Names Watch

punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Does a person's name matter in terms of relationships? Would you date a George or a Mildred? What about a man with the surname Bottomhugger? Would a name you disliked put you off a person initially?

Conversely, are you more attracted to people with unusual or exotic names?

Do you tend to group all "Michaels" (for example) you've met into one category, based on one or several unpleasant people called Michael?

Would you ever change your name if your partner asked you to?
lazza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i've actually dated 3 people with place name names

they were all ******s

otherwise, i reckon there's always deedpoll/now it's acceptable to keep your own surname in marriage
Emmska
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dated a guy named Hector.. It really doesn't make a difference.
Bassoonery
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do sometimes see men with horrendously unfortunate surnames and wonder how they ever got married. Similarly I can't understand the cruelty of parents who give their sons' names which are just wrong when paired with the permanent surname.

I'd like to say the name wouldn't matter to me, but deep down I think it does- the surname a lot more than the first name. Unusual first names like Harold are quite quirky I think! And they can usually be shortened to more conventional names.

Edit: And OP, I definitely don't see what's so bad about the name George?!
Emmaleuk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nah names don't matter do me...though I have had three boyfriends called Ben....and my brother is also called Ben lol
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My last name's Sweeney, and my girlfriend's is Todd...so no, not really :p:
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
most people probably have a stereotype for each name, a picture in their head, that could well be nagative. However, if i know a 'mildred' who is not like that then that image will change and hearing 'mildred' would for an image of her rather then some silly stereotype. it would not be an issue
billet-doux
Badges: 2
Report 10 years ago
I would never change my (first) name if my partner asked me to, and I don't particularly think names matter a great deal in a relationship. People often take the piss out of my name (because it's an unusual name) therefore I tend to prefer more tranditional names, but nevertheless some exotic names are quite nice too.
TheShrimp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jayk)
My last name's Sweeney, and my girlfriend's is Todd...so no, not really :p:
Haha excellent

Of course there are some names that people will personally prefer, but I think you'd have to be very shallow to not want to see beyond a name if you didn't like it... (and I quite like the name, George, OP!)
Bear_Grylls
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No, what have names got to do with anything
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why is this in health and relationships? This is clearly meant for chat or general discussion.

No I wouldn't change my name if someone asked me to. Who in their right mind would change their name because of someone else?

If they don't like my name that can take a run and jump.

A first name would only matter to a significantly shallow person. As for surname, for goodness sake you don't choose your name. If you're a man and you don't like your fiancée's surname it doesn't matter, if you're a girl and don't like your fiancé's name don't change your one? It's not illegal to keep your own name.
Changing my name to please someone else is like saying that I don't like myself and I'm admitting that there is something wrong with me and I'm correcting it to please them as well as myself. If I find nothing wrong with it, why change it? And even to please yourself, it's silly you can't go out with a mildred and then suddenly be going out with a Melissa.

This sort of question is like someone asking "would you go out with a girl with small boobs? Would you ask them to change it (like make them go and have cosmetic surgery to please your own shallow self?" What has this world come to?

This thread is quite pointless and definitely shouldn't be in this forum.

A person with an exotic name is interesting but it wouldn't make them more attractive, again that would make me incredibly shallow.
Freud
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TBH I prefer unusual, old fashioned names to dull normal ones.
Redpanda91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, if you love someone their name doesn't matter. I know a guy called Harald (yes, spelt like that)... but then he is Belgian. But he lives over here and I'm pretty sure any gf he has isn't put off by his name!
I do do the grouping thing sometimes though, like I knew a really horrible girl called Jessica and if I meet a new person with the same name I'm immediately a bit wary... although if I meet any Charlotte's I won't be wary in the slightest!
Feexx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Imnot too fussed on the name front, i once dated a guy called Fergus so it doesnt bother me

i wouldnt change my name for anyone....
Tufts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't give a crap
KelZee
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think it would matter too much to me, though it really depends what the name was. I think I'd just get used to it after a while though.

I would probably give my partner a nickname if their real name was that bad XD
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
both my bf and I have double-barrelled surnames.. we joke that if we got married we would keep them all and have a quadruple-barrelled name!
dh00001
Report 10 years ago
name doesnt really bother me. if it did i would give them a nickname or something
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I knew a boy in school called Nigel Prick.

Vampyrcorn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dream of dating a guy with the first name 'TSR'. :love:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (330)
37.37%
No - but I will (71)
8.04%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.45%

Watched Threads