Timings for a three course meal Watch

Bassoonery
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello! My mother has put me in charge of dinner tonight in an attempt to domesticate me before uni. I really can't cook but I've bought the food, and thought up an incredibly easy three course meal (plus coffee and chocolates!) but I'm not sure about the timings for when I should prepare each course.

My main question is, is it okay to cook rice about half an hour before eating it? Could I reheat it in the microwave while we eat the starter (soup!)? If I wasn't having a starter I would obviously serve the main as soon as it was ready, but I can't really be cooking the main while we're eating the starter, can I?

I'm intending to use the microwave a lot tonight, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for reheating a main course to make it hot enough to eat.

Thank you!
artorscience?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Cook the rice whilst you are eating the starter. That gives you 15 minutes to eat the starter and rice doesn't need watching.
rangers_mad
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought it was bad to reheat rice?
Bassoonery
Rep:
?
^^ Well, that's really what I was asking...

(Original post by artorscience?)
Cook the rice whilst you are eating the starter. That gives you 15 minutes to eat the starter and rice doesn't need watching.
Ok thanks, I didn't realise rice doesn't need watching, that should work better.
Independant Woman 69
Report 10 years ago
just take your date out to mcdonalds like i do
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^ Maccy D's, 'innit?
artorscience?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bassoonery)
I didn't realise rice doesn't need watching, that should work better.
WEll you just bring to the boil and leave to simmer. And presumably your kitchen is close enough to where you are eating that if it boils over you'll hear and be able to run in and turn it down. (But leave it simmering on quite a low heat).
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bassoonery)
Hello! My mother has put me in charge of dinner tonight in an attempt to domesticate me before uni. I really can't cook but I've bought the food, and thought up an incredibly easy three course meal (plus coffee and chocolates!) but I'm not sure about the timings for when I should prepare each course.

My main question is, is it okay to cook rice about half an hour before eating it? Could I reheat it in the microwave while we eat the starter (soup!)? If I wasn't having a starter I would obviously serve the main as soon as it was ready, but I can't really be cooking the main while we're eating the starter, can I?

I'm intending to use the microwave a lot tonight, but I'm not sure how effective it would be for reheating a main course to make it hot enough to eat.

Thank you!
ooh what's your menu for tonight then? Also yeah you don't need to watch rice, just leave the pan lid open a wee bit to stop it boiling over.
Bassoonery
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sianeh)
ooh what's your menu for tonight then? Also yeah you don't need to watch rice, just leave the pan lid open a wee bit to stop it boiling over.
Well the menu is a little embarrassing really, and involves almost no actual cooking:

Fresh soup from Sainsbury's- choice of carrot and coriander or tomato and basil, microwave
Fresh crispy bread rolls from Sainsbury's (heat up in the oven?)

"Easy-cook" rice
Canned sweet and sour chicken (sounds horrid, but I'm curious as to how it will compare to the real thing, it's my favourite meal)
Salad from Sainsbury's

Apple Strudel, 45 mins from frozen
Ice cream (the lovely cornish stuff we already have in stock )

Instant Cappuccino-in-a-cup (again, a bit of a curious experiment!)
Lindt chocolates
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, reheating rice is definitely a dodgy business!

Might as well do the rice during the starter Set a timer in the kitchen if you have one, to make sure you don't forget about it!
Bennyboy65
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
easy:

Put the rice on and start heating the sweet and sour thingy in a pan, bring both to the boil and then turn down temp to simmer.

Put Soup in microwave, serve

When you've eaten the soup the main shud be dun? Then wen u're having main put the strudel in the oven!

DONE!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39.09%
No - but I will (22)
5.28%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed