Akuaama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
7. The following are all lists of successive ionisation energies for different elements. In each case, decide which group of the Periodic Table the element is to be found in.
Explain your answer

i) 799 2420 3660 25000 32800
ii) 736 1450 7740 10500 13600 18000 21700 25600
iii) 1000 2260 3390 4540 6990 8490 27100 31700
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i) Must be in Group 3 - because there is a large increase between the third and fourth ionisation energy
ii) Must be in Group 2 - because there is a large increase between the second and third ionisation energy
iii) Must be in Group 6 - because there is a large increase between the sixth and seventh ionisation energy

A large increase indicates that there has been a significant change in the factors that affect ionisation energy: distance from the nucleus, shielding and nuclear charge. Shielding and nuclear charge change relatively consistently, resulting in the slow rise of ionisation energy. The distance from the nucleus will suddenly increase when an electron from an initially inner shell starts being removed. This only happens when all the electron in the outer shell have been removed. So before the increase is the number of electrons in the outer shell, thus telling us the group of the element.
Akuaama
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much you have been really helpful. I do appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.93%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.53%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.3%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.79%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise