Do I stand a chance for the Top5? or where should I apply to? Watch

Liliahh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi, I want to ask what unis I should apply to, I got rubbish GCSEs because I've just moved to England at that time and had difficulties with English. I did 12 GCSEs 1/3 A*A 1/3 B 1/3 C in which I got As and Bs in all major subjects
I went to a much better school in Y12, I'm now doing FM,Maths,Physics and Music A-Levels which were predicted AAAB, above that I'm doing FM independently (this was indicated in my UCAS reference by my maths teacher, and she wrote a really stunning report about me =.=). I do a lot of things outside the school, such as: compete for School Concil and I do voluntry work (in a company learn and help to deal with money stuff) and part time job, and I'm sure I will have a brilliant PS.
However my GCSEs...in my previous school we had to do subjects like MEDIA STUDIES.ERR......and there were rarely anyone doing Seperated Sciences, not awaring how important GCSE subjects were I did such poorly.......also my teacher from the new school did suggest me just to work hard on my A-levels and not to retake any of my GCSEs...
do I not stand a chance of getting in the Top5 ? In fact my last choice was Bristol, but having see sooo many treads about many people with great results applied and still got rejected, I realise that I may have to reconsider my options... should I lower my options on uni? How does everybody think? Which unis should I apply to? or which uni should I put down as my last option to insure an offer?
The course I want to do in uni is: Economics and Mathematics. or Econ alone if apply to UCL.
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't you have to be fluent at English and write quite well to do well in an economics degree? Your A levels are fine; just apply to a few in the top 5 and a couple outside the top 5.
Folderol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
UCL say AAA-AAB

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prosp-students/...shs/economics/

I dont think you should worry so much. It's only LSE and Durham that really care about GCSEs (or so I've heard)
Liliahh
Rep:
?
Really? that sounds really encouraging. My choices were Cambridge (I think I can get credit in the interview..),LSE,UCL,Warwick and Bristol..however..I always fear that I will get rejections from all of these unis because of my poor GCSEs....eventhough I have shown my real potential in A-Level...
Folderol
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liliahh)
Really? that sounds really encouraging. My choices were Cambridge (I think I can get credit in the interview..),LSE,UCL,Warwick and Bristol..however..I always fear that I will get rejections from all of these unis because of my poor GCSEs....eventhough I have shown my real potential in A-Level...
I really wouldnt worry about it. Even the ones who do care (LSE, Durham) only want you to have good GCSEs in Maths and English (most of the time) - and thats onlyfor some subjects (like Law)

Even Cambridge just wants AAA (Maths included) and I think some of their colleges prefer F.Maths (Christ and Corpus Christi for sure) - but you said you were doing that, so you really shouldnt worry.

I checked LSE for you, it doesnt specify anything on their site about GCSEs, so again you'll be fine

(Original post by LSE)
Course requirement: A level Mathematics is required. A level Economics is not essential. No other specific subjects are required at A level, but we prefer traditional academic subjects to subjects such as Communication Studies, Accounting, Business Studies or Media Studies
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Make sure you've got a back up, dont use all your choices to the Top 5, thats if your willing to go to a "5-10 Uni", or is it Top 5 or nothing?
Liliahh
Rep:
?
So would Bristol be secure enough as a back up?
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lol not really because they are notorious for rejecting a lot of people as they have a limited number of places on their economics course, especially joint hons.
ninety_nine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So would Bristol be insure enough as a back up?
Bristol's also very, very competitive for Economics, it isn't really a viable backup option.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Reality check. Many people will have 4 A's, so you aren't really that special as you have one B. You must be bonkers to only apply to the top 5 universities for Economics - even people with straight A*'s/A's get rejected from all top 5.
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Or take the risk, and try again the year after if you dont get an offer.
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Donald Duck)
You'll be fine, don't worry. You should even apply to Oxbridge in my opinion (I got Ds in english lit and lang for IGCSE as I was new to the UK, and they gave me an offer for engineering), the only thing is that you have to be able to write essays. I don't know much about music, but do you write essays there?

Anyway, you should definetely try, possibly take oxbridge, ucl, another dream uni (I don't reccomend LSE) and 2 unis where you're almost certian to get in, like Bristol and another, easier to get in uni you still would go to.

How on earth is the OP "almost certain" to get into Bristol?
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mufc4life)
How on earth is the OP "almost certain" to get into Bristol?
Awesome reference, lots of potential for PS, has maths and FM, but also shows a different side with his music, predicted AAAB, seems to be like he is, if not almost certain, at least very likely to get in.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL donald you seriously do not have a clue. Bristol have an application to place ratio of 20 in economics, and most if not all will have straight A's along with good references etc.
Liliahh
Rep:
?
Is there any recommendation on which uni is a good back up for my condition? We do write essays in Music~ and is joint Hon even harder to get in than Single? does that applies to all unis?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bristol isn't really 'safe' as a backup at all; I had Southampton as my 5th choice as their entry requirements were lower and it is a very nice university.
I suggest that you seriously consider replacing one if not two of your choices with safer backups.

EDIT: And in answer to your title question, yes you do stand a chance for the top 5, but don't underestimate the importance of the personal statement (and also AS marks for Cambridge).
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Donald Duck)
Awesome reference, lots of potential for PS, has maths and FM, but also shows a different side with his music, predicted AAAB, seems to be like he is, if not almost certain, at least very likely to get in.
Come on mate your advising someone on their life/career choices, atleast have the decency to know what your talking about.
Liliahh
Rep:
?
should I replace Bristol with Southamp? or replace LSE...
mufc4life
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
should I replace Bristol with Southamp? or replace LSE...
If i were you i would wait till you receive your AS results.
prospectivEEconomist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^good advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise