The Student Room Group

English/ Irish

I come from a family that on one side my mum and her family are extremely proud Irish Republicans and on my dads side they are all proud Englishman. I identify as being British and am proud of that but I am also proud of my Irish heritage. How can I deal with this conflict of identity as I love my Irish family but they are against the UK and my English family dont like the IRA :frown: 🇬🇧🇮🇪
Reply 1
Original post by benwood2004
I come from a family that on one side my mum and her family are extremely proud Irish Republicans and on my dads side they are all proud Englishman. I identify as being British and am proud of that but I am also proud of my Irish heritage. How can I deal with this conflict of identity as I love my Irish family but they are against the UK and my English family dont like the IRA :frown: 🇬🇧🇮🇪

Are they from the north or south of Ireland?
I think in today’s world it’s hard for people to accept each other as we create some much of an identity for ourselves through labels, when in the end we are all just the same. We’re all human and we should all accept eachother. Just make sure they know you like them no matter what as you see them behind the label they’ve made. I really feel for you though, just be as loving and open as possible and hopefully it will rub off them too! For the conflict of your identity I say don’t let the heritage have that power of you, embrace both sides of yourself, it will feel much better than battling with it. I’m really sorry I can’t help further, I really hope you get more precise support and just remember, be as loving and open as possible.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney

It is probably best to avoid all talk of politics and religion and focus on them as people rather than whether they are English or Irish.What aspect of this is particularly bothering you.
republicans 🤢 🤮
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney

South
Reply 6
Leprechaun
Reply 7
they just have to get on with it

taking issue with the british govt does not equate to taking issue with british people, it's really very simple
Reply 8
South

Interesting ,do your relatives actively say they do not like each other.How do they react to your parents for instance?Writimg this as a daughter of one Northern Irish Protestant and one Irish Catholic.
Reply 9
My english relatives never see my irish relatives, parents have been divorced 10 years
My english relatives never see my irish relatives, parents have been divorced 10 years

I think learning the history of the relationship between the Irish and the English may help you put things into context.If you understand the history you can understand the thinking.I am sure your English relatives do not like what the IRA terrorists have done and nor do many Irish people but they will not dislike all Irish people.Likewise your Irish relatives may not like what the British establishment have done in Ireland but I doubt they hate all British people.Information and tolerance is the answer here.
my mum is brummie english, old man is scottish from edinburgh..i call em Burgers haha :bigsmile: he moved to eng in the 80s, went to a rave in north midlands/nottingham, and met my mum at a rave haha. i relate to both groups but..i wanna learn more about my dad's culture. i fit in smashingly up in scotland though.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
my mum is brummie english, old man is scottish from edinburgh..i call em Burgers haha :bigsmile: he moved to eng in the 80s, went to a rave in north midlands/nottingham, and met my mum at a rave haha. i relate to both groups but..i wanna learn more about my dad's culture. i fit in smashingly up in scotland though.

But I thought Edinburgh was quite gentile!!!!
Reply 13
Original post by gjd800
they just have to get on with it

taking issue with the british govt does not equate to taking issue with british people, it's really very simple

Absolutely spot on it’s not the English individuals we dislike,it is simply there government and past governments we dislike not them as individuals...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending