The Student Room Group

Physics or Astrophysics Work Experience (Year 12)

I’m desperately trying to find work experience for astrophysics, preferably around north west England if it isn’t over summer. I was really looking forward to the Jodrell Bank work experience but it isn’t running this year :frown: I know about the NSO one but any other suggestions?? I’ve heard of people shadowing university lecturers but I’m not sure how that works...
Reply 1
Okay, first of all work experience is not required to get into a physics or astrophysics course. This is mainly because these courses are not too competitive. I didn't have any work experience and got 5 offers for physics. The only exception to this may be oxbridge. If you really want work experience, I'd say shadowing a university lecturer would be good however university lecturers are very busy and I would be surprise if you were allowed to do this. Perhaps volunteer helping out in a university physics lab, setting up apparatus etc. If you want to stand out from other candidates and you love physics try doing the physics olympiad, this will also improve your physics hugely as its aimed well above a level physics standard. You only really need to care about work experience etc if you want to go to oxbridge, you will get into other unis with good a levels and an attempt at a personal statement. My brother went to cambridge to do chemistry with zero work experience as well, so don't sweat it. Don't underestimate the value of general work experience though, it will help you finding a job in the future, employers love loads of work experience even if its stuff like working at macdonalds.

Quick Reply

Latest