The Student Room Group

Is the email address "[email protected] k" legitimate?

I received an email this morning from this email address claiming to offer me more financial support for living away from home. It is asking for confirmation of my student accomodation and some current banks statements as evidence for this.
I am just left wondering if this is somehow a scam or wether or not it is legitmate as I can't find any supporting evidence for this to be a real email address.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrvalane
I received an email this morning from this email address claiming to offer me more financial support for living away from home. It is asking for confirmation of my student accomodation and some current banks statements as evidence for this.
I am just left wondering if this is somehow a scam or wether or not it is legitmate as I can't find any supporting evidence for this to be a real email address.

Hello,

It sounds like you’ve been selected as part of a sample check, to get further clarity on this I would suggest you call our customer services on 0300 100 0607.
Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am 8pm and 9am- 4pm on Saturday. From 7th April, various lines will be open on a Sunday from 9am to 4pm

Thanks, Lynsey.
Hi, did you get an answer to this?I was wondering the same thing as I got an email too and it was fairly badly written and they couldn't even put the hyperlink to their email address in correctly. Additionally I could find 0 online about sample checks and I would have thought the company themselves would have a webpage on it, not to mention various people discussing it online.
Reply 3
Original post by Megwen2323
Hi, did you get an answer to this?I was wondering the same thing as I got an email too and it was fairly badly written and they couldn't even put the hyperlink to their email address in correctly. Additionally I could find 0 online about sample checks and I would have thought the company themselves would have a webpage on it, not to mention various people discussing it online.

Lynsey above is the only response I've been given regarding the matter. I have decided to leave it alone as I have been scammed before and it is not worth it.
Pls let us know any update as i got the same thing just now...
Hi,

A sample check commenced on 11 October 2019 requesting evidence from students who have indicated they will be living Elsewhere on their student finance application. Requests will come from the email address [email protected] and students should respond to the email with requested documents or to confirm that they are living in their parental home.

If you have questions about the sample check you can call 0300 100 0081.

Regards,
Stuart
Reply 6
***I BELIVE IT'S A SCAM - AVOID***Just had my daughter telling me she has sent some information to them. A girl in her house also been selected in the 'random sample check'; a coincidence for two people to be chosen from the same house?Warning on Government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/freshers-avoid-the-phishers-netSee particularly: Steven Darling, Director for Repayment and Counter Fraud Strategy at the Student Loans Company, said: “We’re reminding all students that we’ll never request their personal or banking details by email or text message.Do not call the number on the email to check if legit (as anyone could set one up and I can't find it on the Government website), instead use the official one here: https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-englandSpeak to the fraud department at your bank if you feel you have divulged your information and check you account for suspicious activity.How have all these email addresses got into the hands of fraudsters?N
Original post by N Wigan
***I BELIVE IT'S A SCAM - AVOID***Just had my daughter telling me she has sent some information to them. A girl in her house also been selected in the 'random sample check'; a coincidence for two people to be chosen from the same house?Warning on Government website: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/freshers-avoid-the-phishers-netSee particularly: Steven Darling, Director for Repayment and Counter Fraud Strategy at the Student Loans Company, said: “We’re reminding all students that we’ll never request their personal or banking details by email or text message.Do not call the number on the email to check if legit (as anyone could set one up and I can't find it on the Government website), instead use the official one here: https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-englandSpeak to the fraud department at your bank if you feel you have divulged your information and check you account for suspicious activity.How have all these email addresses got into the hands of fraudsters?N

Hi there,

If your daughter has received an email from [email protected] I can assure you it is genuine and she has been selected as part of a random sample check.

If your daughter has any questions about this she should contact us on 0300 100 0081 to talk to the relevant team or she can call us on 0300 100 0607 and we can transfer her to the correct team.

Thanks, Ashley.
I've just emailed some documents to them...What should I do now? I didn't realise it was a scam
Original post by Angelic Charm
I've just emailed some documents to them...What should I do now? I didn't realise it was a scam

Hi,

Were you replying to this address? [email protected]

If so, that's a genuine request, so you don't need to worry about this.

