Transfers Watch

spacecowboy_89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Supposing I didn't enjoy my first year at Royal Holloway but finished it anyway, would I be able to transfer to another University within the University of London for the same subject (Psychology)? By that, I mean would I be able to transfer straight into the second year of another UoL university (i.e. UCL) after having done the first year at Royal Holloway?

Very doubt I will be transferring, I'm just asking so I can know what to expect if I were to get in such a situation.
Jasutasu
Report 10 years ago
I have the same question too, after i have checked Times univeristy ratings, which told me that Royal Holloway went down by 6 places to 30..
The Times Good University Guide ranking (last year): 30 (24)
I'm going to study economics and thinking about going to other subdivision of University of London, such as LSE or UCL after first year, because i'm dreaming about getting to Investment banks.
Thanks in advance
TSRreader
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have never heard of RHUL transfer into LSE for economics. I think the London External Program is the only program in economcs, belonging to University of London, that offers transfer to LSE. This is because LSE designs and moderates the economic program offered in LEP. Jasutasu, if you are really interested in to transfer to LSE, you should take a look at LEP. LEP is distant studying so you can take both LEP and RHUL programs concurrently.

spacecowboy_89, I think you need to contact UCL directly instead of posting it here. Transfer is definitely not standardised but viewed case by case.

University of London is definitely not like other collegiate university (Durham and Oxbridge) as UoL's standards are different within each college.
Aritheory
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I have the same question too, after i have checked Times univeristy ratings, which told me that Royal Holloway went down by 6 places to 30..
People actually pay attention to these things? And 30th isn't exactly bad. In the last independent table, RHUL was 12th. Who do you think is right?
Jasutasu
Report 10 years ago
Personally i care about these ratings and i also believe that investment banks and other banks also pay attention to this. And some students have made a research for chance to get into first interview in IB... Sadly, RHUL was only 19th. and i believe that there is some true
Dead1nside
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jasutasu)
The Times Good University Guide ranking (last year): 30 (24)
I'm going to study economics and thinking about going to other subdivision of University of London, such as LSE or UCL after first year, because i'm dreaming about getting to Investment banks.
Thanks in advance
Wow that's superficial of you. You're transfering because RHUL went down in the ranks... Jesus, did you change secondary schools every time it moved up and down too?

Be serious. Go to university for your course. Of course LSE and UCL are more prestigious than RHUL especially in that field. But if you knew that... why didn't you apply there?!
Dead1nside
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Aritheory)
People actually pay attention to these things? And 30th isn't exactly bad. In the last independent table, RHUL was 12th. Who do you think is right?
People forever obsessed with tables. RHUL was 12th in the Times' Good University Guide when I was looking at it a few years ago. Any judgement of a university should be made up by both the university's reputation, the course's reputation and the student's record. If you went to Oxbridge and dropped out - you'd still be a drop out from Oxbridge and less likely, in my opinion, to get a job compared to someone from a less well thought of university with a First Class Honours degree and relevant work experience.
Ygraine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I looked into transferring to UCL at the end of the first year after all the second year options were changed, essentially removing the reasons I'd gone to Royal Holloway in the first year. I seem to remember their website saying that they only allow people to transfer in the first term, which would presumably mean that you'd have to re-take the first year. This may be subject-specific/ot of date information though, so it's always worth calling the universities in which you're interested and asking them
Dead1nside
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If there's been mahor course changes, that's a different matter. If it's for prestige, well you've seen my rather heated comments.

On a more measured note, there's been talk in other threads of all sorts of people transferring to different universities. The specifics of transferring within the University of London I do not know. It is definitely possible to transfer but depending on how comparable the courses were, you might have to go back to first year or may be granted access into second/third year.
Ygraine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Considering I turned down number 6 to go to number 25 (2004 tables), league tables have never been of particular concern to me :P

That said, I'm glad I ended up staying in the end. Things have worked out for the best in spite of themselves. Do bear in mind that it's possible to transfer and find that you were happier (and therefore likely to perform better) in your previous university. The grass is alwas greener, as they say
gnome
Report 10 years ago
i tried to transfer but i really depends on the university AND the department.
some depts wont let you!
even if the uni will
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise