Can't make sense of rearranging algebra Watch

grizzly2106
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a question regarding rearranging algebra. I have found the soultions for the first part of the question. But am struggling to put it into context when rearranging...Name:  6F34BBC4-B0A2-4263-9C0B-27B43126EE36.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  117.9 KB
On question 3b i keep getting -48, which doesn’t make any sense. I have tried doing all the whatever you do to one side do to the other. But it seems not to work out. I made A the subject of the equation, but keep getting an unrealistic negative number...
Last edited by grizzly2106; 4 weeks ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by grizzly2106)
I have a question regarding rearranging algebra. I have found the soultions for the first part of the question. But am struggling to put it into context when rearranging...
Think of equations as a perfectly balanced set of scales. When rearranging, you need to keep them balanced, so whatever you do to one side, you have to do to the other as well. Exactly what to do is where a bit of practice and intuition comes in.
grizzly2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Think of equations as a perfectly balanced set of scales. When rearranging, you need to keep them balanced, so whatever you do to one side, you have to do to the other as well. Exactly what to do is where a bit of practice and intuition comes in.
Thanks...I could do the replacing in question 3a, getting realistic measures for the medicine. The 14yr old got 3.5 and the 30 year old 3.75..Any ideas why I'm gettting a negative age after rearranging?
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a question regarding rearranging algebra. I have found the soultions for the first part of the question. But am struggling to put it into context when rearranging...

Thanks...I could do the replacing in question 3a, getting realistic measures for the medicine. The 14yr old got 3.5 and the 30 year old 3.75..Any ideas why I'm gettting a negative age after rearranging?
Must be a maths error in the rearrangement, I get them all coming out positive and nice sensible looking numbers.

You will sometimes end up with 2 possible solutions for a quadratic equation (which this is not) and you may then have to chose the one that is "physical", e.g. a positive age is ok, a negative age is not. If you get an unphysical answer here, its telling you to look for an error.
AGrizzlyBearo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you show your workings for the question where you are getting a negative?
grizzly2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by AGrizzlyBearo)
Can you show your workings for the question where you are getting a negative?
Name:  B37F8C80-9A10-4492-9810-89E23C480033.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  87.8 KB
simon0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  B37F8C80-9A10-4492-9810-89E23C480033.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  87.8 KB
It looks like you had three attempts. The lower-left attempt is correct.

In general, be careful not forgetting the "d" as in the other two attempts the "d" (in term 10d) dissapears.
Last edited by simon0; 4 weeks ago
grizzly2106
Rep:
?
(Original post by simon0)
It looks like you had three attempts. The lower-left attempt is correct.

In general, be careful not forgetting the "d" as in the other two attempts the "d" (in term 10d) dissapears.
That’s great! It works out as 22...much appreciated with your help...it’s so much clearer now!!!
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That’s great! It works out as 22...much appreciated with your help...it’s so much clearer now!!!
And congrats for actually showing your workings and getting a fix in the end ! Lots of hopeful seekers after homework answers here just post and run, their loss as they miss out on really useful guidance that way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (145)
19.1%
Labour (323)
42.56%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.29%
Green Party (41)
5.4%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)