Revised withdrawal agreement published Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The EU and the British government are advertising this as the new Deal for going forwards into the detailed trade negotiations.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...rn_ireland.pdf

It appears to be a 'protocol' and I'm not certain what legal standing that has as it isn't yet (perhaps it will be, if approved) a Treaty.

64 pages of legalese - the first one to understand it gets a banana. :teehee:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Reading Barnier's comments in his TV coverage right now, it would seem that the deal is some kind of mutual fudge - the EU will basically overlook the fact that UK goods can flow into NI and then into the EU without proper checking. There won't be any borders and there will be a 'Joint Committee' that oversees the chaos.

It sounds implausible!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
64 pages of legalese - the first one to understand it gets a banana. :teehee:
Only if it's a bendy one...
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Now the remainers will backtrack and say no deal can be carried forth without a confirmarty referendum.

As opposed to their previous position that we can't leave without a deal. Because they didn't believe a deal was possible.

The problem with this approach is that it will be remainers who will be seen as the barrier to all this being resolved.

That being said the argument to give parliament enough time to scrutinize it is a strong one. However all the nations of the EU appear to agree with it and they have had a similar amount of time.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
It's looking as though Northern Ireland might be able to adopt Irish VAT rates and avoid UK VAT rates. That sounds bizarre in actual operation. UK companies might have a choice.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Only if it's a bendy one...
:rofl:

They only do straight-down-the-line uncompromisingly regular and completely non-bent ones in Northern Ireland.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam277)
Now the remainers will backtrack and say no deal can be carried forth without a confirmarty referendum.

As opposed to their previous position that we can't leave without a deal. Because they didn't believe a deal was possible.

The problem with this approach is that it will be remainers who will be seen as the barrier to all this being resolved.

That being said the argument to give parliament enough time to scrutinize it is a strong one. However all the nations of the EU appear to agree with it and they have had a similar amount of time.
Note that Boris's position is Parliament have had loads of time on this already. But they haven't, because this is a new document.
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Note that Boris's position is Parliament have had loads of time on this already. But they haven't, because this is a new document.
I agree, it's just a shame that for many MPs they will just frustrate the process until they get brexit canceled.
There isn't even an appetite for another referendum.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
I agree, it's just a shame that for many MPs they will just frustrate the process until they get brexit canceled.
On Saturday, the largest march possibly in the last century, in favour of another referendum, is going to take place. There's hardly 'no appetite'.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Corbyn now says he is after all going to back a second referendum on this deal-vs-remain.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Most pro-Remain commentators saying that Boris only has ERG support for this because they plan to renege on the terms of the deal once it's passed through.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
SNP predictably saying they should have the same right for Scotland to stay in harmony with the EU post-Brexit as NI theoretically does in this deal, albeit under a 'Joint Commission'.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Boris the plumber has stuck his arm down the U bend and removed the huge stinking blockage at last.

:congrats:
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
EU and UK say they have Brexit deal – POLITICO: https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-a...e-brexit-deal/
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a shame parliamentarians have not supported the process, instead of making it more difficult.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
Boris the plumber has stuck his arm down the U bend and removed the huge stinking blockage at last.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't bank on it.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is a strange view given that the most vocal and recalcitrant opposition to the various deals have come from the DUP and hardcore Brexiter MPs within the Conservative party.

Although I’m aware the narrative of blaming Remainers for the failure to deliver Brexit to date is entrenched in the minds of leave supporters.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)

That's not a nice way to talk about Arlene... And by the sounds of it, she's still firmly wedged in there.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My 32 county sense is tingling
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
My 32 county sense is tingling
The Force is strong with you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads