UserStudent8787
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Which Access to HE course is better out of Access to humanities and Access to science, in terms of which would get me onto the better degrees? (I’m not 100% sure what I want to do at Uni, I just want to get in for next year so I can join at the same time as people my age because I dropped out of AS last year). I realise this question could be subjective so I just want your guys personal opinions.

Also, I only turned 18 last week, and even though the college have told me that it’s fine and universities will accept me, I’m not convinced because I’ve heard access courses are more for older students who have been out of education for a while. Do you guys think I’ll be alright? Thanks for any help in advance. 🙂
Oxmaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by UserStudent8787)
Which Access to HE course is better out of Access to humanities and Access to science, in terms of which would get me onto the better degrees? (I’m not 100% sure what I want to do at Uni, I just want to get in for next year so I can join at the same time as people my age because I dropped out of AS last year). I realise this question could be subjective so I just want your guys personal opinions.

Also, I only turned 18 last week, and even though the college have told me that it’s fine and universities will accept me, I’m not convinced because I’ve heard access courses are more for older students who have been out of education for a while. Do you guys think I’ll be alright? Thanks for any help in advance. 🙂
Hey!
You're asking a very good question. The best thing you can ever do is speak to universities directly if you want to be sure that the course you're doing is going to be accepted.
As far as I have heard, access is for people who have been out of education for at least 3 years.

You may be told to go to a college and take A levels. But If they allow you on access course then brilliant.

Other thing to consider is university with a foundation year. This adds an extra year ( year 0) to your degree as university will prepare you for the course. However, again you need to check this with the University you wanna go to.

Attend open days. Speak to the students of your local university. Maybe even join some societies. Ask from real students what they think about their course what they like and don't like.

Once you know what subject you are interested in, go for it! You're young and your brain is like a sponge it will absorb information and is easily Trained. So even if you change your path after you go to uni or even after you graduate its fine. At least you learn transferable skills and a degree will act as a bridge for you.
Keep in mind apart from medicine you won't get funding for your second degree.

Once you know your course contact universities and ask them about foundation year, access, A level, etc.

Hope that helps.

Plus, live in your time. Don't look at others and what stage they are at.

Best wishes

Hanif
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
19.27%
Labour (444)
42.37%
Liberal Democrats (204)
19.47%
Green Party (54)
5.15%
Brexit Party (28)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.95%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)