Insurance with doors? Watch

HCooper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, just woundering i know that insurance is reli exspensive for young drivers depending on the engine but i was thinking whats the difference in price between a 1.3 3 door and a 1.3 5 door? is it alot cos i reli wud like a 5 door instead of a 3 door. thanks
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would be highly surprised if it was any different.
It's more so they can collect details of the car I suspect.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why don't you just stick both into a comparison site?
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Up to which insurer...they all have different rules and so on...same way one company would say a 106GTI is medium insurance a different one would say its 5 grand lol..
Bavarian Motor Works
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just quote both :confused:
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think number of seats makes a difference, but I doubt number of doors does.
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
neither tend to make a diff I found; I suppose they can just use it as a bit more verification on weather or not the car has been modded?

which makes an interesting point.. if you've stated there is only 1 seat, which hasnt been flagged up, yet you've said 'no modificiations' I wounder if it could be argued that you havent 'not told them'..
Friggerpants
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's easier to replace two side doors rather than 1 side door and the panel where the other rear door would go.
jaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Friggerpants)
It's easier to replace two side doors rather than 1 side door and the panel where the other rear door would go.
but that said, chances are if you've done that much damage, you'll be replacing rear quarters anyway, and labour aside, full doors - mechs, glass, speakers etc etc can cost substantially more than panels in cases. its all swings and roundabouts.
Jonathan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with JC - it's just a detail about your specific car. The registration number, for instance, doesn't change the premium, but they still want to know what it is.

The effect your choice of car has on your premium is loosely based on its ABI insurance group, which is out of 20 or 50 depending on the system they're using.

Instead of using the ABI group, some insurers have their own system and own opinion about each particular car, but their rating will no doubt resemble the ABI one.

Certainly on the ABI database, the number of doors does not affect the insurance group.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads