Geography A-Level Watch

koolkid92
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Can anyone give me info about Geography for A-Levels. I am really considering taking the subject next year but still quite unsure. Anyone who is doing the subject with Edexcel will be a great help
<3 Caterpillar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did with AQA and was unsure about taking it myself.. but ive really enjoyed it and its been my favourite subject!
Its pretty well respected by universities aswell.
Im really gald i did pick it.
I dont know how much help i can be with it being edexcel but if you do have any questions fire away.
What sort of info are you looking for?
koolkid92
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by <3 Caterpillar)
I did with AQA and was unsure about taking it myself.. but ive really enjoyed it and its been my favourite subject!
Im really gald i did pick it.
I dont know how much help i can be with it being edexcel but if you do have any questions fire away.
What sort of info are you looking for?
cheers mate, I'm just wondering if it's really time consuming ie. coursework, if it's relatively hard . Also, does it go well with Economics and Maths?
Robbie10538
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing geography next year aswell (edexcel)

we don't have 'coursework' anymore but its been replaced by this 'fieldwork' section

EDIT- Sorry I'm talking nonsence; in AS we dont have coureswork but in A2 we do
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by koolkid92)
Can anyone give me info about Geography for A-Levels. I am really considering taking the subject next year but still quite unsure. Anyone who is doing the subject with Edexcel will be a great help
I've just started the A2 with Edexcel. We do have coursework, but you get a really wide variety of titles and you pick one and do a report on it. For example the one I chose is something like "Are we making progress in the battle agianst AIDs" and I'm finding it quite interesting doing the research.
There is a hazards exam, we're taking it in Jan for some reason at our school. It's earthquakes and volcanoes so far, which isn't so bad. There is also an exam on Development and Disparity... stuff about the North/South divide of rich and poor countries, MEDC LEDC stuff (again) etc.
There is more too it but I can't remember what's to come
Hope that helps! It doesn't seem nearly as bad as AS, I hated AS :p:
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Robbie10538)
I'm doing geography next year aswell (edexcel)

we don't have 'coursework' anymore but its been replaced by this 'fieldwork' section
Hmm we were told coursework, I've picked my title! And I see you're from Bromley. I'm down the road in Bexley :p: Townley Grammar if you know it!
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Economics, Maths and Geography... yes! It goes so well with economics, trust me. We've just been doing stuff about development, the EU etc. and she keeps saying "this is easy if you do economics"!
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I done Geography B with Edexcel

The first year was pretty easy and straight forward and probably one of the easier AS's and 1/3 rd of the AS was coursework - which isnt too hard to do well in as you have more than enough time.

The second year A2 however is far more difficult and makes up for the easygoing days in AS, its a lot more structured and essay writing - again however 1/3 of A2 is coursework and you have more than enough time to do it so that is not a problem.

All in all AS is fairly easy and you can glide through that as its just memory work and some stuff overlaps from GCSE where as A2 is a lot harder relative to AS and does require you to know what your on about although as it is extended writing etc it does allow you to blag a lot of ideas especially with regards to agriculture, migration and LEDC's as much of the stuff is either common sense or is in the news always.

However this is in my own personal opinion and that of my class mates as far as I know but it could differ with other courses/boards.
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found it bloody time consuming compared to my other subjects. It is interesting, and not all that difficult, but its very time consuming compared to sciences and maths.

I would expect if you were to compare time spent with other arts subjects like English & History it is not too bad. But compared to science and math the work load is much greater.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't find AS easy at all! But then I'm judging it on the exam, our exam this year was really difficult and asked horrible obscure questions. If you have a good memory for case studies, then sure, easy peasy
Yasmin2K8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmmm I dont know it was pretty easy in terms of the syllabus and what you had to know, I wasnt just referring to the exam but yeah you might have had a tough one. Just a case of remembering the case studies or using your initiative and making one up - following current affairs helps a lot on my opinion.

We use to always get grief off our mates due to doing Geography so take what you want from that lol
Robbie10538
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think our year Y11-Y12 at present are starting the new A level syllabus. I.e. the people strating AS this september.

http://www.edexcel.com/gce2008/geogr.../Pages/as.aspx

there are quite a lot of people in the brom/bex area on here Sorry I havn't heard of that school
jofebaqua10
Report 10 years ago
Hey,
I did A level Geography this year, Edexcel A. The best advice is to get the Philip Allan Advanced Geography text book. It's perfect for both Edexcel A and B:

http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content...ROD529:&SUB=10

There are books which are more specific, like one on ecosystems, periglaciation. It's all on this website:

http://www.philipallan.co.uk/content.aspx?Page=SUB10:

Also, look at past papers, there is a trend, so you can predict what will come up. Sometimes the examiners use previous questions, they did that this year.

It's not a time consuming subject, just get your notes sorted out and revise.

There are more tips from the geology discussion boards. Good luck!
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by <3 Caterpillar)
is it really? i have heard the opposite....

and how interesting is it? Some people that i have spoken to said that it is really tedious and you just have to learn loads of stupid details? (especially physical i think)

i think i will still take it though.
Robbie10538
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've always had the impression that geography is very well respected but then again, that impression was probably picked up from these boards, so we might all be wrong!
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It always has been well respected by universities. Granted, it is not the hardest A-level but it is not exactly included in the top universities blacklist. It is on the same level as History A-level which is quite respected so Geography must be as well.

I also would recommend it, after getting a B at GCSE, I was quite unsure if I should take it at A-level. But I enjoyed it massively at Alevel and came out with an A. It is not that time-consuming. My teacher never gave out a single piece of homework in the 2 years I had him for, except for coursework. The coursework is quite time-consuming. Needs up to 4 months to do it properly.
UltimateJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The specifications are changing over next year so its a little bit hard to say what it will be like.

But what I will say is, its a subject which combines well with any A-levels really, from chemistry to languages to social sciences. It isn't too hard; there is nothing difficult to understand, but the volume of information you need to know for exams is quite high, and the coursework (for me anyway) was tedious and time consuming.

Overall, I would say take it.
Mutiny!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've done my AS Geography (Edexcel A) and there was a lot of learning but the exams were quite nice. I believe there is a choice between coursework and a skills exam paper (40% of AS level) and we did the skills paper, which i found to be my strongest. A2 looks like huge amounts of essays that once again, in my sixth form, we are doing completely in exams. The course was nice at AS and seems to feel more relevant at A2 but more work at the same time. I'd recommend it, but as others said, take a look at the course changes if they apply. I found in my AS year at least that it worked very well alongside Economics for obvious reasons and Chemistry helped me to understand certain aspects of Geography (weathering etc) much better. It's good like that :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads