The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, 135bpm at rest is high. Medically, you are exhibiting tachycardia and I'm fairly surprised that your doctor didn't verbally acknowledge the fact. Your age, weight and fitness level may all cause a raised heart rate and (with the obvious exception of age!) you could improve your heart rate by addressing these factors.

Also a bit surprised at some of the poor advice earlier in this thread (well, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised; it is TSR after all), whereby people were implying that >80bpm is "too high", when actually 60-100bpm is generally deemed to be acceptable.
I just did mine, I got about 88 beats in a minute. Is that ok???
*pitseleh*
Yes, 135bpm at rest is high. Medically, you are exhibiting tachycardia and I'm fairly surprised that your doctor didn't verbally acknowledge the fact. Your age, weight and fitness level may all cause a raised heart rate and (with the obvious exception of age!) you could improve your heart rate by addressing these factors.

Also a bit surprised at some of the poor advice earlier in this thread (well, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised; it is TSR after all), whereby people were implying that >80bpm is "too high", when actually 60-100bpm is generally deemed to be acceptable.

I've always been slightly tachycardic most of the time, and as I said, I recently had an ECG which was normal. I'm 17, I weight about 60 kgs, and I'm fairly active. At least, not inactive to a level where any great change would occur in my heart rate. Oh, I already knew that 60-100 is normal

Spoiler

101 Cynicism
I've always been slightly tachycardic most of the time, and as I said, I recently had an ECG which was normal. I'm 17, I weight about 60 kgs, and I'm fairly active. At least, not inactive to a level where any great change would occur in my heart rate. Oh, I already knew that 60-100 is normal

Spoiler

Ah, missed the bit about the ECG.

And the comment about the acceptable HR range was more directed at the people who don't seem to know that, rather than at you. :wink:
I had my blood pressure taken today and my pulse. My blood pressure was ok but my pulse was 123bpm, but then again, that was in the doctor's surgery so I was probably nervous. For a resting heart rate between 60 - 100 is normal, athletes should be 40 - 60, anything more for resting is probably not a good sign.
Reply 45
hmm im confused. Im just under 9 stone at 5 foot 6 and do excercise every day including a proper, full,heavy workout twice a week. I'm also a fairly healthy eater so i don't get why mine is 87 bpm. im a girl btw....
Hmm sounds a bit high!! I'm 16 and mine is usually around 95-100 bpm. And I didn't think I was that unfit..
Reply 47
Norfolk_Enchance
Mines around 80-100 normally while resting

is this very bad/unhealthy? anything i can do to reduce it

regular exercise will lower it in the long term :-)
Reply 48
Mines is 66BPM!
Reply 49
CMTech
Mines is 66BPM!

For some reason I just read that as 668BPM!
kate03
For some reason I just read that as 668BPM!

I did too, might be slightly dead at that speed.. or some kind of human humming bird :p:
Reply 51
helraizer
I did too, might be slightly dead at that speed.. or some kind of human humming bird :p:

Actually you'd be very active at that heart rate!
CMTech
Actually you'd be very active at that heart rate!

On the contrary, if your heart rate was 668 BPM (over 3 times the max) the likelihood of not having a heart attack is pretty slim. :p:

On the chance that post was a joke, yes you would indeed be very active. Though you'd most likely find yourself with a weird allergy to kryptonite :p:
Reply 53
101 Cynicism
Hello! *waves*

I recently had a check-up with my doctor and he seemed slightly surprised that my resting heart rate was around 135. He told me to take my pulse every morning right after I wake up and my heart rate has been around 130-135. I always used to have a slightly higher heart rate (~90-95 bpm) but now I'm scared if this is actually healthy?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

This is not necessarily unhealthy - everyone is different and your natural resting heart rate of 90 bpm is not especially abnormal - when you wake up an adrenergic release increases heart rate to wake you up so this also could be perfectly normal. I have a similar resting heart rate and have seen two different cardiologists (at the time I had tachycardia - my heart was consistently beating at 140bpm) and gone through a barrage of tests (doppler echoes, 24 hr ecg, catecholamine function etc) and there was nothing physically wrong with my heart, or in fact anything else. The most important thing to test is your heart rhythm range - ie it should fall to around 40 bpm whilst you are asleep - you should therefore get a 3 channel 24hr ambulatory ecg just to set your mind at rest. Go and see the GP and try to get a referral if you are concerned.
Reply 54
Mine ranges between 48 and 58 depending on my fitness level
Kind of unrelated, but I was thinking earlier while bored at work...

Could you slow your haert rate (manually) to say half it's speed but manage to keep your brain in sync with heart rate so everything goes twice as fast relative to you?
To thread starter, If you counted 135, you probably miscounted your heartbeats, like counted 2 beats when it was actually 1.

Oh and mine's 90bpm, and I havent done any excercise at all in the past year. (well the only real excercise i did other than walking in badminton, twice in total in the past year)
Keni
To thread starter, If you counted 135, you probably miscounted your heartbeats, like counted 2 beats when it was actually 1.

Oh and mine's 90bpm, and I havent done any excercise at all in the past year. (well the only real excercise i did other than walking in badminton, twice in total in the past year)

Heh, I'm pretty sure me, my two doctors and the guy doing the ECG didn't all miscount :p:
Reply 58
101 Cynicism
Hello! *waves*

I recently had a check-up with my doctor and he seemed slightly surprised that my resting heart rate was around 135. He told me to take my pulse every morning right after I wake up and my heart rate has been around 130-135. I always used to have a slightly higher heart rate (~90-95 bpm) but now I'm scared if this is actually healthy?

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

How old are you? Actully, that doesnt really matter TOO much, you are tachycardic..meaning your heart is beating way too fast. I dont want to scare you, but you really should go see a cardiologist about this. It could a sinus arrhythmia.

Are you doing drugs? Like something to :"boost" your mental sharpness during exam times?

Let me know
Reply 59
101 Cynicism
Heh, I'm pretty sure me, my two doctors and the guy doing the ECG didn't all miscount :p:

So you've been to a Dr. and done an ECG....they DIDNT tell you that it was unhealthy or Rx you a drug to lower it?

Latest

Trending

Trending