The Student Room Group

Extinction Rebellion Get Beaten Up on underground

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnot
This is just wrong have you been and read any of the climate summaries or actions taken since the end of the 80s?
As i have already highlighted in this thread the 1990 one is particularly worthwhile reading.

They've done some things but not nearly enough. If they were really serious about climate change they wouldn't be building a new runway at Heathrow or exploring fracking. And even if the UK is doing some stuff other nations aren't.
Original post by Just my opinion
Nailed it.

Did he? Its all very well saying protesters should do something themselves but really climate change is a governmental issue. Its up to them to legislate laws and provide funding for scientific research. If they're not doing that then the only way to make them do it is by protesting.
Original post by AJ126y
If they're not doing that then the only way to make them do it is by protesting.

Well, no. The way to do it is to put up parliamentary candidates who you believe will.
Original post by Good bloke
It is the protesters' fault that they are making impossible demands.

Those demands are only impossible because until now nobody has done anything much. I fail to understand what exactly you want them to do? Stick their heads in the sand until the problem magically goes away?
Well, no. The way to do it is to put up parliamentary candidates who you believe will.

And what if there aren't any? Are we just supposed to put up with an environmental disaster until we magically get a candidate who cares about it? And then even more unlikely actually get into government?
I don't get this. Surely they want more people to use the tube? Why are they attacking their beloved public transport?
Original post by AJ126y
And what if there aren't any?

You create one. Obviously. This will demonstrate you are an organised and credible lobby and not a bunch of low-level terrorists (which is what you appear to be at the moment).
Original post by Uori32qu
I don't get this. Surely they want more people to use the tube? Why are they attacking their beloved public transport?

They have yet to demonstrate a connection between themselves and clear thinking.
That woman sitting on the floor talking made me feel sick. "I would rather do anything else" - then do something else
These protestors are so pathetic. They are literally all middle class white people with part time jobs/no jobs and they just want to protest as a way of getting more interest in their boring lives...
and for once I agree with a Muslim!
You create one. Obviously. This will demonstrate you are an organised and credible lobby and not a bunch of low-level terrorists (which is what you appear to be at the moment).

We have a first past the post system. Not just anybody can get in. Only tories or Labour can get in to govern neither of which actually care.You clearly have a much greater faith in democracy than me which is naive considering we've just had three years of MP's squabbling like little children over Brexit. And they still haven't done it.

I don't think you truly understand the scale and urgency of the situation. If you knew an asteroid was going to hit the earth in the next 20 years would you form a group which might elect a candidate who will possibly get into government who might eventually be inclined to do something about it?
Original post by AJ126y
We have a first past the post system. Not just anybody can get in. Only tories or Labour can get in to govern neither of which actually care.You clearly have a much greater faith in democracy than me which is naive considering we've just had three years of MP's squabbling like little children over Brexit. And they still haven't done it.

You do not have much confidence in your ability to convince people of your arguments, and this is reflected in your predisposition to violent and disruptive protest. This completely nullifies your argument.
Original post by AJ126y
They've done some things but not nearly enough. If they were really serious about climate change they wouldn't be building a new runway at Heathrow or exploring fracking. And even if the UK is doing some stuff other nations aren't.

Which specific forms of fracking are you against the word is banded about but fracking can mean lots of different extraction? and coupled with CCS and SMR can end up being carbon neutral.

Heathrow runways isnt exactly a government policy, its run & operated by industry, I believe the new runway is more of an organisation/logistics exercise anyway as current system is massively overcrowded.

Also if you compare heathrow to other major airports:
-Amsterdam, Frankfurt, LAX, JFK, Shanghai, Dubai... These all have many many more runways, its actually more to do with organisation then climate change.

Also why are you focusing on aircraft emissions specifically? Transport will be required regardless, propulsion efficiency systems, and managing this is more effective.

Yes my point above the UK doesnt have the leverage over BRIC, mexico, USA so your only proving your own points redundant.
You do not have much confidence in your ability to convince people of your arguments, and this is reflected in your predisposition to violent and disruptive protest. This completely nullifies your argument.

Scientists have been saying the same thing for ages. There are hundreds of peer reviewed articles saying similar things. If they haven't listened to them then why would they listen to anybody else? People do know about it. The problem is they don't care. But they should.

As for violence and disruption........ Which is it? The Hong Kong protesters were violent. These protesters are gluing themselves to stuff and sitting down in the middle of the road. Disruptive certainly. Violent no. Terrorism? Get real.
Original post by AJ126y
Scientists have been saying the same thing for ages. There are hundreds of peer reviewed articles saying similar things. If they haven't listened to them then why would they listen to anybody else? People do know about it. The problem is they don't care. But they should.

As for violence and disruption........ Which is it? The Hong Kong protesters were violent. These protesters are gluing themselves to stuff and sitting down in the middle of the road. Disruptive certainly. Violent no. Terrorism? Get real.

