyone young or sensitive on this site reading my comment, ignore the bullies on here (and in life in general). You get nothing out of engaging with people who argue about the most pointless things online. They are probably bored out of their mind and need some validation. Think of what these cyberbullies post as random computer-generated content. Ignore it. Anyone with a little bit of decency would not go out of their way to make another miserable.
Reply 4
Original post by errrr99
on the top right hand side of each post is a grey flag with the word "Report". click it and report any violent comments using that flag.

aha i just noticed, thanks
Please report rule breaking content, as ecolier says the VT etc do try to keep eyes peeled but it's hard to be everywhere especially as we are Volunteers! By reporting it you are alerting the paid admins to it and it can get sorted out. If there is one user specifically targeting you constantly you can raise it in a forum called ask the community staff and they will look into it for you :smile:
I get bullied several times a day sometimes.

I try to get immune to it
I am assuming everyone in TSR are educated and are well versed with the adverse effect of cyberbullying. Yet some of them still do it?!. I wish there was a way to report a violent comments because you never who how old the victim is and his/her mental state

I was pm'd last week by someone posing as a 4th year Oxford medical student (caught them out). They then went on to ask me my real age and my real name. When I joked that my real name was Oxford Mum, they said "so it's going to be like that, is it?

I never heard from them again.

Then there was somebody who said they were a Cambridge medical student, and asked for my younger son's email address. I did direct them towards ecolier's neurology thread and Sitran, but they didn't want to know, they just wanted to talk to M. Despite the fact that there must be many more qualified people they can talk to at Cambridge.

Report comments that you think are inappropriate by using the 'Report function'. The CT can't keep track of everything themselves on such a large site, so they rely on users to report content.

To be fair, I think I'd swap 'social media platforms' for 'TSR' in your thread title. From what I've seen, I wouldn't say TSR had too bad a problem with stuff like this, compared to other online fora. It's not perfect, but nothing is in reality.
If you see it, then report it. The only way it can really be stopped is if it's brought to the mods attention, it's not like they can be around literally all of the time.

I have noticed though that some people tend to be quite soft on here, some people just have that blunt demeanour and that's been construed as "cyberbullying" rather than a characteristic.
are well versed with the adverse effect of cyberbullying. Yet some of them still do it?!

answer is simple. they want the person to endure the adverse effects.
Original post by _gcx
answer is simple. they want the person to endure the adverse effects.

Yes
Because people like to degrade/humiliate others. Although it is not acceptable. Plus there is an advantage of being anonymous on here so it increases the risk of being able to bully even more. The best thing is to ignore any violent comments or threats. The internet is just a virtual platform.
It’s amazing how political things can get, as well
Original post by Oxford Mum

What do you mean political, OM?
Because I'm vegan.

The nature of discussions featuring religion, politics, abortion and meerkats. :biggrin:
It's the meerkats that really get my goat (no pun intended).
Bite me, leave my nose with chew marks and everybody else seems to think they are sweet little darling celebrities of the "compare the market" adverts.:mad:
Bah humbug! :tongue:
Original post by harrysbar
What do you mean political, OM?

Things aren't always straightforward.
That's the nature of the digital world- lots of users, cloak of anonymity and limited law enforcement presence.
Trolls, bullies and criminals have established a constant presence on social media.
TSR has more effective moderation than most other websites and the bad apples tend to get banned very quickly.

Facebook, twitter, instagram, youtube, yahoo and reddit are filled with cyberbullies.
The situation on a lot of gaming sites is much worse and 4chan is an open horror show.
Things aren't always straightforward.

I think I know what you mean ....alliances are formed on TSR which can be a good thing but not where it means bad behaviour is tolerated more than it would be from an unpopular/new member.

Latest