Warm regards, Graeme
My daughter has had the same email - I'm worried about this as it asks for bank account number and sort code and I'm not happy providing this. Just reported to Phishing at SLC but received an automated request with little information in it. Im going to call the main number for SLC to find out more info. If it is genuine then its a terribly worded email and they shouldnt be asking for personal information.
Original post by Alipally23
My daughter has had the same email - I'm worried about this as it asks for bank account number and sort code and I'm not happy providing this. Just reported to Phishing at SLC but received an automated request with little information in it. Im going to call the main number for SLC to find out more info. If it is genuine then its a terribly worded email and they shouldnt be asking for personal information.

Hi there,

If the email was received from [email protected] then yes this is correct. We advise student's to send the relevant evidence to make sure they are getting the correct funding.

Thanks, Erin
So basically you are advising this student to send her bank statement with her sort code and account number via email ?!?! we were told 1000 times not to do so by student finance themselves . “We want to remind customers that we will never request a customer’s personal or banking details by email or text message. you can find this quote on here (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/warning-as-fraudsters-target-students-final-loan-instalments)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
I’ve just got an email about this, and even if it is genuine I don’t feel comfortable sending screenshots of my bank statement to someone over email. I think I’ll just leave it and hope it’s a scam...
Original post by Jr331
I’ve just got an email about this, and even if it is genuine I don’t feel comfortable sending screenshots of my bank statement to someone over email. I think I’ll just leave it and hope it’s a scam...

Hi,

This is a genuine email from ourselves. Please do respond with the evidence required as we need this to proceed with your application.

Regards, Duncan
So is this real or not? Yikes I already sent the documents, I’m ****ed if it’s a scam lmao
"Hi,

This is a genuine email from ourselves. Please do respond with the evidence required as we need this to proceed with your application.

Regards, Duncan"

Sorry, this seems even odder now what do you mean to proceed with an application. I got this email and both I and my university have already been paid.
(edited 4 years ago)
Can the 'official rep' please confirm whether or not they are asking students to send bank account numbers and sort codes via email despite advice from just about all other institutions telling you not to do this. Surely the only thing any student would need to send is a receipt from their landlord with the payees name and current address on. Bank statements will only show an amount being paid out, not the name of the company it has been sent to so why would a statement be required.
Reply 18
My daughter received texts and emails a month ago - looked like a scam so ignored it. She has now received a letter to parents' address. I phoned SLC Tel No 0300 100 0081 and the lady I spoke to was so annoyed that I wanted to know who they were and what it was about made me believe it was a scam still. There was a threat of her student loan would be adjusted if the documents not provided immediately as they take 10 working days to process. I tried to question the need for a bank statement but was dismissed. I was told my daughter should have responded sooner - tried to explain a student would not respond to a request to provide bank details and AST to a badly written text - it is everything they are told not to do.I phoned my daughter's student accommodation who said they had not heard of this - they are a large student accommodation supplier in London and they advised me to fully investigate and not to send bank documents. They provided their receipt.I have just phoned SFE and spoke to Sarah who said it is legitimate and lots of people are phoning them to check this and saying the same thing as me. It does seem strange no communication has gone to universities, student accommodation etc. Apparently, it is the first year they have done such checks.I have not sent the documents yet - suggest people fully check with university, accommodation, SFE first.
I also got the email but I'm ignoring it as a) They specifically mention on the government website that they will NEVER ask you to provide sensitive information via email. b) The vast amount of grammatical mistakes, in an email by the Student Loan Company they most likely would be able to have someone proofread it if Word can notice the grammar issues then a government company should be able to. c) In the email, they provide a completely different number than the actual SLC Number, they tell you to call 0300 100 0081, the correct numbers are provided on the government website and this number is not on there. Chances are that it is a scam and if it is not a scam then the Student Loan Company should know better than this. We live in an age where internet fraud is very common, yet they thought it was a good idea to send an email asking for similar things as fraud email, never mentioning that it might be a thing before mind you, and with the only information online about it being people asking if it's a scam. It's obviously a scam though, I've seen emails from 'Nigerian Princes' that are more believable than this!

Latest

Trending

Trending