The Student Room Group

Have your say: Detentions for eye-rolling defended by school behaviour tsar

Here's where you can post a comment about our Detentions for eye-rolling defended by school behaviour tsar article.

Read the full Detentions for eye-rolling defended by school behaviour tsar article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Scroll to see replies

Most seem perfectly fair, although I don't think eye rolling is on the same level as plagiarism.
Eye rolling is disrespectful to the teacher though and in context I can see why you would be punished.

I think in my school days I would have been caught for forgery....
wearing make-up?!
Its fair dos. I can imagine people being cautioned at work for showing such disrespect and if it continued you could lose your job.

Negative people can kill a working atmosphere and bring productivity crashing down.
Reply 4
One hour detention for “questioning authority”?

Great, so punishing kids for something they absolutely should be doing.

If no one ever questioned authority could you imagine the world we would live in?
Lol. Had this been in place in my 6th form I would have had about 75 hours worth of detentions.
Reply 6
Original post by Andrew97
Lol. Had this been in place in my 6th form I would have had about 75 hours worth of detentions.

What sixth form hands out detentions? That’s bizarre.
Original post by Mike172

mine does they also do this stupid folder check in my school where they check your folders and they have to be "well presented" as "your grades will suffer if they are not" if not, they email your parents and: DETENTION TIME!! yay (sarcasm) :colonhash: .Like you have to have notes and everything... but what if your a student who gets A's via watching videos on topics you don't understand and/or you like to use flashcards, revision guides, and ready-made notes what's the point in wasting your time writing out notes if they don't work for you and what difference would it make as to whether your folder is neat or not? :mad::confused::s-smilie: you would still probably get the same grade if anything not writing notes IMPROVES your grades as you're not wasting your precious time not learning or having fun outside of school by uselessly trying to keep up with it because that's what "the school wants".why do i get the impression that my school wants everyone to use the same revision techniques??
Original post by Mike172

Mine does
Original post by dyingstudent101
wearing make-up?!

tbh i agree with the fact that you shouldn't wear make-up to go to school, school is not a fashion runway (i think that year 7s and year 8s should not be allowed to wear make-up of any sort or come to school with a handbag (they should only be allowed to wear make-up if they have a medical condition)). Year 9s and above (this includes teachers) should be allowed to wear make-up so long as it is discreet and they are allowed to have a handbag as there school bag
Original post by Glaz
Mine does

Haha, who the **** would even turn up to a detention if given one? If my sixth form back in the day tried that on me I would tell them to piss off and go home. You’re not required to be there, unlike school.
Original post by Mike172
Haha, who the **** would even turn up to a detention if given one? If my sixth form back in the day tried that on me I would tell them to piss off and go home. You’re not required to be there, unlike school.

My sixth form is different :lol:
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
It makes sense for year 7s, but for anyone older it's ridiculous. The makeup and eye-rolling can make sense (if the school has lots of problems already and nothing is working). However, signed planners are ridiculous.

Lots of people's parents just simply don't have time to sign a planner every week- mine would just tell me to forge their signature or forget.

Also, if these are sixth formers being forced to get their parents to sign their planners, no wonder we have lots of Uni issues. How are we meant to become independent if the government supports parents signing our homework diaries every week until the age of 18?

honestly so true i been lied to several times as i am/was constantly being told "you have more freedom when it comes to school in sixth form" LIES: I feel like I had more freedom in secondary school than i do now:

1. they have a dress code in my school (you can't wear jeans, hoodies, trainers, joggers etc)
2. why do British schools care so much about things like "are your folders well presented" or "are you listening to what i am saying". in other countries and colleges they're like: "no one can make you learn something you don't want to learn", "don't revise?... ok then your punishment is that you will get a bad grade" or in America "if you don't want to put in the effort in school then don't". Seriously at this pointy it's just England's schools EGOS taking forefront here and they a busting their souls to be no.1 on the league table. Like ok i will suffer the consequences (getting a bad grade) for not having a a "neat folder"
3. I feel that in my sixth form i don't get to revise the way a want
4. Their telling me you are "representing the school" and you must "look after the younger year groups" like what?? i don't want people to look up me as i am useless. when i was year 7 i was basically given the impression that i had to get **** together and toughen the heck up... even worst was that our year groups were the 1st ever year 7s in the school (as my old school used to be an upper school before i joined there and left there i year 11)Submit reply
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Utterly ridiculous. How they can justify 2 hour detentions is beyond me.

I'm with another poster, questioning authority is something we should be encouraging teenagers to do (within reason)
(edited 4 years ago)
The school is clearly taking lessons from chairman Mao. Draconian and totalitarian.
Original post by Deyesy
Utterly ridiculous. How they can justify 2 hour detentions is beyond me.

I'm with another poster, questioning authority is something we should be encouraging teenagers to do (within reason)

in my old school it was from 3:10 (hometime) to 4:30 (i think) and it took place on Fridays :sleep::ninja2::ninja::ninjagirl:
Half hour detention for being untidy? Thats stupid cos tidyness is subjective. I wonder sometimes if these people actually have any clue about schools.
Reply 17
I found out about a school the other day that gives "detentions" to students who do badly in a class tests. The worst thing is that in the detention they don't have the class teacher there to help them (they work in silence) and they just have to show that they are doing work from any subject. I don't know how common this is in schools but I find it pretty nauseating.
Original post by Sir Cumference
I found out about a school the other day that gives "detentions" to students who do badly in a class tests. The worst thing is that in the detention they don't have the class teacher there to help them (they work in silence) and they just have to show that they are doing work from any subject. I don't know how common this is in schools but I find it pretty nauseating.

Lmao my old school did that...
Original post by Mike172

Well, at my school, we get our detention doubled if we skive it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending