The Student Room Group
Biomed and bio chem had about 30hours contact time at essex uni in first year including a couple of practicles. we had 24 hours of lectures and 6 of practicals - 2 3hour ones a week, til i had done 3 practicals in each subject
Some courses will give you completely unchallenging multiple choice first year exams that you could pass without turning upto the lectures for assuming you did well at A'levels and aren't braindead, whereas others are really quite demanding and take learning to a level above and beyond anything you had done at A'level.

It really does depend on where you study. Some unis are more equal than others :tongue:
Reply 3
My course - we had between 1 and 3 practicals (3hrs each) per week for most weeks. Each practical had a write-up, most given a week to complete, but some done there and then. Some modules had tests which were worth a % of the final module mark. There were 2 one hour lectures per week per module, so on average about 12hrs per week in lectures. There were also some tutorials & workshops, but on average only an hour or 2 per week. One double module was coursework only with set dates for the work to be given in by. Exams in January and June. January ones not so bad as lectures finish mid december and don't start again til end of jan. June ones harder as we had lectures right up to the week before the exams started.
Obviously different unis will have different structures to the courses, so its worth checking the prospoectus/website of particular unis you are interested in.
Reply 4
Well imo a course is as much work as you choose to make it, I knew people that worked 9-5 every day for their degree, whereas I missed loads of lectures, did cwork at the last minute and still passed my first year (just under a 2:1).. just do what you feel comfortable doing!
Plenty of time for drinking, do not worry :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending