Is this a healthy resting heart rate? Watch

Cynicism 101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello! *waves*

I recently had a check-up with my doctor and he seemed slightly surprised that my resting heart rate was around 135. He told me to take my pulse every morning right after I wake up and my heart rate has been around 130-135. I always used to have a slightly higher heart rate (~90-95 bpm) but now I'm scared if this is actually healthy?

Any help would be appreciated
The Toffy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thats very high. I think if you're about 17-18 your heart rate at rest should be about 65-80bpm
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Are you keeping a record to take back to your doctor?
kates:)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just did mine and it was 67bpm.
I'm surprised that the Doc didn't say anything to you if your heartrate was that high.
Laursy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
surely if it was anything serious the doctor would have done something about it and not just tell you to take your pulse, if you are worried ask the docotor to do tests on you, (the docs i go to aren;t very helpful, told me i had hayfever and a few weeks later couldn'y swallow then told me i had severe tonsilitus) its better to put your mind at ease rather then worry as it won't help!!

it is very scary coz last year i got really ill and my heart rate was up to 190, the hospital had no idea what was wrong with me, told my parents my kidneys were failing but then it turned out i had meningitus, they made me blow on a syringe and put ice on my neck to slow my heart down and then put me on a drip, scary stuff, hope it dunt freak you out!!
g_star_raw_1989
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
That seems rather high.
Transatlanticdrawl_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cynicism 101)
Hello! *waves*

I recently had a check-up with my doctor and he seemed slightly surprised that my resting heart rate was around 135. He told me to take my pulse every morning right after I wake up and my heart rate has been around 130-135. I always used to have a slightly higher heart rate (~90-95 bpm) but now I'm scared if this is actually healthy?

Any help would be appreciated
Slightly surprised? err
perkyDani
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
seems really high to me, mine is about 64, think thats quite normal, I would ahve thought over 80 was really really high, but don't know, if the doc said it was fine it should be i suppose
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My heart rate is about 130 when I'm jogging ..

So yes, it's high.
helraizer
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
135? That's not overly good. Though there is a good explanation for it, that isn't your resting heart rate.

I went to the hospital t'other day and they took my blood pressure and pulse rate. When I went in, my pulse was 101 and blood pressure was something like 137/99 then after my op (yay for ingrowing hairs!! ¬_¬) when I was recovering from the anesthetic (I was relaxed) my pulse was 85 and my blood pressure was 118/77. They checked again before I was discharged and it was 98 & 130/90. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that in the Doctor's surgery you are not likely to be relaxed; you'll be apprehensive and such, so it's not actually your resting heart rate.

As long as you don't feel any different, it's not really a problem.
Ariana123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
My heart rate is about 130 when I'm jogging ..

So yes, it's high.
mine too! OP you should get it checked out, i think around 70 (depending on the person) beats per minute is average
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That does sound high.

Calculate (roughly) your maximum heart rate by doing 220 - your age.

So for me, aged 17, it's 203. Keep doing what your doctor says and ensure you don't exceed your max heart rate.
Running Mind
Report 10 years ago
Just did mine, and it is 72bpm. Is that fit, for a 16 year old?
Norfolk_Enchance
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mines around 80-100 normally while resting

is this very bad/unhealthy? anything i can do to reduce it
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by helraizer)
135? That's not overly good. Though there is a good explanation for it, that isn't your resting heart rate.

I went to the hospital t'other day and they took my blood pressure and pulse rate. When I went in, my pulse was 101 and blood pressure was something like 137/99 then after my op (yay for ingrowing hairs!! ¬_¬) when I was recovering from the anesthetic (I was relaxed) my pulse was 85 and my blood pressure was 118/77. They checked again before I was discharged and it was 98 & 130/90. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that in the Doctor's surgery you are not likely to be relaxed; you'll be apprehensive and such, so it's not actually your resting heart rate.

As long as you don't feel any different, it's not really a problem.
They said they've been taking it every morning though.
Cynicism 101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
Slightly surprised? err
Well, as I said my heart rate was always higher than usual and I did have an ECG like a week back which didn't show anything abnormal and I don't understand my doctor's expressions very well. I don't feel anything out of the usual, except the high heart rate is scaring me.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Norfolk_Enchance)
Mines around 80-100 normally while resting

is this very bad/unhealthy? anything i can do to reduce it
Do some excercise on a regular basis.

I'd say 80 was high but probably not enough to be a problem.
The Hodge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, as I understand it 60-80bpm is a healthy resting heart rate for young people. That's not to say that 80-100bpm is dangerous as a resting heart rate, just unhealthy. It depends upon your weight and fitness level. However, I would be concerned with anything above that. Has your doctor not looked into it any further? i.e. Given you a heart monitor?
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As people have said, 60 - 100 is fine, the lower end of that scale suggesting fitter. 100 - maybe 120 could just be a case of a lot of stress. When I'm really worrying about something I can easily hit 120 while sitting doing nothing. That said, if it goes on like that for more than an hour I feel exhausted. As high as 130 - 135 just after you wake up sounds quite disturbing . Can you feel it beating in your chest constantly?
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wow, that is abnormally high, I've gotta be honest with you. Try measuring it yourself (you're a future medic so I'm hoping you know how ) and see if 135 is consistent (approximately anyway!). If it is, think about things that may have affected your heartrate...were you previously active and now less so? Are you feeling ill at all? Do you have a family history of high heart rates? Etc...

I'd go back and see your doctor, as that doesnt sound right. Genetically some people have higher/lower heart-rates than average, but anything above 90 resting would seem odd for most people.

And to hijack a bit, I've possibly got the lowest resting HR here...when completely relaxed it goes down to 40bpm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (561)
37.68%
No - but I will (116)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (106)
7.12%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (706)
47.41%

Watched Threads