How do people generally find the workload in First Year? Watch

layercake
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I know it must definitely vary between subjects but how do people generally find the workload in first year for science subjects eg. Biochemistry?

Do you find that there's a lot of free time in first year as the workload isn't that much or is it a big jump from school?
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not really expecting any free time when I apply for dentistry this year
urethrar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so (if possible), how many A-Levels (or Advanced Highers) could you equate the 1st yr workload to??
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd probably say that it might be around the equivalent of around 3/4 AHs?
urethrar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
3/4 A-Levels! I was expecting it to be easier. I always had the impression that most uni's like to 'ease you into it' so first year is easier.

Has anyone done a medical/biological science degree at a Scottish uni as I have a feeling first year is easier in Scottish unis as the BSc is 4 years and I hear 1st year is basically AH level. Is this correct?
Enchanté
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing nursing first year.
We like have 3 modules each yeah, and for each one it usually conisists of 2 assignments, placement work, and sometimes an exam. It doesn't sound like that much work but it is:p:
I'm currently in the 3rd module at them moment, and have to complete my placement for this one, have had two exams (1) left and and assingment.:p:
Kolobok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Just wait till the second year where the workload doubles, and doubles again for the third year :p:
So survival isn't part of the deal?
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For politics, I'll have to attend seminars, lectures (maybe?) but I'm told my working time will be set around reading books/journals. Which I don't mind, I love reading!
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It varies from person to person. I found my first year okay. The workload is higher than for A-levels; that is to be expected with pretty much every subject. For example, you are normally required to prepare for each seminar/tutorial in advance. That means reading the relevant material, thinking about what discussions could be raised and any queries you might have. Many of my friends did not do the necessary preparation work and thus were often sat there with a look of confusion on their faces.

First year though is about getting to know your course and finding your feet. Therefore expectations are usually not as high as in the second and third years. Conversely, don't think that you will be able to do nothing and get a good mark.
Lacks Organisation
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing pharmacology and the work load for my first year was about the same as A-levels I'd reckon. To be honest I spent most of my time messing around and doing things I shouldn't so I was a bit of a mess when it came to getting work done, which means that I'm not sure exactly what we had to do. Some people on my course work REALLY hard, so if you want to get your head down and get some stuff learnt there's definitely the opportunity to, but you might also be able to get away with being a bit of a bum if you're happy with just scraping through to 2nd year.
Biochem ey? One of the modules I did was biochem and I found that module to be one of the easiest of mine, mostly due to the way in which it was assessed-multiple choice questions?, yes please. You'll be fine.
You are expected to have read up on topics before tutorials, but you don't actually HAVE to. I didn't even know what any of mine were about until after I'd attended them. It IS important that you attend the tutorials (aswell as practicals) however, even if you're hungover or still on it or whatever. Just make sure you get everything done that is assessed, even if you have no idea what you're doing; otherwise you'll be "incomplete" and fail. Don't worry, you'll get plenty of warning about that.
My best advice is to keep ticking over with the workload. As long as you aren't always leaving work while the last minute etc, you should be comfortable. Start as you mean to go on and don't let fresher's week turn into a year long mashup.
broughy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by urethrar)
3/4 A-Levels! I was expecting it to be easier. I always had the impression that most uni's like to 'ease you into it' so first year is easier.

Has anyone done a medical/biological science degree at a Scottish uni as I have a feeling first year is easier in Scottish unis as the BSc is 4 years and I hear 1st year is basically AH level. Is this correct?
sorry its not anything medical/biological, but i've just finished a physics degree at Strathclyde uni (so at least it gives you an idea of someone doing a science course!), & yes, first year for me was pretty much just advanced higher level, probably pretty much the equivalent of doing 2 or 3 advanced highers. we had maths & physics assignments every week which we handed in & were formally marked, a class test every few weeks, & formal lab reports due at the end of each semester alongside 2 or 3 exams
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Embarrassing
Jsuper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
work ...load?
Captain Biggles
Report 10 years ago
Although workload for a specific person on a specific course is a bit grey. I'd say first year university is, in general, more work of a higher level of difficulty than during your final A-level year. From what I've picked up on from students who have just finished 1st year, they say the work is different from secondary school and that's probably the biggest shock and what constitutes a large proportion of the workload as they have to adapt to a different style of learning.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The second year is so much worse, at least in my experience.
zusammen
Report 10 years ago
My A levl grades were CCC ( chem, bio, sociology) had offer for MPharm at sunderland in 2007, i've just finished 1st year. i can say for me, first semester was kinda tough, because im from london, and getting used to the city, took a while. and the halls i lived in was situated kinda far away from the main lecture hall, so its basically wake up at 7am, wait for school bus to take you there.

The one thing i recommend is, no matter what, do not go home, not once during your 1st semester, until xmas hols. After that, you're pretty much used to the uni life.

But sunderland is pretty bad at teaching pharmacy programme, because 1st year was heavily biased towards chem, but they do not teach you properly about the pharmaceutical calculations, such as complex assays, and %w/V. Also they used this crap equation called C1v1 = C2v2, instead of the traditional weight = RAM x mols

one question, how is kingston university's MChem degree? do you teach properly?
hanna mulla
Report 10 years ago
is it true pharmacy students have a larger workload than medics in the first term?
Danielle89
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hanna mulla)
is it true pharmacy students have a larger workload than medics in the first term?
I have heard this rumour and my guess is that our workloads are fairly similar. I failed one module of first year (got to resit it in august) but it was a second year module because here in scotland the course should really be 5 years (and used to be) but was compacted into 4 to compromise with the english system (I think) so I found first semester quite easy but second semester rather difficult. Didn't help that I didn't apply myself as much as I probably should have, I blame moving away from home and getting used to striking the balance between studying and going out. High hopes for next year with regards to this as I hear 2nd year pharmacy is the worst of the 4.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads