The Student Room Group

Should I leave University?

My current situation:

- 20 years old

- Shift Management Position at a fast food company earning £8.50 with opportunities for progression (Store manager position roughly 32k a year)

- 2nd year of University, so 3 more years of a degree, a further year for a teaching degree then 6/7 years after until I’m earning the max a teacher can make (36k a year currently)

- Not enjoying University life, in a bit of debt issues which should be cleared up by the end of the year

- Studying to become a Teacher

So I like to think of myself as smart, I do enjoy learning about History and staying up-to date with global issues and news, but apart from that I despise education. I have hated it since high school and couldn’t wait to leave, I’m now on course to spend around 11 years of my life attempting to earn 36k a year. My main goal in life is to make money, I don’t like not earning enough but I also don’t really enjoy education. My main issue is I’m scared to drop out for a “fast-food job” but at the same time, I don’t want to stay? My friend has recently got a store manager position at my age, and I’m just wondering is education really what I want? I feel like I’d waste 11 years just to earn a very similar wage to what I could potentially earn in 5/6? I also don’t want to be a teacher I’m only here because I’ve been pressured to really. But in the past year what I’ve really wanted to do is travel, experience new things and focusing on enjoying myself rather than working away, stressing about deadlines and getting myself in a horrible situation? Just wanting to see some opinions. What should I do?
Reply 1
Why are you considering teaching? Surely there are loads of other things you could do?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Why are you considering teaching? Surely there are loads of other things you could do?

I’m considering Teaching because the only thing in school that I liked was History and it’s the basic career choice, I haven’t seen any great job opportunities involving the degree at all. I’d like to learn about it and maybe teach it, but I’m only doing it for the above average wage honestly.
Reply 3
There are loads of possibilities. Civil service? Local government? Perhaps work as a stores manager then move into HR later if that interests. You won’t see many jobs ads for historians but you will see jobs which require the skills.

Quick Reply

Latest