What has the HK protest got to do with anything?
-They are protesting against an oppression and lack of democracy, something we have here in the UK

-Which journal articles are you referring to, most of them correlate more to efficiency and the 2030 , 2050 targets not lets all go mad and turn the grid off.

I work as a researcher as a scientist/engineer on systems for low carbon transport solutions and we would be ****ed if we listened to XR, we would have no budget for new equipment, no ways of testing or analysing new technology. Most people in research still think keeping carbon fuels is a good thing just optimising around it, go have a read in energy or any sae journal
Original post by mnot
What has the HK protest got to do with anything?
-They are protesting against an oppression and lack of democracy, something we have here in the UK

-Which journal articles are you referring to, most of them correlate more to efficiency and the 2030 , 2050 targets not lets all go mad and turn the grid off.

I work as a researcher as a scientist/engineer on systems for low carbon transport solutions and we would be ****ed if we listened to XR, we would have no budget for new equipment, no ways of testing or analysing new technology. Most people in research still think keeping carbon fuels is a good thing just optimising around it, go have a read in energy or any sae journal

He was saying the protests are violent. I'm saying they're not.People shouldn't make things up. They clearly aren't violent. Neither are they terrorists.

Did I say we should turn the grid off? I don't think anybody is advocating for that. We should switch to renewables and nuclear. The large part of it nuclear. I think we should use alternative technologies not stop using them altogether. I recently read about a ship powered entirely by sea water and hydrogen. That's what we need more of.

But it has to actually be done. Instead of just empty promises.2050 is conviniently far away. I'm sure when we get to 2030 it will probably end up as 2100.Its all very well promising stuff but unless you actually follow through it means nothing. That's why protesters want 2025.Its a real tangible goal. Even if we don't achieve it which we won't, it's still much better than 2050 which is distant and remote. So distant in fact that it's very easily ignored. Its better to set a date soon rather than one which will just keep getting delayed and delayed until it doesn't actually happen at all.
Original post by AJ126y
He was saying the protests are violent. I'm saying they're not.

Yes they are, as soon as they don't get their way. Look what happened here in the first few seconds of this video. The protester is on the train roof and the commuters, fed up of the disruption wentt up to get him down so that they could continue their legitimate and reasonable journeys. The very first act of violence was perpetrated by the protester who kicked a commuter to keep him away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=lIkYm24u8ws

This clearly demonstrates the protester's violence.
Targeting public transport loses any sympathy they might have. No protests from them outside petrol stations, refineries, or car factories making Chelsea Tractors, or even other major sources of CO2 and greenhouse gases.
Original post by AJ126y
He was saying the protests are violent. I'm saying they're not.People shouldn't make things up. They clearly aren't violent. Neither are they terrorists.

Did I say we should turn the grid off? I don't think anybody is advocating for that. We should switch to renewables and nuclear. The large part of it nuclear. I think we should use alternative technologies not stop using them altogether. I recently read about a ship powered entirely by sea water and hydrogen. That's what we need more of.

But it has to actually be done. Instead of just empty promises.2050 is conviniently far away. I'm sure when we get to 2030 it will probably end up as 2100.Its all very well promising stuff but unless you actually follow through it means nothing. That's why protesters want 2025.Its a real tangible goal. Even if we don't achieve it which we won't, it's still much better than 2050 which is distant and remote. So distant in fact that it's very easily ignored. Its better to set a date soon rather than one which will just keep getting delayed and delayed until it doesn't actually happen at all.

If we switched only to renewables and nuclear you would be effectively turning the grid off, why not use the smr ccs solution? isnt that a much more sensible path...

2050 was set as the UKs target in 1990 for 80% reduction in carbon emission then in 2016 as the year to be carbon neutral (again still use carbon fuels but with technology to make the UKs net output 0). It was also reiteraturated at the Paris accord in the UNs agenda (which immediately afterwards the UK set a law mandating we stick to the UN glide path at worst preventing +1.5degrees C further rise in AGT). SO yes 2050 is far off but has been part of the UK plan for 30 years and the UN analysts obviously agreed. So if its conveniently far off why didnt you complain to the UN or where were all these people in 1990? 2025 is not possible just a stupid suggestion and highlights peoples ignorance.

As for just powering stuff with hydrogen, well its not easy to do that it has a very low energy density so needs to be condensed or stored via a carrier, also requires on board manufacturing normally via electrolysis which by definition uses electrical power so isn't conveniently 'green'. hydrogen is looked at in things such as haji, but that also requires another fuel such as petroleum (but is much more efficient and is an active area, but im sure the mention of another fuel is probably over the line for XR anyway)
Rush hour.
Having to deal with packed tube trains in rush hour requires a certain level of ruthlessness. They’re lucky they weren’t torn limb from limb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending